FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attn Writers: Time for the Phobos Challenge (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Attn Writers: Time for the Phobos Challenge
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I'd love to read it. I love Connie Willis, though "Remake" was not one I warmed up to.

And I can't be on the list. I haven't finished my story. I don't know how it ends.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
*Sigh* Well, sometimes stories need to percolate for a while before they are ready. (You don't want to know how long some of my stories have percolated... [Eek!] ).

Thanks for looking at the story. I haven't read Remake, but from what I know, my story seems to have a somewhat similar premise, and I'm worried I've inadvertantly copied some of her ideas.

I'll send you an e-mail.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

I'd like to read your story. My e-mail is of course in my profile.

I am working on some stories, but I doubt anyone of them could be ready for Phobos.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

larisse, did you ever get a chance to read mine? I didn't hear back from you.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Phobos-related stuff, Anthology II just got a brand new cover illustration. I'm gettin' pumped.

I'm not doing the contest this year. I have a couple stories I might send to Phobos eventually, but I want to try them with the magazines first. And right now I'm trying to focus on my novel-to-be.

[ June 11, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Destineer ]

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Jeniwren,

Oh dear. I didn't get it. I don't think it got through to my e-mail. Try again would you because I really wanted to read it.

*larisse goes to kick her e-mail*

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't really belong here, but I don't think it deserves its own thread. I'm stuck on my novel--dead stuck. I know what comes next, and it should be a very exciting part of the story, but I'm not motivated to write it at all. I need someone to give me an objective, honest, even brutal critique of the 75 pages I have, so I can clean it up to the point where I like it again. Some parts I think are very good; others are a little slower, but I'm not sure what your opinion will be. Anyone who'd be willing to give it a read would receive two dozen virtual chocolate chip cookies and a huge thanks. [Big Grin]
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
I will read anything anyone wants to send as long as they don't mind an honest opinion about story line, character development and what not. I am not an English major and therefore will not comment on grammatical errors, it would just be wrong anyway. My Email is sdajzc@cox.net
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, um...are we going to get cracking?

What's the website's address anyway?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Mack,

Here is the link for the Phobos Writing Contest.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
larisse, did YOU get my story?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
DD- I would read it, if it doesn't have to be finished too soon, and if you can get it to me, cause it sounds like it owuld be too big for my email to handle. Oh, and if you still need someone to.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Email me your address and I'll mail it to you. Thanks, blacwolve!
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

DD, I missed your request. I'd be happy to read it also. You have my email addy, don't you?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
DD, I still owe mack comments on the story she sent me (sorry mack, this week, I promise), but if you're not in a big hurry I'd be glad to read.

dkw275@hotmail.com

edit: messed up my own e-mail addy!

[ July 01, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
DD I am still willing to read it also.

sdajzc@cox.net

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

blacwolve@yahoo.com
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Mack,

I am so sorry. I did receive your story, and I read it. I just haven't had time to really sort out my thoughts on it. I will tell you that I loved it. I'll sit down this week and reread it so that I can make sure my critique is fresh.

larisse
Member # 2221

DD,

I too would love to read your story, but I need to get some critiques done before I commit to reading anything else. I am behind... waaaay behind... but I wouldn't have it any other way.

*looks at pile of reading material then looks at piles of virtual cookies... next week perhaps [Smile] *

mackillian
Member # 586

[Smile] S'okay larisse.
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody up to read one more? It's just a little fella (less than 3000 words).

Doc

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

doc,

I'd be happy to read it. Just send it my way. My e-mail's in my profile.

Mack,

I hope you got my critique. For some reason, netscape wouldn't let me open your e-mail so I couldn't just do a simple reply. I had to get it from your profile, and I hoped I copied it alright. Let me know if you didn't receive it, and I will send it again.

mackillian
Member # 586

Got it. Finally finished editing the story, story now sent to Phobos.

*crosses fingers*

blacwolve
Member # 2972

*sighs*

I know I'm going to regret this.

Send it to me, doc, and then fend off DD when I finish your short one before her long one.

AndrewR
Member # 619

All right, mac! Glad to hear you sent it off.

I'm still working on mine (when I can find a moment or two). I hope to get it in at the last second, but I may trip up at the finish line. I keep thinking of things that might lend a bit more depth to the story, but I'm not sure, and may end up ruining it instead. Oh, well.

But I'm glad to hear that we have at least one entry to preserve our honor! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Well, I shot out two stories this evening. Any other last minute entries?

Doc

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted my story with about 25 minutes to spare! Procrastinators of the world, unite! [Razz]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! And good luck to everyone who submitted anything!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Just wanted to wish all that entered good luck. Thanks to all the people who allowed me to read your work. It was great fun. Maybe next year I will get up the gumption to submit my own.
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I entered a story. We'll see what happens.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

You're one up on me, doc. I submitted my one story on Wednesday (even though it still needed a bit more revision... [Frown] )

Good luck to everyone who submitted, and congratulations. Because even if your story doesn't win (and, just looking at probability, the chances aren't good), the story is completed. Which is the hardest step of all in writing.

And there are always other markets you can submit to later. [Smile]

docmagik
Member # 1131

So, for you folks you have entered before, will they really have results by the fifteenth? I seem to remember them not being so good about this the first year, but I didn't follow the second year . . .
AndrewR
Member # 619

This year they gave themselves a break. The results are due Oct. 15, instead of in September. Hopefully they will be on time this time.

So we still have a couple of more weeks of sweating to do. [Angst]

mackillian
Member # 586

You know, SOME of us had managed to forget about the contest entirely, therefore eliminating the sweating.

*glares at dogmagik*

docmagik
Member # 1131

Yeah, I know. According to the official OSC "what emotions to have when you've sent out a story" timeline, I am supposed to be in, "my story is worthless drivel," so that when I get it back I can say, "Of course! I expected to get this back!"

I was never good at getting my hopes down.

You'd think the pile of rejection slips would teach me something, neh?

mackillian
Member # 586

Yes. Watch out for papercuts.
docmagik
Member # 1131

So anybody else want to guess OSC's trip to Israel is going to delay the results? Or have all you already received notice that you've won?
AndrewR
Member # 619

Well, I haven't heard anything (which, of course, means absolutely nothing). And I can't recall if they first notify the winners or just publish the results.

According to the rules, the judges will make their final decisions by Oct. 15. But they never said anything about compiling the results by then. [Smile] So we may have a few more days before we know.

So...drumroll please...

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I hate waiting.

Sits in a corner and pouts.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Well, it's pretty much midnight in New York, where they're based out of, so the fifteenth has come and gone. Andybody want to call them and ask about when they want us to make our acceptance speeches? Thier phone number is listed on their website.
Dude Love
Member # 2437

- posted      Profile for Dude Love   Email Dude Love         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late for me to enter this?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Phobos is slow.

Pixeltown is in stores now, by the way. It's weird that they don't have a front-page announcement about it on Hatrack. Guess Alvin Maker takes higher priority.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Well, I gave them a ring. Apparently they're about a month behind. They still haven't got the finalists chosen and sent to the jury. But they will have everything ready, "before the holidays."

And they were really nice about all my questions.

mackillian
Member # 586

sweet jebus.
AndrewR
Member # 619

It must be because they got so many good entries from all of us, they are having an impossible time in deciding. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket...

Thanks for the info, docmagik.

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*will be submitting a story next year now that I'm 18*

*missed the age deadline by 9 days or something like that*

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Looks like this thread is approaching its one year anniversary.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.