FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why Math Is Awesome

Author Topic: Why Math Is Awesome
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
So it recently came to my attention (while chatting, which I am doing RIGHT NOW, and if you weren't so lacking in awesomeness, you'd know that already) that we can do some awesome stuff with math.

Allow me to elaborate:

• (a barrel full of monkey buttocks)^infinity = infinity
  • (Jon Boy)^infinity = infinity
Therefore:
  • (Jon Boy)^infinity = (a barrel full of monkey buttocks)^infinity
And, finally:
  • Jon Boy = a barrel full of monkey buttocks
I love math.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I would also like to point out this fun phrase:

saxon: I mean, monkeys make everything more fun

Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] rotfl
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon, I thought you were an engineer. Didn't you take calculus? Apparently not, or else you would know that your last step there isn't possible.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
..and I'm still in Algebra..*humph*
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steerpike
Member # 5179

- posted      Profile for Steerpike   Email Steerpike         Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo!
Now to go find someone to share this with/at.

Posts: 80 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this has just been linked I want to point out that if (Jon Boy) and (a barrel full of monkey buttocks) represented numbers it actually would work.

Before someone accuses my of mooning, "oo" means infinity. [Razz]

lim n-> oo (Jon Boy)^n = oo
lim n-> oo (a barrel full of monkey buttocks)^n = oo

lim n-> oo (Jon Boy)^n = (a barrel full of monkey buttocks)^n

lim n-> oo ln ((Jon Boy)^n) = ln ((a barrel full of monkey buttocks)^n)

lim n-> oo n*ln (Jon Boy) = n*ln (a barrel full of monkey buttocks)

Thus, dividing by n give us: (Jon Boy) = (a barrel full of monkey buttocks)

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
well, no, you can't manipulate infinities like that. Substitute 5 and 18 for jon boy and the barrel of monkeys and youll see why.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ha, but it's hard to see isn't it?

[EDIT: Not really hard to see, but easy to use to pull the wool over people's eyes, which is one of my guilty pleasures]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ January 14, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Hobbes! No biscuit!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I'm an English language major who hasn't done calculus in four and a half years, and I know that those equations are bunk. And you call yourself an engineer. For shame.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Razz] Silly calcus tricks don't make me an engineer, they would make me a mathematician. Besides which, if I was trying to awe someone with my math skills I would either preform linear regression on a data set, use triple integrals to find a 3D cross-section of a four dimensional equation, or give up. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Linear regression isn't awe inspiring. Its just not.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

This just seems like the right place for it:

There’s a physicist, a biologist, and a mathematician sitting at a café watching people walk by. The physicist notices two people walking into what appears to be an empty house, and then three people walking out about an hour later. The three discuss the event and try to determine what happened.

“We must’ve made a measurement error in our first count” the physicist proposes. The biologist says, “Or perhaps they reproduced while inside the house”. “Now,” muses the mathematician, “if someone walks into that house it will be empty”.

[Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Linear regression isn't awe inspiring. Its just not.
Thus option 3. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been floating around for a while now.

Also, I want to make everyone aware that the following formula in not what I actually believe in most of the time (I am married and have 3 daughters).

First, we state that girls require Time and Money.

Girls = Time x Money

And as we all know "Time is Money".

Time = Money

Therefore:

Girls = Money x Money = (Money)^2

And because "Money is the root of all Evil".

Money = square root of Evil

Therefore

Girls = (square root of Evil)^2

And we are forced to conclude that:

Girls = Evil

Edit: I found a better portrayal.
http://www.anvari.org/fun/Gender/Proof_that_Girls_are_Evil.html

[ January 15, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Tullaan ]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
And because we know that good people don't come to power be cause power corrupts, erso women rule the world.
Personally I have no problems with this at all, it just means that, I really have to watch out what I say when I talk to women...for they might off me at any time...speaking of that...has anyone se...

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*kills Bernard*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Tullaan, that particular 'proof' has been posted many times here, so don't be surprised if no one responds to it [Smile]

---
I love simple math patterns... Here are some I've found for the first 9 integers (yes, I know that the issue here is really just addition of evens and odds, but it is still fun):

1) If you add the individual digits of the results of 1 x n, until the result reduces to a number between 1 and 9 (so 1 x 14 = 14; 1 + 4 = 5 OR 1 x 39 = 39; 3 + 9 = 12, 1 = 2 = 3), you will get the repeating series {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

2) Same as above, for multiples of two: {2,4,6,8,1,3,5,7,9,...}

3) {3,6,9,...}

4) {4,8,3,7,2,6,1,5,9,...}

5) {5,1,6,2,7,3,8,4,9,...}

6) {6,3,9,...}

7) {7,5,3,1,8,6,4,2,9,...}

8) {8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,9,...}

9) {9,...}

Yes, I have too much time on my hands...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
As an added feature, for integers > 9, simply add and reduce all it's digits until it equals some number between 1 and 9 (so 14 corresponds to 5), and that single digit's series is what the multiples of the original number will follow.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Tullaan, the only problem with that equation is this:

if girls=time x money, that would mean the more time you spend with them, the less money it costs and honey - that just ain't true.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Annie

That's the best response to that 'proof' I've seen yet. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one for ya:

Any good engineer (or physicist) should know that Power is equal to work divided by time:

P = W / T

However, we also know that time is money, and knowledge is power, thus:

K = W / $

or, to rearrange a bit:

$ = W / K

Thus, as knowledge approaches zero, money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

It's a joke equation, sure, but it models the real world so nicely.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.