FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 27)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The gematria of Icarus (using the transliteration of my choosing [Big Grin] ) is 377.

Better?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
overweening adj.

Overly convinced of one's own superiority and importance; arrogant, haughty, high-and-mighty, insolent, lofty, lordly, overbearing, prideful, proud, supercilious, superior.

Used only three times in this forum, ever...by Ralphie:

Once Again I Am Cooler Than You
Squicky's Tired of Debugging
Why do you guys hate this person...

That word has cool connotations, like having a huge frankfurter hanging over your head.

If you use a word three times, it becomes a permanent part of your personal lexicon. Way to go Ralphie!

[ April 29, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Thris thread is so overweening. Twenty-seven pages?? Come on.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for September 10 is:

whinge • \WINJ\ • verb
British : to complain fretfully : whine

Example sentence:
She urged her fellow workers to stop whinging about how they were victims of "the system" and to do something to change that system.

Did you know?
"Whinge" isn't just a spelling variant of "whine." They are actually entirely different words with different histories. "Whine" traces to an Old English verb, "hwīnan," which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When "hwīnan" became "whinen" in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; "whine" didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. "Whinge," on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, "hwinsian," which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." "Whinge" retains that original sense today, though nowadays "whinge" puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
abrogate • \AB-ruh-gayt\ • verb
*1 : to abolish by authoritative action : annul
2 : to treat as nonexistent

Example sentence:
An old law that abrogated the right of liquor store owners to sell alcohol on Sundays was recently struck from the books.

Did you know?
If you can't simply wish something out of existence, the next best thing might be to "propose it away." That's sort of what "abrogate" lets you do, at least etymologically speaking. It comes from the Latin root "rogare," which means "to propose a law," and "ab-," meaning "from" or "away." But we won't propose that you try to get away from the fact that "rogare" is also an ancestor in the family tree of "prerogative" and "interrogate." "Abrogate" first appeared in English as a verb in the 16th century, but was preceded by an adjective sense meaning "annulled" or "cancelled" which is now obsolete.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this cool word, figured I'd share:

bil·lings·gate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (blngz-gt, -gt)
n.
Foul, abusive language.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[After Billingsgate, a former fish market in London, England.]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't had a word in ages!

Foment (foe-MENT) verb. 1. To arouse, stir up, instigate. 2. To treat with heat and moisture.
[<Latin fomentum, warm application.]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on good authority that many of the creatures that attacked Saruman's castle were just guys in rubber suits -- they were foments.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. I had no idea this thread still existed.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
I needed to use this word last week and I thought I might go looking for this thread. Sure enough [Smile] .

eleemosynary \el-uh-MOS-uh-ner-ee\, adj.
1. Of or for charity; charitable; as, "an eleemosynary institution."

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.