FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recruiting Squad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Recruiting Squad
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
We need to spread the knowledge of OSC. Can you believe people nevre heard of him?!

We should accidently slip in a copy of the book in people's bags, use subliminal messages, do anything you can!

SPREAD THE WORD!

Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
And hey, maybe we can tape peoples eyelids open and MAKE them read it!

[This message has been edited by Human (edited February 24, 2003).]

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
um...that'll be hard with THEIR EYELIDS TAPED TOGETHER!!!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! What were you thinking?!
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
*glares* Stupid typo.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried making someone who doesn't like SF read Ender's Game. It was a disaster.

You can't make people like the books you like.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shared it with non-SF fans who loved it and with people who hated it. It seems to depend on if they "don't like SF" because they're really not familiar with it, or if they have a strong prejuduce against it.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a movement in hatrack some time ago to do just this? I think a couple people left copies of EG and the Alvin series in public places, with the instructions to read it and leave it for someone else.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do just that through the Book Crossing method.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

- posted      Profile for Hydralisk5284           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, you guys. If you're going to spread OSC's books like that, it kinda sounds like you're disciples of him, spreading his word. You should at least try to spread the Bible as much as OSC's books. I'm sure he'd want you to do that, read his thoughts and beliefs section. My opinion is that you can make a suggestion here or there, but don't get overzealous of OSC. 1st Commandment, people. And Juniper, can you believe that some people have never heard of God?

Just my opinion, sorry if I offended anyone.

[This message has been edited by Hydralisk5284 (edited February 24, 2003).]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so release a copy of the KJV when you release Seventh Son.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the bible has enough people spreading it (the physical manifestation) right now. That, and it has many freely available online versions. And people will often send one free (I believe the LDS church does this). Enders Game does not have such adherents spreading it in the same way. Nor should it (not for the same reasons at least). But the bible does not have a shortage people to help spread physical copies. Enders Game does.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Bible spread on a bit of toast. . . with eggs and a side of self-righteousness.

Throw in some snide superiority and a batch of grits. . . yum!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
*convulsive giggle*
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

*sigh* I just can't win
Someone always makes an excuse not to do something cause they're too lazy. I guess I'm not old enough to be posting here anyway. Oh well, at least I'm learning things.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I'm surprised that 5283 people came up with the name "Hydralisk" before you did.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

Yeah, I tried each and every one of them. A lot of people must like Starcraft.

It's just I like the combo, simply because I had to memorize it for my IM name. Numbers always seem to spruce up words.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"I have a friend, Hen3ry. That's H-E-N-3-R-Y. The three is silent."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

hydralisk, no one's making excuses because they're too lazy to spread the gospel; they simply want to share something beautiful (for example, the Ender series which I notice is in your list of interests as well) with others. This is why the religious terminology is so apt. However, many of Mr. Card's readers are in no way religious and so do not feel the need to spread the word about God, who has fairly widespread publicity anyway.

The missionary terminology used about 'evangelizing' people to read OSC is just a metaphor, not an indication of literal discipleship. (afaik...) For myself, when I direct people to good books, I refer to it as 'proselytizing' or, alternatively, 'dealing.'

Don't give up posting because you're young or people argue with you. The induction process is rigorous but you typically come out a better person for it.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I am certainly not lazy. My argument stems from the fact that, while the value of the bible is great (even to nonbelievers like me), the marginal value of another person spreading physical copies of it is significantly less than the marginal value of a person spreading copies of enders game. This is not an argument from laziness, but from utility. I would even argue that, in effect, everyone already has a bible, or can at least receive a free one at minimal effort. Therefore its pretty useless to become an additional person spreading copies around. The situation with enders game is obviously different.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also not lazy...but I'm not Mormon. And even though I'm Christian...oh, I think we've all heard what I think about proselytizing.

I don't know...I've gotten a few friends to read Ender's Game, and they've loved it. But....I did have one tell me that she thought the language was too juvenile. The book just didn't use big enough words for her. Oh, well.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

fugu: also agreed.

ph: *laugh* but it used 'peripatetic'! Is that not a big enough word? Though actually that may have been Speaker for the Dead - I just remember the second time I read whichever book it was, these long years ago, I saw the word and thought, "I've never seen that word before. But I've read this book, this very copy, before... Has it been here the whole time?? *panic*"

What do you mean, I panic at stupid things?

[This message has been edited by Lissande (edited February 24, 2003).]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually remember reading that word, too, and I then started using it (along with Aristotelian, which I learned when I looked up peripatetic). I'll check, but I recall it as more of a Speaker word -- nobody in Ender's Game really was peripatetic.

Checked -- it's Speaker, near the beginning of chapter 5.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Pop: thanks

ph: Tell your friend to read William Styron to get it out of her system (specifically Sophie's Choice; not sure if all his work is like that). Have her make an honest list of all the words she doesn't know. I think it would be cool for a bunch of people to do that and compare lists. Like a contest!

OK, but seriously, all of you need to read Sophie's Choice. I've never read another writer ever who used the language as beautifully - and thoroughly - as Styron.

edit: Don't think it's escaped me that I'm using an OSC-spreading thread to spread another author. I scoff at your silly on-topic comments!

[This message has been edited by Lissande (edited February 24, 2003).]

Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

I know that most people have a Bible! I didn't say that you should hand out a copy for every OSC book you hand out. I simply said that you should spread the Bible as an idea. But I guess you have a point about people being interested in OSC's books more. Well, I guess it's ok to spread his books. [Opinion converted, quite easily I might add. You and your convincing words]
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to thank DeathofBees for the link. I checked out Bookcrossing.com and can't wait to "release" my first book "into the wild".

Edit to add that I'll probably release Wild Seed by Octavia Butler. I've read it three times already and loved it each time.

[This message has been edited by KarlEd (edited February 24, 2003).]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

KarlEd - Wild Seed is cool.

Hydralisk, you could use Book Crossing to release some work by C.S. Lewis or some of the new Christian writers. There's a very interesting allegory called Arena I've finished recently that is excellent.

For the love of God, please don't send out any of the Left Behind tripe!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle- I just signed up and was trying to decide what to release, I decided on either[u]Speaker for the Dead[/u] or [u]Out of the Silent Planet[/u] as the two books that had affeccted me the most. Then I decided on [u]Out of the Silent Planet[/u], just to be original. I just can't win.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

Why not the Left Behind Series? You don't agree with it? I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm just wonderin' your opinion, cause I started reading them and I got to the third book. I got bored so I stopped.
Lissande
Member # 350

Because it's poor writing and poor theology?
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got bored so I stopped.
Sorta answered your own question there, no?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Basically, because the writing is horrific. And if people judge all Christian fiction by that tripe, then the genre will have even a worse reputation that it currently does.

The worst things to happen to Christian-based fiction is Left Behind and those ridiculous romances where "atheist boy meets Christian girl, she rejects him, then prays for him, he converts, they live happily ever after"

Gosh Lewis and Tolkien are missed.

Lissande
Member # 350

But I secretly kinda like the ones with rakishly handsome pirates where the heroine gets to say "Unhand me you ruffian!" (or any variation thereof)

Just don't tell anyone...

Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

I wasn't asking myself my opinion, I was asking everyone else.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
For Lissa:

Dirk knew he should resist Lissande. She was not right for him - she was the daughter of the only man he had sworn to kill, the spawn of his enemy. But after saving her from a fate worse than death, drowning in the Atlantic like so much kelp, and being forced to live with each other the on same ship - Dirk's ship, his first love - he could not stop thinking about her long brown hair and melting eyes. If only he could stop. If only she would not appear before him every time he close his eyelids at night. If only the very thought of her soft skin and full breasts did not cause him to break out in a cold sweat. If only...

But some cruel twist of Fate had brought her here. He could not deny it. Standing on the bow of the ship, his rough hands caressing the ship's wheel while his bulging muscles almost unconsciously tamed the wildness of the ocean, his eyes followed her as she walked across the wooden boards, seeming like an ethereal creature. He had to know, once and for all. He had to know.

"Smitty!" Dirk snarled, and handed the wheel over to his first mate. Smitty didn't need to ask what Dirk was up to. He already knew.

Following Lissande into the cabin, Dirk waited for the right opportunity to have her alone. Lissande crossed the dining area and then went into the hall. As soon as she almost to her room a hand caught her upper arm and swung her around. Then two, well-toned arms pinned her against the wall. Feeling like a trapped bird, she gathered her courage and looked straight into the eyes of her captor. Straight into the eyes of her father's nemesis. Straight into the eyes of Dirk...

"Lissande," Dirk whispered into her ear, his mouth mere inches from her own. "Where were you going?"

"That is none of your concern!" she said, all of her passion manifesting itself into anger.

"I think I know," he responded with a devilish grin. He then grabbed her shoulders and, after handling her roughly while opening her cabin door, forced her in with him.

"Unhand me, you ruffian!" she nearly shreiked. "Unhand me! I..." but Lissande could not finish for sobbing.

Dirk then gently gathered to him. He then knew how hard it was for her. Living on the ship of her father's enemy, never knowing what was to become of her, feeling the same tension he had been experiencing...

"Lissa, Lissa," Dirk whispered, again and again. "I just need to know. I need to know what you would do if I did this..."

And then Lissa looked up into his eyes. His eyes like fire, smoldering and piercing her. Paralyzing her were she stood.

Dirk looked down and saw the sweet swell of her breasts pushed up again his chest. He knew he could never let her go, even if he tried. His lips descended and all at once found hers...

[This message has been edited by Ralphie (edited February 24, 2003).]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Encore! Encore!

The "steering wheel" as you call it is typically in the after section of a boat. Kelp cannot drown, I think, unless it's in underoxygenated water. How is drowning a fate worse than death?

And the big question on everyone's minds...

Can I play the role of Dirk?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

It's the unresearched nature of the story that keeps it so pure of heart.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Several people in my English class are working on "converting" my teacher. We all wrote about how much we like Ender's Game, and we've convinced her to read it. She has my copy right now, but I think she has yet to read it.

The reason the Left Behind series isn't that great is because it sacrifices the story in favor of the message. Oh, and as far as I can tell, it suffers from a severe case of red-shirt syndrome. The main characters don't die, but everyone else does. It's rather contrived.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Lissande
Member # 350

*smooths ruffled hair, straightens bodice*

Ahem. Having had time to compose myself, ! I think you did a good job capturing the heroine's keen intelligence and sparkling wit , but I'm not sure her vibrant sensuality quite came through as strongly as it might have. *laugh*

And Rakeesh: I'll be holding unofficial auditions later tonight behind the bleachers in the gym. Finding the right leading man is so important!

Belle
Member # 2314

We should have a romance scene writing contest, Hatrack style.

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Ralphie that's so cool!

Talk about derailing threads.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
^Saudade^
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for ^Saudade^   Email ^Saudade^         Edit/Delete Post 
<---released a couple of books through the school.

One so far has gotten to an airport in Germany, other is somewhere in Virginia.

I will be releasing some more books very soon. I haven't caught any yet. I am trying though.

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! Looks like Ralphie's been reading my old posts again.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He had to know, once and for all. He had to know.

"Smitty!"

I'm sorry, but when I read "Smitty!" I spit my peach tea all over the keyboard. It was all so dramatic...and then came Smitty.

Belle: We should TOTALLY have a contest like that -- we don't have nearly enough contests here! Especially *writing* contests!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

For Belle:

She looked over the rolling hills of her beloved Scotland, knowing it was the last time she'd see her homeland. How does a woman endure something like this, Belle asked herself. How does a woman leave something like the love of her land to marry the cold and unyielding form of the English?

She thought of the man she was to marry. As cold as his culture, as refined as his station. Tall and devilish and hard. But she thought she had seen a bit of softness...

Belle allowed her mind to float back to the night of the masquerade ball. The night she let herself slip out of her small station and into the life of nobility. That was the night that everything came crashing down. But it was also the night she met her raven...

Tall, like her new husband, with jet-black hair and a similar devilish grin. Belle remembered how he had led her out of the ballroom into an antechamber. With the music still flowing the background he had take her to him. He had pinned her to the wall, letting his mouth search her's out. Letting his tongue plummet to the depths of her soul. And she had let him. Oh, had she let him! He had only said one thing that night, after the torrid moment where his mouth had sucked her will to live without anything but him, after his hand had wantonly explored the mounds of flesh flowing from her bodice. "Bella..." he had whispered in her ear. Had he known who she was? Was it simply a term of endearment in an unknown language? Or, was it the words of a man who would one day come for her? A man who would be her's...

Suddenly, it hit her. The same height, the same hair, the same devilish grin. Could this be the same man as her soon-to-be-husband? Had the man she could not know as anything but harsh and unyielding be the same man that had melted her own iron steel into the rippling pools of desire upon the antechamber's floor?

Could he be the man that Belle knew she could love? She thought once more of that kiss, and the familiar stirring in her loins flared up once more...

(Leonide - You're next)

Belle
Member # 2314

Ahhhhh!!!!

*swoons*

Ralphie - MUST move this to a new thread!

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*falls over laughing*

so...funny...can't...breathe...HAHAHAHAHA

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, those are just too funny!
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

*bump*

I can't believe the Romance Excerpt Thread started from this!

Sometimes I think I'm on crack.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.