FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Slang Phrases (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Slang Phrases
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff:
quote:
I think "giving brain" sounds like an act only possible to dead bodies, and that's nowhere I'd like to go ...

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02282002.html

amira: Eh, I only ever use "bollocks" in place of "bullshit" (e.g. "That's just a laod of bollocks!"). Sometimes also in the form "bollocksed up".

I'm not a good enough wannabe Englishman. Oh, bollocks.

ae

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we English use it in place of "bullshit" too - "that's a load of bollocks" is a fantastic phrase... but it doesn't MEAN bullshit, it means balls.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No one has guessed the origin of the word "spoot." You have no idea how much this saddens me.

It's from the Nickelodeon cartoon The Angry Beavers, one of the only cartoons worth watching in the past five years.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree with Icarus about people who flip you off in traffic being upset if you stick your tongue out at them, but I find that if you smile sweetly and wave at them it really gets to them. They don't quite know what to think.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
My great-grandmother used to say "the Devil" all the time. Her descendants thought it was cute, but in the slang of her day, it was downright vulgar
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommates and I say "crack" all the time. As in "I am sooo on crack!" and "What kind of crack are you on?", but also "What the crack?", "Crack what?!", "That's crack!" and "You are such crack!" Not to mention "You are so crack-like!"
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Other favourites of mine are "off the planet" meaning crazy, and "off your tits" meaning drunk. One of my very camp, overtly homosexual male friends once walked up to me and announced that he was "off his tits," which made me laugh. He refers to himself as "camp as tits" too. Men!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
"Frelling" is from Farscape. So are "Yotz" and "tralk."

I like "squick" and "squicky" which I picked up online. I also say "cool beans". I got it from an AIM buddy in Orlando.

My sister has been under pressure to curtail her cursing. Like me, she only tends to curse in times of sudden physical distress, but she curses much more like my dad. He was an Army seargent. A window fell on her hand as she was closing it, the other day. She managed to stop herself from actually cursing. It went something like this:

"Son of a... Mother... Duck."

Now her daughters tease her about the naughty duckling that lives in their house and always gets yelled at.

She used to do this thing in an east Indian sort of accent, "Holy hell-damn, Batman!"

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Two very cool SF slang terms:

"Tanj". Coined by either Larry Niven or Jerry Pournelle. Back in the days when it was even harder to use profanity in published prose, these guys started using this for such expletives as F*** and D**n. Its an acronym: There Aint No Justice. Also used with suffexes, such as "tanjit"!

Also, from Red Dwarf "Smeg Off"!

(Nifty, cool thread. Boy I wish I was around here earlier!)

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Kidd said:
quote:
"Shards and shells."

"By the first egg."

Well, bless my klah! Thread it!

IRL, I have been known to say, "Oh, CHICKEN SOUP" with extreme venom. I think I picked that up from someone in HS.

I also like "For the love of little green apples" -- no idea why. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
My personal most commonly used expletive is "Bugger!" My best friend's wife has taken to saying "Blast!"
quote:
"Sick!"

I actually spent time around a bunch of X-treme sports guys on my mission who used this word constantly to mean something of a blend of "Cool" and "Daring" or "Dangerous".

Northern Californian teens and young adults (it has recently begun to migrate into Southern California) use the word "sick" as a general substitute for just about any positive adjective.

I've always been a big fan of adjectives like "Dope" and "Fly." My little brother went through a phase of using "dank" as a substitute for "awesome."

My friends and I can often be heard expanding the practice of putting "-age" on the ends of words by using "-aggio." Also often heard is "Get my [any action] on." As in, "Time to get my learnaggio on."

One that I'm quite happy to have gotten away from is the Northern California usage of "hella." That word just sucks.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
We say "pooey". It's actually kind of disgusting. I also use "Razzlefrazzin'" from Yosemite Sam.

quote:
No one has guessed the origin of the word "spoot." You have no idea how much this saddens me.
If I'd been here, Jon Boy, I would've known that one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Frell a LOT.(it is two Ls, myr.) I love the phrase 'coulda shoulda woulda'.
I use shiny like I used to use great, for something I really am excited aobut, or as mock enthusiasm.

Farscape and firefly have taken over my vocabulary.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Ayelar reminding me of "Holy Flarking Schnit!" from The Simpsons it has become my primary exclamation.

"Sweet Jebus" remains a favorite.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Way back in December, Noemon said,"10 points to anyone who recognizes the source of "Odds my Bodkins""

I don't think anyone ever answered that challenge.

IIRC, it was spoken by Daffy Duck in the Warner Bros. cartoon based on Robin Hood, where Porky is Friar Tuck, Sylvester is the Sherriff, Fudd is Prince John, and (I believe) Daffy is Robin himself.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for popatr   Email popatr         Edit/Delete Post 
My family comes up with some slang which is nowhere else found.

My aunt uses the term "Roger victim" as slang for idiot. (after the late Mr. Rogers) I've never been sure what to think of it.

My dad replaces d*** with tax. It works pretty well. It's variant forms fit in all of the same places. Such as "I'll be taxed", "tax-ed-nation" (which moves easily into "tax the nations"), etc.

I'm pretty sure my sis came up with this one: she used to say "hurgendy-flurgen" in place of "nonsense".

The word "nelsy" means something like "on edge", though with a silly connotation. It's the type of thing that happens when you are trying to do something delicate (usually with your hands) and you have to hold back the desire to wiggle yourself out.

My dad also has a method of word modification that is limited mostly by imagination. You take a syllable of a word that sounds like another word, and repace it usually with it's opposite, or sometimes with a synonym. For example "Bread": my dad has a brother named Ed, so he sometimes replaces that with one of his other siblings to make "BrOwen", "BrEva", etc. American might become American't. Interpret might become outterpret.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IIRC, it was spoken by Daffy Duck in the Warner Bros. cartoon based on Robin Hood, where Porky is Friar Tuck, Sylvester is the Sherriff, Fudd is Prince John, and (I believe) Daffy is Robin himself.
And truly one of the greatest things ever to be witnessed by mine young eyes.

One of the greatest moments in Daffy Duck history.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle is a very odd man. He teaches a Sunday School class and his daughter and I literally have translate for him when he's speaking although he speaks English...technically. This man butchers the English language like no one I've ever met. If you listen closely, you can make out a sort of pattern in the words he is speaking that sounds suspiciously like syntax. First off, correct prefixes mean nothing to him. Instead of "relax" he says "unlax" which is almost the exact opposite thing, if you think about it. He'll jokingly insult you with any combo of words that are so bizarre that you have no idea what he's saying, yet still, you feel distinctly Zinged. He creates pauses in the middle of sentences almost as if he's thinking.

Me: Hey Bean, where do you keep your paper plates?

Him: Well, (pauses) you know...this refrig-i-later...ain't been...hmmm...well hog-swagit.

Me: I'll ask your wife.

This man was in a band once, where he played the bass and did vocals. He spent an entire summer going from bar to bar, where strains of "Leaving on a Jet Train" could be heard, the original being, of course, by Bob Liver.

edit: I forgot to mention: We call him Bean because that's what he once told reporters that his middle name was. His middle name is Dean.

[ August 20, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I once met a guy who answered the phone "c'nup". I have NO idea what that means, and as the guy was a big strong retired trucker I was afraid to ask.

And as for the Enlish language, "loosen" and "unloosen" mean the same thing.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend and I have a slew of crazy slang words.

We say "prolly" instead of "probably"

"Egg" instead of "excellent"

"Foo" instead of "Fool" although that is more commonly used, is it not?

"Foul Specter" was one of our favorites, as a derogatory term

"BOTW" pronounced "Bot-wuh," short for "Bum of the World" to be used when friend is being inordinately lazy

"Goober," very popular...it's so malleable, too...can be endearing or derogatory

sometimes i say "Son of a Motherless Goat"...Three Amigos, classic

or "Mother of Pearl!" instead of...well, just guess...

[Big Grin] that's all i can think of at the moment

oh, Toni, that Daffy Duck clip was priceless. I remember that. Good times. [ROFL]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if this is a local thing or not, but between my skateboard friends, we use the word "red" alot.

I think its in place "f*cked up". Like, "man, that is so red." Or, "I cant believe how red he was"

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is local, but I use the word freak in place of all swear words. I said the word in my car while babysitting the other day and got a very indignant, "I'm not a freak!" yelled at me from the back seat.

I thought it as really dorky, but most of the people who go to my church use it too, so I don't feel nearly as bad about it now.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother doesn't stop at the "Hells Bells" She says: "Hells bells and buckets of blood!"

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to say Schmit in place of... well, you know..

For the longest time I said Lord Almighty, as in "Lord Almighty, what the heck was that!?"

For some reason, my delicate self has taken to saying "Oh dear" and "Oh my"...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'm glad I bumped this.

I, too hella hate hella. Fer Days.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.