FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is Orson Scott Card really a PoS like people say he is?

Author Topic: Is Orson Scott Card really a PoS like people say he is?
zackxoxo
Member # 14316

- posted      Profile for zackxoxo   Email zackxoxo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Sorry if this is a bit random but I have a question- is Orson Scott Card really a bad person? I don't know WHY people hate him so much so I would greatly appreciate if someone explained to me why he's so widely hated and why he has such a bad rep. I don't want to support someone who is an awful person and is disliked for a good reason, thanks!
Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why ask here? You could just read up on his controversies and the things that created his reputation and general blacklisting, then decide if these acts reach a threshold you personally qualify as making him not worth supporting. They're not hard to find listed and his views should be painfully clear by now.

The debate over him here is essentially as dead as the forum -- outside of a few stubborn oddballs that this place liked to attract, general open support of him ultimately didn't survive an era where he regularly released articles loaded full of frequently breathtakingly bad takes that undercut arguments in support of his better nature and sometimes grossly embarrassed people who had been making appeals towards judging him much less severely and pejoratively, only to watch the credibility of their goodwill get erased in a steady supply of statements or political commentary by him which can most charitably be described as "coming off really, reaaaally bad." Or great, I guess, if you're a fan of modern fox news style conservative polemic and mockery. Most people here eventually (and sometimes sorrowfully) would reach a point of various personal acknowledgments about not being able to support him anymore after a certain threshold of his apparently falling into reliably hard right style rhetoric and invective. Reception of him will now just fall into normal American political tribal lines. Like trump and hate liberals and gay people being allowed to marry? You're probably going to like him and think he Tells It Like It Is! Don't like trump and support gay people's right to marry? You're probably gonna hate him!

So there's not much left to say I guess. Thanks for stopping by

Posts: 15419 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubl

[ May 19, 2020, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

Posts: 15419 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.