FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What songs make you cry? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What songs make you cry?
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by Hobbes' thread, what songs are particularly heart-wrenching/tear-jerking for you?

"Seeing is Believing" by Acceptance seems to do it for me, lately.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of all the depressing music I have, nothing seems to make me want to pull the trigger more than -- oddly enough -- Counting Crows' "Round Here." Not even Damien Jurado gets me sighing as deeply.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
"When the Tigers Broke Free" by Pink Floyd is a very sad song IMHO.

"Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica always used to make me cry but I am fairly sure that was just because of a person I associated with the song, not the song itself. [Smile]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens always used to make me cry when I was growing up. I can't explain it. Just a personal reaction, I guess.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
No song has ever made me cry. But I think the most emotionally charged song I know is "Evaporated" by Ben Folds Five. It just happened to be being played in the background of a number of difficult times in my life. I always feel overwhelmed when I hear it.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LR
Member # 5109

- posted      Profile for LR           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a song that makes me cry...but it brings back the memories that hurt the most...An ex-girlfriend and I were really serious and we had all the usual true loves things including a song, Eric Clapton's "Wonderful". It's a beautiful song but whenever I hear it I think about the good and bad times, and the worst time where we broke up a few days before I was going to pop the question to her. Needless to say everyone was shocked when we broke up(two and a half years of blissful loving). That's a burn that lasts a life time or lasted so far without the hurt leaving. If her mom didnt hate me we would probably still be together(they had a really close relationship:only daughter), but thats the past
Posts: 113 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww that's so sad! [Frown]

(((LR)))

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum
Member # 2549

- posted      Profile for Possum   Email Possum         Edit/Delete Post 
Nessun Dorma sung by Pavarotti may not make me cry, but it sure gives me goose bumps.

(I hope I have acceptable spellings here)

Posts: 201 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lover, You Should Have Come Over" by Jeff Buckley.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"Love, Me" by Colin Raye.

prolixshore's post about his grandfather has made me remember this.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Follow," by Jerry Jeff Walker(he sings it but i don't know who wrote it)

"Father and Daughter," by Paul Simon(oh my goodness, here I go, just thinking about listening to it)

"Ave Verum"(Church song-can't remember who composed it)

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"Love of My Life" DMB
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I connect more deeply with music than with anything else, and a lot of songs will mist me up if I let them. Off the top of my head, "Romeo & Juliet," both the Dire Straits version and the Indigo Girls version, "A Better Place to Be" and "Tangled Up Puppet," by Harry Chapin, "Back to Good," by Mathchbox Twenty, and many songs by Counting Crows and Indigo Girls.

One that I'm terribly embarrassed to admit is that awful, manipulative, transparent song "Butterfly Kisses." Everybody was playing it it all the time around fathers' day, which I thought was absurd, because it doesn't strike me as a good fathers' day song at all. And yet, despite how transparent it is, it does get me everytime, perhaps because I'm the father of girls. Whenever I hear it come on, I change stations.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
"My Deliverer" by Rich Mullins.

"The Twist" by The Swirling Eddies.

"Hole in the World" by Daniel Amos.

"Cold Missouri Waters" by Lucy Kaplansky, Richard Shindell, and Dar Williams (aka Cry, Cry, Cry).

"Shades of Gray" by Lucy Kaplansky, Richard Shindell, and Dar Williams (aka Cry, Cry, Cry).

"All My Tears" by Emmylou Harris.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Without fail, Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." For many, many reasons.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a paper cut from some sheet music for a medley of Phantom of the Opera songs, I'mnot afraid to admit that a few tears fell that day... Does that count?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm embarassed at the number of Country songs, but:

"Love Me" - Colin Raye
"Standing Outside the Fire" - Garth Brooks
"She's in Love with the Boy" - Trisha Yearwood
"Lightning Crashes" - Live
"Smell the Color 9" - Chris Rice
"Deep Enough to Dream" - Chris Rice
"Ziploc" - Lit

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
the scientist, by coldplay.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
"Goin' Blind" by Kiss. (Although I prefer the Melvins' version.)
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Eds! "'Round Here" does it for me, too -- and I don't know why.

I think it's the aching sadness that he manages to emote -- and even after years and several albums later, when he's completely cheapened that particular sound to the point that we find it in "Big Yellow Taxi," I'm still grabbed by the tonality when he hits, for some bizarre reason, "we all stay up very, very, very, very late." [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My music tend to deepen and intensify my feelings, but rarely cause them. Some of it will always make me feel better, but some of it was written for movies when the audience was supposed to get depressed and whenever I'm even vaguely sad it really gets me. I don't cry that often when I listen to it but...sometimes.

Philip Glass's Dracula (re-done soundtrack to the old 1920-30s Dracula) can really get me going.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the scientist, by coldplay.
Porce, agree completely...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Sullivan
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
"Holes in the Floor of Heaven" by Steve Wariner, who is a great songwriter, by the way.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Songs have never made me cry - I don't cry often or easily - but there are some that I've cried along to through difficult times and some that have made me want to cry. The first one that comes to mind is A Question of Faith by the now-defunct Canadian band Sandbox. This is one of three songs that I listened to frequently during a particularly painful time in my life. The music is powerful because of the lyrics, so here's a snippet:

you left us all behind
was this the way that you'd remind us to cry?
how could I be this close
and not go through what I'm supposed to, why?
was there something I forgot?
was it the service?
maybe I'm just selfish today

and I can't comprehend why I'm not feeling sentimental
is it a question of my faith?
if you were here today, would you look at me and come out swinging?
I never meant for you to hate me
but I didn't feel

The second one was The Offspring's Gone Away. It's a pretty obvious choice.

laying flowers on your grave
to show that I still care
but black roses and 'Hail Mary's
can't bring back what's taken from me
I reach to the sky
and I call out your name
and if I could trade, I would

The third, and least important/relevant, was Creed's My Own Prison ("Gabriel stands and confirms I've created my own prison").

Of the songs that have made me want to cry at various times, the most poignant is Marilyn Manson's Man that You Fear. It contains the lyric "the boy that you loved is the man that you fear."

The theme from Gattaca has also been known to make me want to cry. Ben Folds' Magic is another ("saw you last night / stars in your eyes / shined in my room"). There's also The Smashing Pumpkins' Galapagos, which is a magnificent song.

and if we died right now
this fool you love somehow
is here, with you

Tool's Jimmy is a powerful one in two places. First, "it took me so long to realize / you hold the light that's been calling me back home" ...even more so when you realize what exactly he's talking about, and then the more cryptic "one and one are one, eleven" in the buildup to the song's climax. Staying with Tool, Prison Sex has a moment that makes me misty in a disturbing yet powerful way. Right at the end of the bridge, which is a climax in the song of sorts, we hear "I have found / a kind of temporary sanity in this / s__t, blood, and c_m on my hands / I've come around full circle" ...given that the song is about sexual abuse it's chilling but still somehow compelling. Jimmy also relates to abuse, but not as directly.

In Metallica's To Live is to Die/Dyers Eve, the middle section has a clean, quiet rhythm guitar progression (no band at all), but when the lead kicks in... wow. Moving.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
TAK,

quote:
"Standing Outside the Fire" - Garth Brooks
You know, I really don't like "pop country" much at all (with, of course, a few noteable exceptions), but once I got over my own preconceptions of the genre I found that I really like Garth Brooks. Although I did find his version of "American Pie" almost as bad as Madonna's. For some reason it didn't work for me at all.

quote:
"Deep Enough to Dream" - Chris Rice
Wow! I haven't listened to Chris Rice in ages! This song is great, although I don't think it's ever made me cry.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ravenclaw
Member # 4377

- posted      Profile for ravenclaw           Edit/Delete Post 
"Tears in Heaven"- Eric Clapton
Posts: 252 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Grow Old Along With Me by John Lennon, recording by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

I love that song. It was the "first dance" song at our wedding, and I always tear up when I hear it.

Butterfly Kisses is a close second.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're not using "cry" too literally, there're plenty of Portishead and Lisa Germano songs that do this.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a song by the Black Crowes that can make me cry, but only cuz it reminds me of my sister that died. It's "She Talks to Angels." My sister was schizophrenic and the song perfectly describes her.

She never mentions the word addiction
In certain company.
Yes, she'll tell you she's an orphan
After you meet her family.

She paints her eyes as black as night now.
She pulls those shades down tight.
Yeah, she gives me a smile when the pain comes.
The pain gonna make everything alright.

Says she talks to angels.
They call her out by her name.
Oh yeah, she talks to angels.
Says they call her out by her name.

She keeps a lock of hair in her pocket.
She wears a cross around her neck.
The hair is from a little boy,
And the cross from someone she has not met, well, not yet

She don't know no lover,
None that I ever seen.
Yeah, to her that ain't nothing
But to me it means, means everything.

She paints her eyes as black as night now.
Pulls those shades down tight.
There's a smile when the pain comes.
Pain's gonna make everything alright.

Says she talks to angels.
They call her out by her name.
Oh yeah, she talks to angels.
Says they call her out by her name.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I had posted this song in the "Songs that make you shiver" but It should be in this thread instead.

I hope you Dance - Lee Ann Womack

This song was played at my Aunt's funeral and ever since then I hear it and think of her and miss her terribly. The message in it is sooo right on.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Songs don't make me cry.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The Riders of Rohan theme from TTT.
Hear You Me, by Jimmy Eat World.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth, especially the acoustic version.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finestraoscurata
Member # 5317

- posted      Profile for finestraoscurata   Email finestraoscurata         Edit/Delete Post 
On My Own from Les Miz
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurt - The Johnny Cash version. Though I think the video definitely contributed to that.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
qyscue, those lyrics are incredible. Wow.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Who Let the Dogs Out' makes me cry like a river.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hurt - The Johnny Cash version. Though I think the video definitely contributed to that."

Oh, my, I had forgotten. The first time I saw the video, I was sobbing, especially when June was standing on the stairs looking down on him. That was before she died, and now, all I have to do is think of her standing there, and I get all choked up.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Johnny Cash thread a week or two ago and had no idea what any of you were on about, but this week I've seen the video twice on TV. I haven't heard the other version, but I understand what everyone meant about this one. The obsessive banging accompaniment in certain parts gets me. I'm floored. I need to hear it again!
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long time since I've cried at music - maybe I've numbed myself with techno, or maybe I just haven't listened to country since high school. [Smile]

But, like Godric, I am a closet Garth Brooks fan. "The Dance" has always made me cry and it doesn't help that it was a favorite of a high school friend I had who died at a Rodeo. And he's got other tearjerkers among his hits, but there's a song on his Sevens album called "You Move Me" that is totally poignant. No, more than that - it's pungent. It starts out:

"This is how is seems to me;
Life is only therapy.
Real expensive, and
No guarantee.

So I lie here on the couch
With my heart hangin' out,
Frozen solid with fear
Like a rock in the ground."

I don't know why it gets me.

As far as rock, some songs sadden me, like (sorry it's so poppy) Madonna's "Frozen." And some can actually evoke tears like Everclear's "Wonderful" and "Father of Mine." And, for that matter, Pink's "Family Portrait," which my little sister played for me and I will never forgive her for.

Dire Straits's "Brothers in Arms" is up there, as is U2's "Peace on Earth," but only when I'm playing it acoustically and trying to sing and thinking about the words too much.

But the all-time saddest song, not just lyrically, but all together, is Billy Joel's "And So it Goes..." Oh, man.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foobonic
Member # 5149

- posted      Profile for foobonic           Edit/Delete Post 
Vanessa Carlton - "A Thousand Miles"
Posts: 40 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't really cry at most anything. My wife completely freaks out if my eyes even start to water. But the song that I find the most emotionally wrenching is "Space Dye Vest" by Dream Theater. Kevin Moore wrote some great stuff for them. Glad he is still collaborating with Fates Warning.

Oh, speaking of FW, "Still Remains" by them is pretty melancholy, as is the entire album "A Pleasant Shade of Gray".

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Kevin Moore, "Wait For Sleep" is pretty good, too. The most moving DT song, IMO, is "Lifting Shadows off a Dream", though.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few of mine. I usually don't cry, but I definitely get steamy-eyed:

Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

REM - Losing my Religion (I just found out what this song really is about a couple weeks ago. If I would have known it's true meaning at the beginning, I probably wouldn't have had much of a reaction, but Michael Stipes has such poetic talent that I just can't help but get emotional when I hear it)

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
now and forever
summer breeze
a little fall of rain (from les mis)
butterfly kisses

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snow
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for snow   Email snow         Edit/Delete Post 
Three men Hanging
get on with it, put off the fuss you chickensh*t
get on with it, can't you see its time to quit
i seen three men hanging from a sycamore
their bodies were stiff as a 2x4 and their
heads were tilted down towards the groud
and it aint been long since they been up there
that their bodies turned cold hangin in that air
and they mighta froze before that noose got to them

Old scracth has delt us a dirty hand he had the
look of a saint but the greed of a man and
his face a was worn and wrinkled like a leather boot
and if i put this revolver to my head will God
turn against me instead of taking pity on a brooken man
get on with it, put off the fuss you chickensh*t
get on with it, cant you see its time to quit
get on with it
get on with it

from Murder by Death (yea the name is terrible but they make good music, also note this is how the lyrics are printed for the most part, no capitalization, puncuation or much logical breakup)

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Angel Band from the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack (too lazy to get the cd case and find out the artist, sorry) because I was driving my dog to the airport at the time to send her off to a rescue in Texas. (Long story, she had bitten my son) It's generally a sad song anyway, but of course, circumstances heightened my natural weepiness. I'm a big crybaby.

Hurt as done by John Cash, for reasons mentioned before. That atonal plonking on the piano, giminy crickets, that gets me.

Etta James' Love's Been Rough on Me is terrifically sad, as well as her I'm Gonna Cry Like A Rainy Day. I have to say that Rainy Day will consistently move me to tears.

I'm glad someone mentioned Pink. I love Pink, and I can't wait to hear her new album. She's got such a great range (not her voice, but her musical choices). I think she has real staying power. Family Portrait doesn't move me as much as Don't Let Me Get Me though. I understand where she's coming from in that one.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned before (I hadn't listened to it when I first read this thread), "The Scientist" by Coldplay.

Also, "It's Not" by Aimee Mann is just really bittersweet and depressing and beautful. Gets me every time.

People are tricky
you can't afford to show
anything risky, anything they don't know.
The moment you try, well kiss it goodbye.

So baby kiss me like a drug like a respirator
and let me fall into the dream of the astrounaut
where I get lost in space that goes on forever
and you make all the rest just an afterthought
and I believe it's you who could make it better
but it's not. No it's not.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
All the songs that make me cry are completely sappy and stupid.
There's a country song called "Their Hearts are Dancing" - can't remember the artist, but it gets me every time because it reminds me of my parents (they're 3000 miles away and I miss them). It's a waltz:
"One two three, step two three, whenever they're waltzing,
He still counts out loud.
She's tried to teach him, but the rhythm doesn't reach him,
So they bounce through the crowd.
But oh, won't you look at them smiling, not worried if they're out of time.
He steps on her toes, she giggles and goes on,
Cause love is forgiving and kind.
Their hearts are dancing, to the love song that's played from the moment they met,
Their hearts are dancing, in time with a tune love won't ever forget."

See what I mean? It's deeply, deeply sappy, and it got me just writing the lyrics. Okay, I'm crying a lot lately, but that's ridiculous! A lot of the songs that get me are about mother/daughter relationships - Dolly Parton's "Coat of many colours" and Faith Hill's "You can't lose me," - both of those get my mum, too.

John Denver's "Leaving, on a jet plane" gets to me as well. I think that's down to circumstances, too - my boyfriend and I are doing the distance thing (only a couple of hours by train, so not jet-plane distance, but still hard when we're used to spending most of most days together.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.