FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Independent Films

Author Topic: Independent Films
Dim Sum
Member # 2682

- posted      Profile for Dim Sum   Email Dim Sum         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your favorite Independent Films?

Mine (no particular order):

Donnie Darko
Coming Down
Dino Bridges
Crustopolis
Snow Bouncing (And 138 other situations)

-Dim Sum-

Posts: 387 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Blood simple - Coen brother's first film
Bound - Wachowski brother's first film
Pi - Darren Aronofsky's first film
Night of the Living Dead - The Romero classic
Evil Dead - early work from Sam Raimi

Some of my favorites.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
It has risen [Hail]

Independence DAy
Born on the forth of july

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Nora
Metroland
Laurel Canyon
Lone Star
The Secret of Roan Inish
The Limey
Fargo
Pulp Fiction

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Coen brothers work
Memento
Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs
Bottle Rocket
Lone Star
Repo Man
Mystery train
Wild at Heart and Blue Velvet
Evil Dead I and II

[ September 17, 2003, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Koyaanisqatsi. Best film made. Ever.

[Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps at metion of The Secret of Roan Inish*
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Koyaanisqatsi . Best film made. Ever.
Are. You. Serious. Koyaanisqatsi did nothing for me but make me remember how to say 'Koyaanisqatsi'. Koyaaaaaaaan-isquatsiiiiiiiiiii...I prefer movies with characters, plot, and a point myself.

I liked Rodger and Me, but that's a documentary.

[ September 16, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well, I can't argue how you felt when you watched it, but it has had a profound effect on me.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that Koyaanisqatsi is the best film ever. But it was very good. And the score was one of the best pieces of music ever, so that's a plus. I love Philip Glass.

I agree with the Quentin Tarantino films. I loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, although I try not to admit it in mixed company.

I think my favorite independent film... at least I think it's independent (I don't know what the studio situation is in Japan, but I know it was made on a shoestring budget, and no studios I've ever heard of were in the titles, so I'll assume that it is) is After Life . Don't read too much about it, either on the linked website or even (if you can help it) from the back of the DVD. It makes it sound trivial, and spoils a tiny bit of the mystery. But watch it. If you can find it at your local rental place, rent it. If not, order it from Amazon. If you live in Salt Lake, I'll even loan it to you. But you must see it. It's one of the most sublimely fascinating and beautiful pieces of cinema I've ever seen. The type of movie that could never be made by anyone associated with Hollywood.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey the IFC is showing that in a few weeks. It looked pretty good.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

What's the IFC?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think that Koyaanisqatsi is the best film ever. But it was very good. And the score was one of the best pieces of music ever, so that's a plus. I love Philip Glass.
Hey, me too, Speed. It was stunning.

Also liked, in no particular order (and not 100% that they are all independent):
Reservoir Dogs;
Little Man Tate;
Scotland, PA;
The Theory of Flight.

Gosh, I know there are a lot more Indy films that I've enjoyed, but I'm having a major senior moment here.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

Speed, here's a link to IFC (Independent Film Channel). [Wink]
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Hey, I just checked out your IFC link. I didn't realize that Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai was an indie. I guess it stands to reason. That was a swell movie. I love all the extra-dry humor. I found it to be hilarious.

I did not, however, find After Life on their schedule. It would be cool if they showed it.

[ September 16, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Koyaaaaaaaan-isquatsiiiiiiiiiii. While I don't think it's the best film ever, I've seen it a few times and enjoyed it. The music and images mesh in a unique way, and I think it was an influential film. It seems to be a very polarizing film: people either love it or hate it.

[ September 16, 2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

quote:
I did not, however, find After Life on their schedule. It would be cool if they showed it.
I think if you wait long enough, they will eventually show it. [Wink]

I also agree with the obversation about the Coen Bro's movies, I like most of them. Anybody see "Barton Fink"? It was very surrreal, but Coen kewl.

Hobbes
Member # 433

<--*Devoted Philip Glass fan*

Hobbes [Smile]

unohoo
Member # 5490

Did you guys know that Phillip Glass hacked in NYC to keep body and soul acquainted? Anyway, I bought Einstein on the Beach for my mate, he is such a huge P. Glass fan. I also took him to a Phillip Glass concert quite a while ago when he performed locally for where I live. The concert was incredible. If any of you have a chance to see him live, go!
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm going to see Koyaanisqatsi the end of this month -- with Philip Glass conducting a live performance of the soundtrack!

[The Wave]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I know they were doing that in Boulder Colorado, where are you seeing it?

<--*Is green with envy, especially since he lives in Boulder Colorado, a state Glass hasn't preformed in for 15 years, and Glass preforming in his home town only months after he leaves it* [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Godric
Member # 4587

I'll be seeing it in Harrisburg, PA. Apparently it's the only such performance on the East Coast. I've actually never seen the movie before but I've heard great things about it and Glass' soundtrack from people whose opinions I respect so I'm looking forward to it!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Donnie Darko was incredible. It's one of these movies I keep watching to see if there's something I missed, that maybe there's an idea in the movie I didn't remember hearing, or a connection to something I didn't see before.

And of course, there's After Life, which was a beautiful movie. It's too bad that the movie didn't spend more time with each character...everyone was so interesting.

Then there's Pi, Memento and Pulp Fiction, which are some of my favourites as well.

Praise [Hail] Donnie

[ September 17, 2003, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Celtic Flame ]

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Whale Rider. I figured at least twink would be in here screaming about it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
Without rehashing ones already said...cough...Memento...Donnie Darko...Reservoir Dogs...cough. [Wink]

Boondock Saints.

Was Waking Life and indy?
what about Requiem for a Dream?
was american history X?
Clerks? how many of his others are still considered indies?
Swingers?

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to watch After Life for the longest time.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Other good indie films -- almost anything by Hal Hartley! Most especially, Henry Fool.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, saxy. I was wondering the same thing.

Whale Rider has my mention, also as being really good.

Rueban and Ed has to be mentioned, simply because the line "My cat can eat a whole watermelon" just stuck with me. Not the best independent film, but pretty funny.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Dude, Reuben and Ed rules. It was a cult classic when I was in high school.

Speaking of cult classics, I think Harold and Maude was an indie. I love love love that movie.

Oh, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and The Life of Brian. Can't forget those.

Thanks for reminding me of Memento. That was a killer flick.

For the sake of my wife, who I wish would just come on here and say it herself, I have to mention My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

ae, where do you live? If you're anywhere around Northern Utah, I can loan you After Life. If not, find it and watch it. Sehr gut.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend saw Philip Glass perform Koyanisqatsi in Boston last winter, said it ruled.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw May.

It left me deeply disturbed. I loved it.

"I like weird. I like it a lot."

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Slash:

quote:
I just saw May.

It left me deeply disturbed. I loved it.

Except, did you notice that her lazy eye switched back and forth? I hate, hate, hate stupid little continuity errors like that. How can that possibly go unnoticed while filming?
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I'm not sure what you are talking about, actually.

She only has a lazy eye when she isn't wearing her contacts or glasses, and there are only two scenes I can think of like that. In one of them, she is looking into a mirror.

Every other scene she has her glasses or contacts on, and hence, would not have a visibly lazy eye.

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed: I'm in Singapore.

Ah well. C'est la vie.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Was Cube an indie movie, I liked that one. I doubt "army of darkness" was, but that movie was great.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Slash, when she was a girl she had the eye patch over one eye and as an adult it was the other eye that was lazy.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Godric, I do believe they put the patch over the good eye in an attempt to strengthen the bad one. At least, that's what was done to a girl I knew back in elementary school.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Tick, you're right. They do put the patch over the good eye.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Heh! Well, color me ignorant! I didn't know that! OK, well, nevermind then. I stand corrected. [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

I found a Chicago showing of Koyaanisqatsi (preformed live). It's being done in the Chicago Theater, the desrciption is here. You can buy tickes from here. I desperatly want to go, but I don't think I could get to Chicago. [Frown] [Cry] [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ September 18, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Look ralphie

A resurrected thread thrives

[Hail] bow down to robey and repent your slander

[Hat]

oh wait i am talking to ralphie [Wall Bash]

[Hat]

[ September 18, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys
What about My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I thought that was really funny and right on the head unfourtunatly. I am familiar with their culture and what was portraid in the film it is true. I would hate to live in a society like that but the auther made sure that it was portraid in a funny way and I loved that otherwise it would have been a very depressing movie.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh one more movie that I just saw yesterday and that I was very impressed by is Whale Rider. It was really cool. Let me know what you guys think.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want to watch Pulp Fiction. Damn.

Someone mentioned that Roger and Me is a documentary, and that got me thinking about documentaries I really liked.

I havn't seen Roger and Me since I was yea-high *points to hip*, but what little I remember makes me want to see it again.

I really enjoyed Bowling for Columbine, although I didn't really get what Michael Moore was trying to say until the second time through.

I also enjoyed Ken Burns' The Civil War. I can't think of a way to describe it except that it's just good. I have it on DVD around here somewhere. I should watch it again.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

I just remembered another one that I really enjoyed, though I'm not sure it is an independent film. It's called "The Cup" and it is about how a group of Buddist Monks scheme to watch the world cup final.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.