FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Orginal Potry (Page 6)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Orginal Potry
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

- posted      Profile for Briseis1000   Email Briseis1000         Edit/Delete Post 
human? did you pick your username merely because he was your favorite character or because you identify with him? just curious.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Both. Very much both.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Why do you ask?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

- posted      Profile for Briseis1000   Email Briseis1000         Edit/Delete Post 
because i am briseis. because from that simple question i learned more about you than i ever could if all i did was talk to only you for five years. because i want to know and understand everyone that i can. because i am me. and because this is the part of ender that i carry with me.

[This message has been edited by Briseis1000 (edited February 24, 2002).]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

That sounds very strange, even though it makes a kind of sense...
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

did i answer your question?
Human
Member # 2985

Yes...sort of.
Human
Member # 2985

Now, tell me something. What conclusions did you infer from my answer? I just want to see how accurate they are.
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

i knew you'd ask.
let's see if i did this well... (probably not)
you identify with human so that could mean a number of things all on its own but one of human's most prominent motives was acceptance soo...is that what you want? does it mean that you feel alienated? or am i going in an entirely wrong direction?

Human
Member # 2985

Keep going...

Briseis1000
Member # 3091

hmm...well, human's problem was that he wasn't accepted by another species but seeing as we haven't found any other widely recognized sentient species that can't be it. soo... that would mean you're the alien. except that your case is worse because you don't even feel accepted within your own group, your own species. you feel alone. utterly and entirely alone. did i get it right?
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

want me to delete all that so no one else can read it?
Human
Member # 2985

Congratulations. You are very astute. I don't know enough about the Illiad to do the same for you, I'm sorry to say. Let me ask you the next best thing: who in any of the Ender related books do you identify most with?
Human
Member # 2985

No need to delete. People can take whatever meanings they want from it. I don't really care.
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

hmm...this is harder than answering what i figured out...
ender. not briseis. ender.

Human
Member # 2985

Which Ender? Ender the child, fighting for some peace, a cause he doesn't understand? Or adult Ender, weighed down with his guilt, speaker of truth, a compassionate man?
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

the latter.
i just read the "teens" thread.
your anger was justified.
and now i know why you feel so isolated.

Human
Member # 2985

If you'll read the only Afghanistan thread I was foolish enough to participate in, you'll understand more fully...I have the terrible gift of being able to see from other people's points of view. Something that is rarely acceptable.
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

oh god...i'm sorry. i've never know someone with the same "problem" i do. more of a blessing turned barrier i'd say. is it the same way with you?
Human
Member # 2985

My analysis...tentative as it may be, is this:

You, like Ender try to speak the truth as you see it. But instead of welcoming you, people shun you because of it. Truth often hurts, as it forces you to look at many things that you don't want to. It is a rare person who invites that, much less tolerates it. So you, too have a sort of isolation because of who you are.

Human
Member # 2985

Yes...I think that way too. You should have seen my cousin's face a week after 9/11 when I told her that I understood Bin Laden's reasoning, even if I didn't agree. Up to that point, she had been comparing him to Satan. You can see where that placed me.
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

yes, but you didn't do that. why?
...is empathy tangible to you? i mean, do you feel it, as if someone is pulling gently but forcefully at you heart?

Human
Member # 2985

This is very surreal. Never before have I encountered someone who knew what I feel so accurately. No one. Before now.
Human
Member # 2985

And yes, it feels like that.
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

its almost frightening. but right when it scares me most i get pulled back in.
may i have your screen name? i think we're providing too much opportunity for gossip talking like this.

Human
Member # 2985

I don't have AIM...but will email work?
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

i think this is faster.
Human
Member # 2985

Not if you check your mail often.
Human
Member # 2985

Briseis, what if you set your email to check itself--oh, wait...your email tells you when you've got mail, doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by Human (edited February 24, 2002).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez you two. Get a room, er, I mean start a new thread or something.

I mean, I came here looking for discussion of my poetry (without, of course, having to read anyone else's). And what do I get??? Not one post about me, but a bunch of stuff about whether Human and Briseis are on the same wavelength...

Arrrrrrrgggggghhhh.

Thread killers!
Threadocides!

(just kidding. Please, continue.)

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited February 25, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perelandra
Member # 3632

- posted      Profile for Perelandra           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, your poetry has given me deep insight into your personality. I never knew there were other people out there who don't share my personality. It's amazing. I feel a wave of relief.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aelysium
Member # 2940

- posted      Profile for Aelysium   Email Aelysium         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Human, talk about wussy fan-boy bonding.

Just kidding. I, too, can see other people's point of view, but while this, in you, seems to have engendered an increase respect for them, mine has pretty much created an intense hatred of the whole thing. I'm wrong almost all the time, other people are wrong almost all the time, hell, we're all probably wrong almost all the time, so why the **** should I put up with other people's poitns of view if they aren't internally consistent? In a discussion, I thus do my utmost to demolish opposing points of view, unless I respect the person voicing them are are fond of them.'Tis all.

Tally-ho, pip-pip and all that rot~
Aelysium

Posts: 397 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never knew there were other people out there who don't share my personality

Pere, that's one of the funniest things I've read on Hatrack in months!!!

Good one!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Sorry for hijacking the thread, guys! The conversation has since moved to email, and your threads are safe!
Punchdrunk
Member # 2654

- posted      Profile for Punchdrunk   Email Punchdrunk         Edit/Delete Post 
What’s funny to me is that this thread seems to reach back into the Tolkeinesque Depths of Time when the First People to Walk the Earth were posting here. But that was only 1999. Two and a half years ago. Not much has changed since summer ‘99. OK, I got married in the intervening time, and now we have a little girl, but other than that…. So why does it seem like such a long time ago here? What a weird phenomenon.
Posts: 519 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
Insanity?

Yes, they've told me.
They all have told me,
that i'm a little weird.

When i do,
what i do
I ask what they fear?

I'm not right?
I feel alright.
This has gone on so long.

Time has told me,
answers for me.
Too insecure for a song.

Yes, they've told me.
They all have told me,
that i'm a little weird.

When i do,
what i do
I ask what they fear?

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always believed that poetry's primary function is to enable two people who are looking for soulmates to fool each other into thinking that they've found one.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

I have a feeling that's directed at me.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I thought the sentiment was rather inhuman myself.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
May I have one in German?

I wrote it this summer, when I was doing a German course. An impression on the dormitory.

Klaustrophobie

ich schliesse die zimmertuer hinter mir
die welt lass ich draussen
alleine in der leeren kabine des weltraumschiffs
geometrische figuren ohne phantasie
stammen aus dem dreissigsten jahrhundert
voellig unangebracht fuer ein junges maedchen
in ihrer sturm- und drangzeit
mit ersten lieben ersten trennungen

weisser kalter steriler raum
-der krankensaal wird die romantik heilen

I'm going to work on the translation now, but if anyone so wishes they may translate this for all the hatrackers who don't speak German.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Briseis1000
Member # 3091

ha...ha...ha. oh well.
kama: even though i don't understand a word of german i'm sure it was a great poem.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks. I actually don't think it is, but oh well... I like to show off.
Um, can anyone tell me what 'Sturm und Drang Zeit' is called in English?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like poetry very much, so I wrote a poem explaining myself:

Poetry, it seems to me
Is abuse of the “Enter” key
The subject artificially
Ripped from its closing verb

Why cannot the poet see
The ideas of her poetry
Are conveyed more effectively
In plain, prosaic words?

All the poems of history
Are nothing more, essentially
Than op-ed columns cleverly
Disguised as pretty verse

Let us tell it as we see
Eschew nebulosity
Without its crutch, can poetry
Speak to our best and worst?

Feelings expressed honestly
Without tearjerking homily
Or punctuative trickery
To clothe the writer’s soul

I suppose it’s not to be
If poets deigned to write plainly
Then all the world could clearly see
The breaking of the poet’s spell

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Policy,

You seek to touch what you must taste,
want to grasp and pinch for ripeness.
You measure out in teaspoons
the pinches, the handfuls,
the seasons.

You pull a net across the sky,
and wonder why the wind keeps blowing.

It rhymes when it's time;
it finds order in chaos
and breaks
where it must
because prose ain't all
it's cracked
up to
be.

You dig?
Deeper.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited February 26, 2002).]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I call this piece "Comments? Criticism?"

Comments? Criticism?

I can but wonder what is amiss
AH! There it is!
An Ass To Kiss

Comments? Criticism?

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Oh, are we getting all metapoetic now?

-----

soundbyte

poetry is a lot like advertising
if they remember it well
well they remember it

sex moves so
watch every head turn to watch
and somewhere behind the calvin klein
cummings is saying the exact same thing

I realized, too, that the link to most of my poems in the earlier parts of this thread is now long dead. Here's the update: http://www.plastic-castle.com/tom/poetry.shtml

Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead links:

Departed from us,
known in no history book.
Like servents to the greats,
only to be overlooked.

Markers in time,
signs of a lost city.
Events march on,
waiting to be used when ready.

Where did it lead?
What were we to follow?
Something grand and great?
Or evil and hollow?

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

404 Not Found:
Look on my works, ye mighty,
and refresh.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

A song lyric perhaps?

If I had a dollar for each time I thought of you.

If I had a dollar for each moment I wished we were two.

Oh if I had a nickle for each time I wish'd I had you on my motor-sickle.

Well, baby, I'd have Two dollars and thirty-five cents.

Punchdrunk
Member # 2654

- posted      Profile for Punchdrunk   Email Punchdrunk         Edit/Delete Post 
advice for bank robbers

if you shout/they’ll understand.

your gun.
it speaks
focus (attraction)

fascination. (rubber soles
good for marble floors.)

don’t. pull.

remember (in/grab the cash/out).
moving parts cleaned oiled (in/out)
in. out.
lovingly in dark, no
precision/timing/concerns.

damp. (they’ll find you there)
no.
don’t think.
they’ll accept/ what it says.
not friends/but respect.

don’t (speak).

cut the thread (speak).

now.

Posts: 519 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.