FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sights to Die for

Author Topic: Sights to Die for
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apocalyptic stories and movies are full of them.
Volcanos exploding. Comets hitting the Earth.
Tidal waves miles high marching inland.
Blood "as deep as a horse's bridle" and other horrifying visions in the Revaltion of St. John.
***SPOILER WARNING--Bear's the Forge of God has alien von Neumann devices (any mechanical device that can reproduce itself) destroying the Earth.
In the sequel, we get payback by destroying their entire planetary system, a sight to see I imagine.
END SPOILERS

Back to Earth:
A few weeks ago I jumped in my truck and raced off to try to see a tornado that touched down less than 10 miles away in Atlanta.
I think it was an F1 or F2 intensity tornado.
It moved away too fast and I was too late and on the wrong side of the storm to see anything. [Frown] [Frown]
I love tornados and would take a big risk too see one up close.
What would you take a big risk to see?
Or a little one?
Or what would be cool to see as your "last sight"
(something dramatic, mushyness is forboten!)
I guess for me it would be a comet or meteor hitting the Earth or moon, any good tidal wave or a tornado.

[ August 04, 2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had a sick fascination with tidal waves. I want to see one, but I don't want anyone to get hurt.
Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Yes, of course. i wouldn't want anyone to be hurt from a tornado I saw either.
But nothing I could do could prevent that tornado from invading a neighborhood.
It's morally neutral, in other words.
I just want to see at least one in my lifetime.
And giant waves have an awesome power and majesty, those 35'+ waves in Hawaii are awe-inspiring.

Edit: OK, 20'+ waves

[ August 04, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deidra
Member # 5455

- posted      Profile for Deidra   Email Deidra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am from Hawaii and I have never seen a 35+ foot wave or heard anyone here claim to have seen one, but if one ever comes around I would like to see it.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wikkid
Member # 5364

- posted      Profile for Wikkid   Email Wikkid         Edit/Delete Post 
Tornados are amazing and i do enjoy watching them roll through open land, as for things i would die to see one would have to be the mythical pandora's box i would love to see inside it, or a zepher, but the list goes on and on, i don't feel like listing them all.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
The pheonix asteroids. [Wink]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love watching lightning. And I don't get worried at all (well, until they strike so close to me that I can feel them before I see/hear them [Wink] ).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
"Jaws" on Maui's north shore typically has waves in excess of 30 ft.

http://maui2000.com/Jaws/crw_5724a.htm

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a tornado (as in, it physically lifted the back end of my car as it passed to my right), does that count?

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid, working on a construction site with my dad, I went to put a water hose back between two boards that were laying on the slope. The slope was grassy and wet and the boards were to keep cement trucks from crushing the hose as they delivered loads of concrete for the footers we were pouring that day.

I heard a shout from my Dad as I put the hose back in its safe nestle and looked up to see a concrete mixer truck that had just passed sliding back down the slope at me. I remember seeing the tires spinning, stuttering, catching, spinning and sliding, the sound of the engine roaring as the driver gave it the gas, my Dad continuing to yell (the timber of his voice turning to sawdust) and the look in the sideview mirror of the driver's eyes as he fought to get control.

I wish I could say I thought to dive or roll, but I didn't have time to think. It felt like I was paralyzed for an eternity there and as I finally got it in gear and moved, the truck came to a stop.

That was the closest I believe I ever got to seeing the end of my world. We went back to work after my Dad got back from his truck. He needed some time to himself after that, and as I grow older and get ready to have kids of my own, I think I know why.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Yes, isn't weird the way adrenline and whatever other effects imprint every detail in your memory when witnessing traumatic events.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My father was stationed in Fort Knox, and we lived in a small town a few miles from Brandenburg, Kentucky when it was flattenned by an F5 tornado. I was five or six, and fairly unperturbed about it, even when my favorite tree, a huge oak that two grown-ups coulsn't wrap their arms around, broke the front door.

See, one of the girls next door was visiting my sister, and the other one saw the tree swaying. Oaks that big... well, they don't usually sway .

She was knocking on the door. I went to answer it just as the tree wrapped over our house breaking the storm door. The girl wasn't hurt-- she saw it coming and got out of the way.

This never bothered me, but my older sister litterlly couldn't watch the Wizard of Oz until she was in her 20s. She had nightmares. I guess she was 12 or 13 when it happened.

Ron and I took her and her husband to see Twister in the theater. I had forgotten about her tornado trauma. She only ran to the bathroom to throw up twice. I felt rather bad [Blushing] about that.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Once when I was working at a retail store a major storm moved in. There was lightening and hail and tornadoes sprouted around town.

The entire staff stood in behind the giant windows and watched the wind pick things up and throw them around.

Only later did we all agree--We were freakin STUPID!!!!!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, if you want to see tornados take a vacation to Oklahoma for three weeks in May. You are bound to be able to see at least one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the timber of his voice turning to sawdust
Sopwith, that's a great turn of phrase!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank ya! [Big Grin]
Now and then, one just spills out the right way.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"if you want to see tornados take a vacation to Oklahoma for three weeks in May. You are bound to be able to see at least one"

As the resident Oklahoman (Okie) I can certainly verify that this is true. Very, very true, especially in the west-central and northernmost parts of the state. We had no fewer than 7 tornadoes in the counties surrounding us last May. [Angst]

Now, don't you all wish you lived here with me? [Taunt]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Sights To Die For
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*dies*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

AJ and Boon, I lived in OKC,OK from 74 to 81 and never saw one.
I could only drive the last year, though. [Grumble]
There's no way Mom would have carted me to see a tornado. She worked for the FAA and knew how deadly they can be. [Angst]

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo:
quote:
Bear's the Forge of God has alien von Neumann devices (any mechanical device that can reproduce itself) destroying the Earth.
In the sequel, we get payback by destroying their entire planetary system, a sight to see I imagine.

HELLO, spoiler warning?! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"AJ and Boon, I lived in OKC,OK from 74 to 81 and never saw one."

[Taunt] On a friday night in September 1991, I was watching a high school football game in Washita County, Oklahoma. In the distance, beyond the field, you could see four funnels stretching their dark fingers down to the ground. They were only about 25 miles away. [Eek!]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a little late now, but in addition to OKC you should hang out around Lubbock some. The 10th floor of the Architecture building is a lovely place to watch storms from, and possibly (just possibly) catch a pretty good glimpse of a tornado. I've seen a few in my 5 years here, without actually meaning to. They're just... there.

I like to imagine it's pleasant to watch them around here, because the only likely debris they're tossing around is fences, barns, and perhaps the odd cow. It's rarely enough houses, cars and, worst of all, people.

I don't think I would mind being very close to a waterspout, but I think I'll pass on being any closer to tornadoes than I already have been.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Who is going to live in a tornado-free environment.

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoia
Member # 5417

- posted      Profile for Zoia   Email Zoia         Edit/Delete Post 
A six foot shark passed literally right by me in the water. That was exciting to say the least. [Big Grin]

[ August 03, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Zoia ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Some interesting posts, just as I'd hoped.
Ae, I edited some spoiler warnings. But I was very general and I thought it was covered on the book jackets. I could be wrong.
Boon, I would have loved to have seen those four tornados.
Mauibabe, thanks for the link to a great picture of "Jaws." That would make a great poster. [Big Grin]
Feyd, that's really what I'd like: a good view of a tornado from an ideal viewing platform.
Zoia, that reminds me why I never SCUBA'ed.
I would have made the water a little warmer near me. [Blushing]

[ August 04, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.