FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly Movie News: SERENITY TRAILER ON TUESDAY!!!!!!!!! (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Firefly Movie News: SERENITY TRAILER ON TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, thank you for saving me the hassle of hunting down the thread. [Big Grin] I was going to bump it myself!

First, have I linked to the Nilly Reviews yet? Nilly wrote some really wonderful, brain-tingling, gushing-from-the-heart reviews of the show. Read and enjoy!

Next, I have article links! slightly SPOILERY!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

quote:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041101c.php

Finding That Feeling Of "Serenity"
Posted: Monday November 1st, 2004 8:08pm
Author: Garth Franklin
Source:

At the recent White Room convention in Heathrow, "Firefly" cast members Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau and Morena Baccarin attended and talked about the upcoming film spin-off "Serenity". 'Mikey' was on hand to file this report:

"During the panel they said:

Morena: - 'I can tell you that you're not going to be disappointed. You're going to see a lot of things you've not seen before that you've wanted to see."

Nathan:- 'In the series, the mere mention of these would send fear into the heart of the bravest Jayne Cobb. In Serenity, the Reavers are right here."

Morena: - 'They're very scary."

Nathan: - 'You''d be having lunch, and they''d be across from you, and you'd be like sir, you lip is pinned back, and some of your hair is missing and your eye is hanging out."

Nathan refused to answer questions about Mal and Inara, and what we may or may not see regarding them in the film, but did start giving out Alliance dollar notes to anyone who asked a question, stolen from the set. Morena also told us, if the movie is successful, all nine actors are locked in. She has more action in the film, and actually got bruises on her neck one day from being manhandled.

Nathan has one scene, a close up where he falls into a close framed shot, hard, similar to his first death as Caleb in Buffy - he was dissatisfied with that, feeling his landing was too soft, so he was determined to make this new shot a harder, more realistic fall. Six takes later, he was regretting that decision. He has no nude scenes in the movie, but will be seen shirtless (all girlies in the audience are a mix of excited 'oohs" and disappointed 'ahhs").

The rebuilt ship took up a huge soundstage on Universal - the cargo bay & sickbay along one side, the top deck and bridge across the other. While they were filming the final scenes on the bridge, they were already tearing down the cargo bay across the stage - Nathan said it was very difficult to see it coming down a second time, as he had watched it come down when the series was axed. As already stated, the sets are largely the same, but there is 'more character, more detail" - Morena said it was like going home and finding someone had rearranged the furniture, the same but different. Nathan said 'there are cool flat plasma screens on the bridge."

Thanks again to 'Mikey'

Still not too happy that we are going to see the Reavers. I really liked them being off screen. Hopefully, it will work well.

quote:

from Scifi Wire at scifi.com

Serenity Gets Darker

Nathan Fillion—who stars in the upcoming SF movie Serenity, based on Fox's canceled series Firefly—told SCI FI Wire that his character, Capt. Mal Reynolds, will be a little darker than he was allowed to be in the TV show. "I think he's still on that same vein," Fillion said in an interview during a break in filming at Universal Studios in Los Angeles last August. "I think if anything, I think he's a little darker than he was before. I think he's a little more empty than he was before. He, too, has had the rug pulled out from under him a couple of times since we've known him in the series. And I also think that, because we're in a film, another difference versus television is we can be allowed to be darker. ... We don't have a ... TV producer saying, 'Make him more likable and funny.'"

Fillion plays the captain of a small transport ship 500 years in the future, leading a ragtag crew of survivors from a galactic civil war. The film will feature the series' creepy cannibalistic renegades, the Reavers, and also give Reynolds a love interest, Fillion said. As for making the film, he added, "It's a little different. We had eight days to put on a one-hour show. Now we've got the better part of three months to put out a two-hour show. So the timing is a little different. But certainly I can tell that the quality is also extremely different."

As for his acting style, Fillion said, "I haven't made any drastic changes or anything. I have noticed that my nose is a lot bigger on screen. It's like, there are times when if you could put your arms up, that's about how wide my nostrils are. I've always known I have big nostrils, but now I could park a Buick in them." Serenity is slated for an April 2005 release. Universal is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

I've always known I have big nostrils, but now I could park a Buick in them. [ROFL]

quote:

actionadventure.about.com

Alan Tudyk Talks Serenity
From Fred Topel, Your Guide to Action-Adventure Movies.

I usually get a few comments from actors about their upcoming comments, but it’s rare that you get basically a full interview while somebody’s promoting another film. To be fair, I will present Alan Tudyk’s interview for I, Robot later this week. But for now, here’s all he had to say about Serenity, the feature length film based on the short-lived TV series Firefly.

Tudyk played the ship’s pilot, Wash Warren. On TV, the ship explored different worlds as a sort of space western, without aliens. Joss Whedon makes his feature film directing debut with the film, named after the ship.

How did you get a movie from a failed TV show? Joss Whedon. Well, it also was the fans. You know those sci-fi fans. Firefly, when it was cancelled, they took down the website I think, and then three went up.

There was a Firefly website all the time when the TV show was over and it became this community place to go. And they didn’t always just talk about Firefly, but there are all those “an episode that wasn’t written” type of thing. They do a lot of that. They do a lot of art, they do all kinds of things with it. But Joss Whedon loved the show and didn’t feel like it got a fair shake and was committed to it so totally. When we were cancelled, he said at the party, he said, “This isn’t over.” Everybody’s like, “Oh, that’s sweet. I hope he’s right, but…” He said, “I will produce etchings if that’s all I can produce, but this will happen again, something, some form, it will have a place. And he made it his mission. And after the DVD sales were good, but even before that, he had found people who were of his like mind at Universal Studios. And then it was first the Herculean task of wrenching the rights from Fox, which I can’t even imagine what that was like, but he pulled it off. And we have a lot of support at Universal. They’re really happy with what we’ve done. We’re about a month and a half into shooting now and they’re extraordinarily excited. We all get along so well. It’s ridiculous?

Is the movie bigger? Yeah, it is bigger. Our costumes are cooler. Our ship is the same although it’s actually a little bit cooler. Hallways are a bit wider to accommodate better acting. It’s not as dangerous. You need wider halls for better acting. The first rule of acting is wide, open space. It’s not as dangerous as a set. It used to be you’d put your hand on something and you’d come away with blood. Now there are very smooth surfaces. It is all a little bit smoother around my bridge. I shot the day before yesterday, it was my first day flying the space ship and I got all sorts of new switches, switches and buttons that light up and I have these two little screens that hang above my head that I never had before that all access different things.

You probably only shoot two pages a day now? Yeah, we shoot a lot less which is great. We do have that luxury and it is a luxury. But also on the TV show, we did a lot. That element is still there but it’s not as much because it’s not going to be on the TV screen.

How many films are you signed for? It is a three-picture deal at Universal and I think it’s going to be about how the first one performs to see how the other two do. But the way that it’s been budgeted, I have a lot of faith that it’s going to do well business-wise, on a bottom line sort of scale. I think it’s going to do enough, it’ll be hard not to do what it’s supposed to do. If something cataclysmic would happen, and such a good script too on top of it all, I’m certain there’s going to be three.

How is Joss Whedon handling his feature directing debut? Well, he loves it because he directed a lot of the TV shows. You know, doing one hour single camera isn’t too far from doing a movie. It’s not that whole multi-camera thing. It’s just a lot faster paced, so it’s the same way of directing just with a lot more time and a lot more opportunity to get it perfect.

Twice as much money? Yeah, a lotta money. The pilot that we shot for Firefly, a two hour pilot that Fox decided to show last because it explained the whole story so it was good to show that last. So you knew what you were missing now. You can go, “Oh, that’s what it meant.” I think we made that for $12 million it was reported at the time. Oh my God, a $12 million pilot, a two hour pilot. And we have 50 million dollars to do two hours now. So we can do a lot.

What is the mission? I can say this and I can’t say much because Joss will kill me. In the TV show, if you know the characters of River and Simon who are some of the people onboard the ship are wanted by the law. And it got us into trouble a lot. They’re still wanted by the law in the movie, but the Alliance, the law assigns a guy to catch her who’s really, really good at his job. That’s all I can say.

Who plays that character? Chiwetel [Ejiofor], he was the lead in Amistad. It took me so long to remember Chiwetel. He’s an English actor. It’s on the website. I should know that.

Does it still have the western theme? I think just like in the series, some of the episodes had more of a western theme than others that depended on the story of which planet we went to. This story doesn’t require it. I think it still lives in that world. I mean, his idea is that we had all of these new planets being terraformed, they became like pioneer days so all that stuff just evolved out of it. It was natural for it to be there alongside technology. But we don’t spend too much time in those types of worlds in the movie, so you don’t see it, but it’s still part of the universe.

I got all sorts of new switches, switches and buttons that light up... Yes, but does he have the all-important Three Magic Switches over his head? [Big Grin]

IGN report from the set. MAJOR SPOILERS in this one!

Next, JOSS SPEAKS!!!

quote:

"Well, sports fans, it's official. The movie is shot. Done. And I couldn't be happier to be through with it. No more of that exciting, vibrant set, that warm camaraderie, that creative stimulus, free donuts... Excuse me. I have something in my eye... free donuts...

Oh, there's things I'll miss. But there's definitely things I WON'T miss.
In no particular order:

1) Fillion. People who are prettier than me are not supposed to be funnier than me. I think it's a guild thing. And that whole 'gracious and professional' thing got old on day ONE, you know what I mean?

2) Cinematographer Jack Green. This guy lights stuff ALL THE TIME. Seriously, like eighty-three percent of the shots had light in them. He totally didn't get my "Just Like Radio" concept for the film.

3) The incessant meddling of the studio: where was it? We waited and waited, what, are they all too busy and important to take the time to ruin my little film? This is Hollywood, people. Learn our ways and customs while you're here. Sheesh.

Just a taste of the Hell I've been through. And being surrounded by beautiful women, and, let's face it, beautiful men, all of whom get along, work hard and play their characters with such ease and nuance it's clear they were born for the roles -- who needs that?

But no matter how much I suffer for my art, it's worth it. 'Cause come April 22nd I think we'll be bringing you an exciting film that's a powerful statement about the right to be free. Which is not as cool as my original statement about the right to tasty garlic mussels in a cilantro broth, but the freedom thing's okay too. The editing started this week, and after just a first cut I can safely say this will be the greatest film since whatever film comes out right before it. And I'm not backing down from that.

Thanks for your support. And I mean that more literally than people usually do -- Coming back from the Chicago Con and telling people there was a Serenity booth put up and run entirely by fans... you should have seen their faces. Hell, you should have seen mine. But not too close. And not before, like, 10:00 -- maybe 11:00 a.m. And maybe sort of from the side. The back-ish part of the side. You should have seen my hair.

Be well. Good things are coming.

Cilantro!

-joss."

There, that should tide you over until I can hunt down some more. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy Whedon got the 3 movie deal. But does that mean no more Firefly on TV?

My favorite parts of Whedon's shows are the throwaway, gratuitous scenes that does not advance the plot. Scenes where Wesley complains about bad coffee and Cordy ordering Dennis around are the best parts of the Whedon Experience. We probably won't get as much gratuitous Whedon goodness on the big screen. Ack. I'm so greedy.

[ November 19, 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read most of what you quoted there, xnera, because I'm trying to leave myself as many surprises as possible, but yeah, I was also disappointed when I heard that we'd be seeing reavers. The imagined horror is so much more potent than the one that is depicted onscreen, you know?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we've already sort of seen one Reaver. I imagine the rest of them look like that, only more so.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

True
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There won't be any more Firefly on TV anyway, not for roughly seven more years. FOX got the ten year rights.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
xnera: I'll probably be heading out to go see it with a couple other 'rackers, we briefly mentioned doing something like that at wenchcon. I'm probably going out to MI to see it.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::hugs mark::

THat is, of course, assuming that it'll paly in this tinly little hole of a town.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Well, what if it doesn't play in that little town?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

then we go to a bigger town.

I'm guessing it'll play here.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Ooo! Michigan may be doable. [Big Grin] It depends on how the finances are by then, and if it will interfere with Bob & Dana's wedding or not. As much as I love Firefly, the wedding comes first. [Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Promo picture! Costume and set spoilers.

I want River's dress.

xnera
Member # 187

Also, a book of essays on Firefly, entitled Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly. I am so buying that when it comes out.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey! There's no Inarra in that picture!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, I can't wait to read that book. Looks great.
xnera
Member # 187

So I surfed on over to Buffistas.org this morning, and saw that there was 120 new posts in the Firefly thread. That's unusual--usually there are only a few, if any. Which means only one thing: Joss dropped by to say hi. And he brought some news with him:

quote:

Are you guys starting to hear that fanfare? Those distant drums? Are you slapping on your side-arms, pulling on your long brownish-colored coats and thumbing your crisp new bills in anticipation of the cinematic event of the year? Well, it's official: on April 22nd you, the true the blue the loyal, can step right up with the rest of America and WAIT FIVE MORE MONTHS.

Heh. See, sometimes studios shuffle around release dates...

Okay. Don't panic. right now you're panicking. you're thinking, "how could they do this to me?" But what you SHOULD be thinking is: "How could they do this to JOSS?". Seriously. That pity is mine and I want it back.

So what happened? Well, nothing terribly original. April got crowded with a lot of titles aimed at a similar demographic, and the studio decided September was a clearer corridor for the film to make the kind of impact it should. This isn't about a lack of confidence in the film -- in fact, they told me this before they even saw it. And now they have seen it, and unless they're way better liars than I'm used to, they dug it. Actually, they dug it pretty large, which is a good sign since there's not a single finished effect in the film. There's no reworking the end, no reshoots, no "does it have to be in space?". It's just a marketing issue. Now you'll get to watch lots of trailers in the summer. And hopefully, by the time it comes out, other people, people who ain't us, will get a whiff of what we're up to, and come along too.

I love this movie. I HATE waiting to show it too you. I felt pretty much the way I imagine you're feeling right now when they told me. But these guys know what they're doing, and they're trying to protect their investment, not bury it. So I gotta be a grown-up. The release date is September 30th. Hopefully it won't change again.

Spread the word. Keep the faith. And gleam the damn cube already.

-j

I'm disappointed that we have to wait longer, but this means I get Serenity for my birthday, which is pretty darn cool.
xnera
Member # 187

More Jossness, from the comments at Whedonesque:

quote:

You guys are sweetumses. If I was here to rouse you to action, I'd be wearing pants. I mean, using... rhetoric... (note to self: delete pants thing.) The fact is, I'm crushed, because I'm so anxious for you all to see what we've done. I want the world to know that Nathan Fillion is the next Harrison Ford (Well, he IS). I want them to see how amazing Summer Glau is... not to mention the whole cast and Jack Green, the greatest DP in DP-land, everybody just did such good work it almost makes me wish I'd written a coherent script! Or, I mean... um, hey, no pants! (Note to self...) So there you have it, or me, disappointed and impatient. But I really do believe in this studio. They supported this project since before I'd even thought up the SURPRISINGLY COHERENT script (nice save!) and they've been very up-front about their scheduling and marketing stratgies. so I stand with their decision, but, as Abe Simpson would say: "They're in for the frowning of a lifetime!"

How's that cube coming? Gleamy?
joss | November 23, 06:00 CET

xnera
Member # 187

What, no comments on the date change? I am shocked.

From Adam Baldwin (Jayne):

quote:

So, I'm walking back from Starbuck's today and guess who comes riding up on his bicycle? No... not John Mellencamp. JOSS, it was Joss.

So he says, "I was going to call you today" and I say, "About the postponement?" "Yeah, I figured if anyone would already know it would be Adam, MR. ONLINE GUY" So he proceeds to tell me that this will be a blessing in disguise and the studio is really happy with the film and wanted more time to gear up a really kick-a$$ marketing SCHEME. Which they will.

Then we chit-chatted for a while about family and stuff... Caterpillars... the length of the show... the fact that Jayne is really cool... and funny... and strong looking.... and "Oh, by the way," he asks, "are you guys free next Thursday for a screening?"

So I say, "Hmmmmm I'll check my schedule but I think perhaps maybe it will be a possibility that I will attempt to squeeze it in." What's that guy's name again? Oh yeah... Joss. The boss. AKA G-d.

So anyway guys, this is good news, let's take it as GOOD NEWS. It felt rushed to me anyway. Like the series did. Now we have plenty of time for all of those summer-esque trailers and OSCAR (trademark) considerations.

Love and Serenity Always,

A.B.

And from Variety:

quote:

U Pictures Shuffles 2005 Release Sked

Universal Pictures has confirmed it has moved back the release date for upcoming Nicole Kidman starrer "The Interpreter," causing a chain reaction of changes to its release sked over the next 12 months.

The Sydney Pollack-helmed pic has been moved from Feb. 18 to April 22.

This, in turn, means that "Serenity" -- based on the now-canceled Fox skein "Firefly" created by Joss Whedon -- has been moved from April 22 to Sept. 30. However, that displaces "Jarhead," the Sam Mendes-helmed pic based on Anthony Swofford’s memoir as a Marine sniper in the first Gulf War.

"Release dates and the distribution calendar are fluid documents," said Paul Pflug, a U spokesman. "As a distributor, we’re always looking for the best dates available."

Meanwhile, U has dated two other pics on the release calendar. Kate Hudson starrer "The Skeleton Key" -- a thriller helmed by Iain Softley and penned by Ehren Kruger -- has been set for July 8; Judd Apatow’s "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," a coming-of-age pic by the helmer and Steve Carell, has been slated for Nov. 23.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't really mind the delay, somehow. I can't wait to see it, but if they can do a better marketing job with a Sept. release date, more power to them. I want this movie to do really well.
xnera
Member # 187

Jewel Staite (Kaylee) chimes in:

quote:

24 November 2004

Okay.......

So I know there's a bit of panic and disappointment in the air, re: the delaying of the premiere of "Serenity".... but this isn't such a bad thing! The delaying, I mean.

I can say completely honestly that I am not shocked that there would be a delay. This is Hollywood. This happens all the time. And it's for good reason, too. From what I am told, Universal is very excited about this movie. They love everything they've seen, and what they HAVE seen is without most of the special effects, which is saying a lot. Perhaps they came to some realizations about what needs to be done to market our movie properly. Or maybe they just want to make sure that it has the best opening weekend it can. They really do care. They're not doing this to be assholes. They're doing it for business reasons. Studios like to make their money back—trust me. Don't worry. Just think of it this way: by the time the movie actually opens, you will be peeing your pants with anticipation (hopefully), and you'll want to see it triple the times you were planning to see it in the first place!! (right?)

And also, this just gives us (meaning us as in actors and us as in the rest of you, the devotees as I proudly like to call you) more time to seek new converts. More time to buy your friends those DVD box sets. More time to get the word out about the film, so it can open successfully and so we can do a couple more. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING happens for a reason. I am a firm believer in that.

In the mean time, we will continue making appearances at conventions, as long as we are invited and are able. There is news of one in February that a lot of us may be attending, and a lot of you know about the one in the UK in late April of next year. We are spreading the word as best we can!

For non-Serenity news, my movie I wrapped not too long ago, Widow on the Hill, will be airing on the Lifetime network at the end of January. And as far as I know, THAT has not been pushed. Ha ha. Not that funny, I know.

It will all work out for the best. And that's not a comment from my faith. It's just simply a fact.

Now, go watch your Firefly DVDs again!

Jewel

twinky
Member # 693

Good. [Smile]

But I am still somewhat sad. [Frown]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Hopefully they can get out some advertising starting now. Like a trailer on apple.com so I can send it to everyone [Smile]
Becky: looks like we'll have to schedule it then.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just talked my parents into renting the DVD as our
Thanksgiving movie, so hopefully there will be three more Firefly converts by the time Serenity comes out.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Fine with me. Then I don't have to clear it with anyone.

Ni!

xnera
Member # 187

I wish we could do spoiler fonts here.

Jewel weighs in on the promo pic. SLIGHT SPOILERS for set design, costuming, and very vague plot points.

quote:

K...

Usually I keep quiet and observe, but I feel like I have to speak up 'cause some of you are ASSUMING things... that aren't true. So.

(here's where I say possible spoiler alert)

When this picture was taken, we were in the middle of filming a scene where we're going somewhere. Somewhere not on the ship. That's why I'm not wearing my usual mechanic coveralls. Simon is NOT wearing a funeral outfit. Mal's pants are less tight, yes. Adam's hair looks like that 'cause there's a shadow behind him. Book and Inara aren't there because they were busy with something else, NOT because they're not in the movie so much. Wash is packing heat because the photographer wanted him to be holding a prop, that's all. (photographers are sometimes big on props). As far as facial expressions go, this pic was taken along with about a hundred other pics in the span of about five minutes or so.... It was very rushed. I would probably have not chosen this pic out of all of the ones he took (and it really did seem like a hundred) but whatever.

And lastly, yes I am skinnier. Not that big of a deal, trust me. I still look relatively the same in the coveralls, and I was very, very happy that I didn't have to continuously stuff my face all day to keep the weight on like I had to do in the series.

And the cargo bay looks very much the same as it did in the series. It might not look like it in this photo... but the changes are slight.

TRUST ME. Don't go by this photo... or any photos. Just watch the movie!! There's obviously going to be some changes... but trust Joss, too. He's a very smart man. The changes are good. It's still the same Firefly, the same characters, the same relationships, and the same beautiful ship. But better.

Love, Jewel

PS Why the heck is the alias "JewelStaite" already taken? I had to use the b from my middle name and now it looks weird.

Oh yeah...

And I'm not wearing a watch. That's a very cool, very spacy, very Kaylee-like leather bracelet. It even has little daisies drawn on it somewhere.

J

xnera
Member # 187

New logo. Joss confirms:

quote:
Yup, that's the logo -- for the film itself. I don't know what the adverts will use -- could be different. Depends on what feeling they're looking to evoke. Bye for now!
joss | November 28, 20:47 CET

I'm not sure how I like. It's pretty, but... well, I really liked the TV show's logo. Also, I agree with what someone on Whedonesque said: it gets the Eastern feel down, but there's no sense of "space" or "western" in there.
twinky
Member # 693

I always thought that the word "Serenity" looked silly in the Firefly font. I thought "Firefly" looked good that way, but not "Serenity."
blacwolve
Member # 2972

My family found everything wrong with Firefly. Complained about almost everything. And forced us to watch 8 episodes in 3 days, even staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning to finish. [Big Grin] Overall, I'd ay it was a success.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What were their complaints? I hooked my family on the series too--14 episodes in 3 days, with much gnashing of teeth over the fact that such a fantastic series could have been canned. They're planning on seeing the movie in the theater, which is almost unheard of for them.

Only episode they disliked was The Message, but frankly I've never cared for that one all that much myself.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

*thinks* "It isn't as complex as Babylon 5" "Aren't there any aliens?" "How does the spaceship travel?" "I don't like it as much as Babylon 5" "What's going on?" "Let's watch another episode."
xnera
Member # 187

The cast has viewed the movie!

quote:

linky

It's great. "Serenity" is a great movie.

With temp effects, the BDM still kicks a$$!!! You'll love it! Every single one of our beloved cast of characters (and some newbies) are well-served and showcased in a loving and thrilling way... even Jayne. ;- )

Joss is our hero!

We all went out to Nate's favorite sushi restaurant afterwards and had a grand time, hic!

Can't talk story, but the movie is one of the most unique and exciting film experiences I've ever witnessed. Riveting...

I'm sure you'll all agree.

Informational chestnut:

Apparently there will be some test screenings in the very near future. I know not when, or where. Mitch can, if he is available, certainly give the particulars about the protocols of this stage in the process; and how the reactions in those tests affect the forward momentum of the BDM. That marketing and promotional stuff is way above my pay-grade. :- )

Serenity and love to all,

A.B.
(can't wait to see it again)

Yes, I will let you know if I hear anything about where the test screenings might be. *crosses fingers for Chicago & vicinity*
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, I would *so* drive to Chicago to see a test screening!
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they say anything about the movie being viewable to people who haven't seen the series?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

THIS IS AN UNCONFIRMED RUMOR.

http://www.fireflymovie.com/news.html

quote:
December 14, 2004

Test screenings for Serenity start tomrrow!

Rumor has it, test screenings start in LA tomorrow for Serenity. Oh to live in SoCal. I don't have any info on how to get tickets, but my personal experience is that they tend to give them away to tourists around the famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood.

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Grumble]

Wish they'd do test screenings where *I* live.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] You could always come visit here.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Reports from the test screening! NO SPOILERS.

quote:

Tamara - Dec 14, 2004 10:53:45 pm PST

It was beyond fabulous! Words can not describe it and they won't (at least not coming from me).

I can definiteltly see us getting more movies. We have a hit, people!

Tamara - Dec 14, 2004 11:00:45 pm PST

All the effects were not finished (probably about 80%) but nothing that really mattered. There was some CGI missing but the story was all there.

The music and credits weren't complete either. And not a bit of it mattered.

I am floating on air!

Tamara - Dec 15, 2004 12:57:28 am PST

I will not give anything away. I was shocked and surprised many times and I would never deny someone else the same experience.

Just know that we will definitely get more of that fabulous universe.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

And a link to the NON-spoiler test screening thread at Whedonesque. A quick glance at this shows VERY positive reactions. I'm staying out of the spoiler thread myself, so I won't even post a link to it here.
xnera
Member # 187

Trailer news!

quote:
The latest according to someone over at fff.net is that the trailer will be attached to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which opens May 6th.

This is unconfirmed, as I am not sure who this "someone over at fff.net" is. Could be an official person, or could be just anyone.
xnera
Member # 187

Isn't it about time for the news machine to go into high gear? I want to see Serenity get as much press as possible! Yet it feels like there's been no news as of late. [Grumble]

...I just added a Google Alert for Serenity news, so hopefully I'll have more soon! [Big Grin]

Do we have any fans in London?

quote:

http://www.fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=2&t=8674&m=115872

"Serenity" preview in LONDON !!!!!!

This is for Starfury:Serenity ticket holders ONLY !!

""As many of you may have been reading on the internet, Universal have been conducting a series of test screenings of an advance print of SERENITY to gauge audience reaction to the film.

At 6:30pm on Tuesday 8th February, Universal will be showing SERENITY for the first time outside of the US at a cinema in central London.

It is not a complete version of the film. The music score has yet to be done, and the bulk of the special effects have yet to be completed. It may also undergo further re-edits or changes between now and the final release in September.

Chris Buchanan, the producer of SERENITY, and Michael Boretz, Joss Whedon's assistant, thought it would be cool to let British Browncoats have an incredible opportunity to see SERENITY a full 8 months prior to release!

They have kindly asked Universal to make a number of tickets available exclusively to STARFURY to distribute to FIREFLY Fans.

Hopefully Whedonesque will do another non-spoiler reaction thread like it did for the first test screening. Will post a link if they do.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about it. It seems that TV shows are doomed to either be cancelled before their time or to jump the shark.

It's almost enough to make me not furious about Firefly.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

WHEE!!! COMIC!!!!!!!

quote:

Comics: But They Really Want to Direct

Serenity
By Joss Whedon

The "Buffy" creator got his fangs in this new series. Out in July. A prequel to the upcoming movie based on the canceled TV show "Firefly"—set 500 years from now. Are you lost yet?

link

I am much excited. [Smile]
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer will be linked with Hitchhiker's movie this summer...TWO big reasons to go to the theatre when it opens!
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

More on the comic book:

quote:

Serenity prequel comic book details and artwork. "Dark Horse Comics confirmed for Newsarama that they will be publishing the three-issue prequel, written by Whedon and Brett Matthews.... Issue #1 is due in July.". And see a sketch of the Serenity crew drawn by the artist Will Conrad by clicking here.

Whedonesque

Joss showed up in the comments to the thread. Sayeth he:

quote:

Hey, It's me -- or an incredible simulation! Still recovering from that intense Wondercon experience I had in the near future. And that fun announcement about the Serenity comic that I made... if you're a comic book geek such as my own self, you were SO psyched. If you're not, you dozed off. But I definitely have something up my sleeve... it's an arm! a hideous arm! Get it off me!

joss | February 18, 18:02 CET

Also, there's some other kind of book (possibly a script book) being released when the movie opens. If it's the script, I am SO buying it. I love reading Joss scripts.

[ February 18, 2005, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

xnera
Member # 187

Video clip from Wondercon

No spoilers. Just Adam, Summer, Nathan & Joss having fun at a Q&A session. [Smile]

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Whedon's chin ferret is scary. [Embarrassed]

It always amazes me to see the level of enthusiasm the cast have for the show/movie. Rumor has it that Nathan Fillion personally bought about a dozen DVD sets with which to spread the word- now THAT'S devotion!

Can't wait for the BDM. [Smile]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the Guys brought the box set to Georgia and we rationed them out, one per night, for a month when we had time. I cannot understand how this series did not run forever. It is so cool on so many levels, without half trying.

Saffron, I have seen three times! My God is it good. I heard that the show had timing glitches and missed episodes and all sorts of problems while being aired, but why in the name of the Verse has the sci fi channel not picked it up?

If I am to fight for America I expect the rest of you to see to it that this show has a home before I come back in a year!

It is so hard to pick my favorite female that the show is a complete spin. The male lead, formerly the last Buffy villin, and the several other Joss recycles are terrific! River... who can say enough about this potential super chick!

The buzz on the net is universaly favorable so what is wrong with this picture!

BC

[ March 17, 2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Bean Counter ]

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

TRAILER ON TUESDAY!!! ON THE APPLE SITE!!!!

*does the dance of joy*

[ April 22, 2005, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yay!

Does that link point where you're wanting it to point?

xnera
Member # 187

d'oh! Fixed. That's what I get for multi-tasking and posting when I'm tired. [Smile]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Storge_Space link
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.