FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Watching the Seinfeld episode with the self-abuse-abstinence contest (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Watching the Seinfeld episode with the self-abuse-abstinence contest
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course you do. Most people think they are the exception.
Is it really that hard to imagine that I'm the exception?
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Biologically? That your brain is somehow wired differently? That when they do studies to see the effects of television, the results don't apply to you?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina, I'm sure everyone else in the sample takes notes when they watch the West Wing, and has a binder of ideas inspired by watching the complete Sportsnight DVD.

[ August 05, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The prosecution is willing to stipulate that Irami is, indeed the exception. [Wink]

Good to see you back. [The Wave]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got into Seinfeld or The Simpsons like many of my friends. I do recognize their genius, but it isn't something I felt I needed to watch. I watch less and less TV nowadays, but there is plenty good still on...CSI, The West Wing, 24 and much more. The problem right now is all the reality show drivel. Nine-tenths of those shows are redundant, so the truly fun ones are hard to differentiate from the ones that are painful to watch (The Family? Is there a reason to show that AGAIN?).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I too had the experience of tv-withdrawal while in college, going from a per week amount that I won't even mention, to only two-four hours, max, a week (Seinfeld and X-Files Group Viewings, and a Football Game, Soccer Game, or Baseball Game usually once a week. I was not a part of the Simpsons group,I stopped watching that in '91 and only restarted in '98). I got along fine without it, in large part because I had no time for it anyway, and had other fun things to do.

Since graduating five years ago, I've taken to tv like a penguin to water, diving in and loving it all over again. There are definitely haters, and with good reason. CBS has not come up with one decent series other than CSI in a decade, ABC hasn't come up with an intelligent and crisp comedy since Roseanne premiered in the Fall of '88, and NBC created 30 comedic dog's for every Seinfeld classic it comes up with. Fox is the only consistent comedy producer supplying the simpsons, family guy, malcolm in the middle, and the like. Fox is also miles better than the other Big Three when it comes to creating unusual drama's, unfortunately they are quick with the axe, and tend to shoot themselves in the foot anytime they do come up with anything creative and interesting.

Anyway as bad as tv is, you can still see classics around, last year introduced the terrific Boomtown, and intriguing if inconsistent John Doe, and the return of Bernie Mac. 24, CSI, The Simpsons, Malcolm and the like are all quite interesting options, as are the Law and Order spin offs (at times) and a few other shows that slip my mind.

In the final analysis tv may pollute the mind, it may not stir brain function the way great literature, and intelligent conversation can, but great tv is still great art, and I for one find pleasure in great dramatic art, whether it's on my television, in the movie theatre, on the stage or on the page. I for one enjoy it, and I enjoyed Seinfeld nearly most of all (in terms of comedies).

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Irami, you may be an exception to the general populus, but not to writers.

Sure your particular interest is unique, but lots of writers make notes about odd things. This doesn't make a writer special, it just means they are doing their job.

Being a writer is not so very exceptional either. Otherwise it would be easy to get published. Writers are just people who have a talent with being able to write down stories, be they real or made up. We are a dime a dozen (or worth even less, since most writers don't even make a dime.)

Published writers whose books sell, now those are exceptional. But they aren't any more important or real or special than people who are fantastic mechanics, or excellent computer programmers.

[ August 05, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.