FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » O, Rinaldi's Italian Deli, how do I love thee?

Author Topic: O, Rinaldi's Italian Deli, how do I love thee?
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me count the ways.

Boar's Head pastrami.

Mayonnaise.

Lettuce.

Tomato.

Pickles.

Red Onions.

Pepperoncinis.

Melted mozzarella cheese.

A freshly baked sub roll.

Life is good, to be sure, but life is better with a good deli.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you, Saxon. I was already hungry, and then you go and post that. I have another forty minutes before I go home. Ack!

[ June 09, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
This really sounds like the kind of thread I could sink my teeth into.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an old Mad Magazine parody:

Hello, Deli.
This is Joe, Deli.
Would you please send up some turkey on rye.
A box of Ritz, Deli,
And some Schlitz, Deli.
Some tomatoes and potatoes and your apple pie...

(Can't remember the middle...)

Oh, please don't be late, Deli.
'Cause I cannot wait, Deli.
Deli without breakfast I will die.

(Sung to "Hello, Dolly" of course.)

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday morning
breakfast on the sun porch -- bread,
cured meats, mustard, cheese.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Man, I just never get tired of that sandwich.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I've just never enjoyed sandwiches [Wink]
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, sandwich haiku! Beautiful.

Simple joys of life
Ham, provolone, and mustard
Not much, but not bad.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

So, for the first time in the year since I was introduced to Rinaldi's, I ordered a different sandwich: turkey, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a sub roll. And it was good.

But I felt like a traitor.

saxon75
Member # 4589

::sigh::

I miss my old deli.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have discovered pannini, recently at Andiamo, a place in Amherst. (Sarah, have you tried them?) They are way too expensive, but my husband and I are both addicted.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum Pannini!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind sad - the best deli sandwich I can find comes from Publix (a chain grocery store).

White bread
Spicy mustard
mayo
roast beef
lettuce
Oil
Vinegar
Pepper

Simply delicious! [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: And American Yellow cheese. [Big Grin]

[ August 26, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What's Jon Boy posting here for?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good recipe for panini (which apparently has only one "n")

http://www.cuisineathome.com/learnmore/oe-47.html

Saxon 75,

I just visited my family in Phoenix. My brother turned forty, and I got him a gift certificate to this tiny family deli. He was SO excited. He has been going there since he was in high school! He always gets the same thing, turkey or tuna.

By the way, if any Phoenix folk are out there, it is called Cheese n Stuff.
My parents swear by DeFalco's, which also has hot Italian food.

[ August 26, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Erik, note the year shown on Jon Boy's last post.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This really sounds like the kind of thread I could sink my teeth into.
Punning privileges revoked! [Big Grin]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

saxy:

About the 'traitor' sandwich. Good call on mixing the avocado, turkey and tomato, but next time add bacon. It makes for an awesome sandwich.

And: Speaking of awesome -- that was an awesome haiku I wrote.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Turkey and bacon.
Bird and pig.
One would never think of them as compatible animals, yet in meat form they are pure poetry.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the Princess Diaries 2 (very silly. gives chick flicks a bad name) and was stumped as to why the Royal last name sounded so familiar. I was puzzled as to whether or not it was a real royal name.

Now I realize. Rinaldi - not only the Genovian royal line, but purveyors of fine Italian sandwiches as well!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I'm not sure if that makes me like the movie better or angry with it for sullying the name.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but I wish they would have stayed true to the books. That annoyed me a bit in the first one. They change core parts of her personality that are exactly what I liked about the books.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

So, let me tell you a little story about a sandwich I met this weekend. It had turkey and it had avocado. It had bacon and tomato and lettuce. But it also had bleu cheese. We thought about running off together and building a little cabin in the woods where we could raise little sandwich children. Instead, I ate it.

The end.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Bleu cheese?

Genius!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.