FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Maps in a Mirror - Your favorites?

Author Topic: Maps in a Mirror - Your favorites?
staredecisis
Member # 13054

- posted      Profile for staredecisis           Edit/Delete Post 
What are everybody's favorite stories from Maps in a Mirror? I just picked up a copy of the book from the early 1990s and wanted to know which ones to read first!

[ October 30, 2013, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: staredecisis ]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of good ones in there. I like "Deep Breathing Exercises" and "Fat Farm" but they're pretty bleak. And "A Thousand Deaths" and "Unaccompanied Sonata" are awesome too.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
staredecisis
Member # 13054

I read "Fat Farm" and it was pretty good. The short story version of "The Lost Boys" is my new favorite short story.

Any recommendations for the best stories from Keeper of Dreams? I just ordered my copy from the Hatrack River store (at a great price, I might add).

Posts: 40 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Mortal Gods...hands down!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is the Porcelain Salamander. Wonderful, wonderful story.

I also love Fat Farm, Prior Restraint, Lost Boys, A Thousand Deaths, and Kingsmeat, among others.

The story I felt the biggest divide between my opinion of the story and Card's opinion of the story was But We Try Not To Act Like It. I really enjoyed it, but Card seemed pretty dismissive of it in his mini-essay afterward.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
staredecisis
Member # 13054

I just read a few more. Porcelain Salamander stands out: in fact, I consider it the best short story I've ever read. To describe it as deeply philosophical is an understatement.

While I know this may sound heretical, having now read many of the stories in Maps in a Mirror, they are OSC's best work. Forget the Ender series... the man is simply the best short story writer I've encountered.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to look up the list of stories in that book...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

quote:
Originally posted by staredecisis:
the man is simply the best short story writer I've encountered.

Or at least the creepiest. I went from reading Ender's Game to reading a small collection of scort stories he wrote, "The Changed Man" I think...

I almost couldn't believe it was the same author. The man makes Shirley Jackson look downright light hearted!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Ok, upon review, I defnitely need to read "Maps" again, because I don't even remember half these stories from their titles, but here is my list:

For me, the absolute most unforgettable story in the entire book was "Freeway Games". I probably think about that story at least two or three times a week. It's so freaky to me because it's just so.... plausible. And twisted.

Of course, the short story version of "The Lost Boys" was also pretty intense. It's a beautiful, sad story.

"Unaccompanied Sonata" was definitely an excellent and tragic story. The "sheltered genius" imagery has never left me.

"Kingsmeat" was another one that really stuck in my head. Even years later, it's one of those things that comes up in my brain in idle moments, contemplating the nature of cruelty and salvation. It's also got some pretty powerful "imaginary visuals" if you know what I mean.

"St. Amy's Tale", again, is a story that never completely left me. It was got to me emotionally.

staredecisis
Member # 13054

I've finished reading them.

You're absolutely right, DDaysh. It does not seem like the same author.

I still think Porcelain Salamander is the best story of the lot. Unaccompanied Sonata and Lost Boys are my number two and three.

I also enjoyed The Bully and the Beast. My understanding is that OSC is turning it into a full length book now. I think it'd make a pretty good movie as well.

vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
quote:

Or at least the creepiest...
Well, somebody hasn't read Stephen King before. :-)

I'm not usually one to get discombobulated by books, but after reading Apt Pupil, I couldn't sleep that night. It's a complete psychological mind****.

I spent almost as much time pondering the story as I did pondering what type of person someone would have to be to come up with a short story like that.

EDIT: My comment is in response to DDDaysh's comment, not staredecisis'. I agree with stare's comment!

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
staredecisis
Member # 13054

I agree that Stephen King is creepier. I'm a huge fan of King's, and I like his non-horror better than his horror. I feel that he does an exemplary job of capturing American culture, creating lifelike characters. But King's short stories tend to be too drawn out, and frankly, they can be hit or miss.

OSC's stories are uniformly excellent. They can capture our culture (see "I Think Mom and Dad Are Going Crazy, Jerry" for a good example), but more often than not they actually tell us something about ourselves in a completely original way. His stories tend to have deep philisophical implications (see "The Porcelain Salamander"), yet they are entertaining enough for those that prefer the shallow end of the pool.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Eumenides in the Fourth Floor Lavatory" yet. That's the first one I read in Maps, and it's one story by OSC I have never been able to read again.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Some others that stick out in my mind are "Closing the Timelid", "Fat Farm", and "Deep Breathing Exercises".
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I have actually, but nothing of his has really creeped me out that much. I haven't read everything of his though... Some of it was pretty weird, but I didn't find any of the imagery particularly disturbing.

quote:
Originally posted by vineyarddawg:
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
quote:

Or at least the creepiest...
Well, somebody hasn't read Stephen King before. :-)

I'm not usually one to get discombobulated by books, but after reading Apt Pupil, I couldn't sleep that night. It's a complete psychological mind****.

I spent almost as much time pondering the story as I did pondering what type of person someone would have to be to come up with a short story like that.

EDIT: My comment is in response to DDDaysh's comment, not staredecisis'. I agree with stare's comment!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.