FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Centipede Press Version of Ender's Game

Author Topic: Centipede Press Version of Ender's Game
staredecisis
Member # 13054

- posted      Profile for staredecisis           Edit/Delete Post 
Who's picking up a Centipede Press copy of Ender's Game?

I grabbed one; the art looks amazing. Although that was hands down the most I've ever paid for a book, I've picked up all of the leatherbound limited editions of the Ender and Shadow books over the years, and at this point, I feel a need to keep my collection complete.

Does anybody know if it is the 1991 revised edition, or if this is perhaps the latest revision Mr. Card has been working on?

[ September 16, 2014, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: staredecisis ]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the "latest version" but it's the most recent text (I think 1991 is right.) The art is incredible -- well worth it. But our very favorite thing is what they did with the slim companion book. It is a printing of the original manuscript of the Ender's Game story -- complete with Scott's handwritten corrections in red. A real treat for us, and a cool artifact.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
staredecisis
Member # 13054

The art does look amazing! The image of the giant, Ender, and the cups looks stunning.

You can see the image here:
http://www.centipedepress.com/sf/endersgame.html

And now I'm really excited for the companion book...

Posts: 40 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that looks amazing. I won't be buying one, but I can't say it's not tempting.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty seriously tempted by that.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
If I didn't have so many kids, one of those would be mine. I just don't have that much disposable cash.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to convince my wife to let me purchase this. She knows very well it is one of my favorite books, and now that I have a little boy of my own, it would be a great book to share with him when he is old enough to appreciate it.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
staredecisis
Member # 13054

Centipede Press said in their most recent newsletter that it is 2/3 sold out. That's not bad for one week.

I'm REALLY hoping they do other books in the series, especially Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow. The illustrations from Speaker for the Dead would be amazing and could really bring that book to life.

millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! I have to say, I'm waiting for the revised edition of Ender's Game to make any new purchases of that book. But if they did something like this of Ender's Shadow...I would be terribly tempted. Ender's Game moves me - Ender's Shadow makes me cry.
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
staredecisis
Member # 13054

My copy of the Centipede Press version came today. Beautiful book. The manuscript is a really cool touch, and OSC's note to his mother at the start was very moving.
Martha Elliston
Member # 13191

- posted      Profile for Martha Elliston           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, thanks for sharing this book. I am really impressed about this Centipede Press. I found out that it is enclosed in a capped cloth slipcase and it is really a good edition with a full artwork:)
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chx1975
Member # 12587

- posted      Profile for chx1975   Email chx1975         Edit/Delete Post 
I have only accidentally stumbled on this -- OMG I would've been so pissed if I had missed the book... it waits for me in San Francisco which I am visiting next week so I can't comment yet how it looks [Smile] (Canadian shipping is outrageous)
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulrich
Member # 12863

- posted      Profile for mulrich   Email mulrich         Edit/Delete Post 
The book looks beautiful but I haven't purchased a physical fiction book in years. If they ever release a digital version of this edition I would consider purchasing.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saja
Member # 13217

- posted      Profile for saja   Email saja         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saja
Member # 13217

- posted      Profile for saja   Email saja         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post removed by JanitorBlade. Succulent spam.)

[ November 07, 2014, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chx1975
Member # 12587

- posted      Profile for chx1975   Email chx1975         Edit/Delete Post 
Odd the book is still up there, my copy is almost a month old and it is 290 of 300. Although I guess they don't sell like hotcakes at this price [Smile]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.