FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Freeway Games twist

Author Topic: Freeway Games twist
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, haven't posted here in quite a while! I'm taking a literature course in which we get to choose a short story to analyze and present. The short story must have an element of evil. My group has chosen "Freeway Games" (at my suggestion; gotta spread the OSC love!).

One member of the group got the impression that the last woman in the story, the woman in the red Audi who leads to the twist at the end, is actually Liz, his girlfriend that he was going to meet. She says at the end that she's late for a meeting in Salt Lake. My friend thought the two of them were a perfect match all along because of this sick game they both played without knowing it.

I thought it would be a really interesting interpretation, but I never read it that way. I'm wondering if this was the intent, and I missed it? Anyone else see that?

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I've read the story in question before, so I can't be much help in that regard.

But, hello. Good to see you. [Wave]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm drawing on dusty data banks, but it seems to me that you know what your kind of car your girlfriend/boyfriend drives, so they would have recognized each other at some point or other if that was the case.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought so too, but they haven't seen each other in quite a while at that point.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
And it would make more sense once the character Liz is introduced, to actually have her take part in the story directly instead of just influencing Stanley through their past relationship.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I never understood about the story... [SPOILERS] at the end it turns out that the Audi driver is playing her own murderous game, and has killed before...

How does that work though? Are there THAT many guys like Stanley that will follow and torment someone in a car until they end up dying themselves?

I mean, Stanley is the chaser, the active one here, and she is the bait for him. How many people can she really kill if she is the passive partner in this "game"?

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! My thoughts were the very same when I read it the first time many years ago.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
"Freeway Games" is one of the most disturbing stories I've ever read. It honestly haunts me alot when I'm driving home late at night.

I hadn't ever thought of the girl in the red Audi being Liz, but that is definitely an interesting interpretation. It makes the story spookier in one way, but less spooky in another way.

:-) I like mind twists.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seatarsprayan:
One thing I never understood about the story... [SPOILERS] at the end it turns out that the Audi driver is playing her own murderous game, and has killed before...

How does that work though? Are there THAT many guys like Stanley that will follow and torment someone in a car until they end up dying themselves?

I mean, Stanley is the chaser, the active one here, and she is the bait for him. How many people can she really kill if she is the passive partner in this "game"?

[PSEUDO SPOILERS]
I think that notion is part of what makes the story "horror;" is the contention that yes, there are really that many people out there that will torment someone to that level. Enough that she can depend upon them to appear out of the woodwork and start to harass her so she can get her naughty yum yum time in killing them.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.