FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thanksgiving Rescue Thread

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Rescue Thread
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a cheery idea.

I think all the hatrackers that don't have anywhere else to go should have a Thanksgiving get-together. Well, if you DO have a place to go, you can cancel those plans if you wish to give thanks with your fellow rackers.

Would there be any interest at all in a big Hatrack Thanksgiving bash? (Preferrably somewhere in the midwest -- hey, my place could be cool [Wink] )

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.... I like that... [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be able to join the celebration.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
*goes to buy Turkey*

mmmm.... turkey....

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

We need some cooks, though. It would be fun to spend the whole day cooking food in preparation. Are there any loner Hatrackers (or non-family participant Hatrackers) other than Bob and me that would like to have our own little "family get-together"?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I'll be at the Y, but I sort of planned on spending Thanksgiving with my aunt and uncle in Logan.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I do a family thing in Atlanta at that time.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Our plan is to have about a two-week-old at that time, so we probably won't want to travel.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

There are OTHER hospitals besides the Brigham Young one. [Big Grin]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
PM: So you'll have your own Butterball™

[Big Grin]

By the way, I recommend buying everything pre-cooked from the local grocers or a good barbeque place.

YUMMY and a lot less work.

[ August 01, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Caleb, I will take next year at my house. I love to have Thanksgiving and I didn't get to have it at all last year since I was out of town for work.

I don't think I can make it up to your place for this year's bash, unfortunately. I will have to take a miss on that. It's a great idea, though, and I'm really glad you thought of it. Maybe it will be the start of a hatrack tradition.

So please mark your calendars for ak's house (the last hatrack homely house) for Thanksgiving 2004.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Brigham Young one? Are you under the impression that I'm from/in Utah?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Menu for 2004 at ak's: Party starts at 1 pm CST.

Appetizers:
Cheese balls with variety of crackers.
French Onion dip with variety of chips.
Spicy Cheese dip with tortilla chips.
Mixed nuts.

Main Meal:
Turkey
Ham
Dressing
Rice Casserole
Broccoli
Green Bean Casserole
Squash and Onions
Zucchini and Tomatoes
Rolls

Dessert:
Chocolate Cream Pie
3 Layer yellow cake from scratch with chocolate icing
Ice cream in a variety of flavors

If anyone has any special requests, I'll try to work them in.

[ August 01, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Yeah, actually, I was under that impression. I seem to remember you living close by during Endercon. Apologies for my misconception!

*feels like newbie again, revels in it*

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
*burninates Caleb*
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. There are some who think Pop is from Utah?

[Eek!]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Pointing and laughing isn't necessary...
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Barring any extreme family situations that would require my presence for Thanksgiving '04, count me in on aka's dinner party.
ak
Member # 90

Yay! [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Me after overdosing on tryptophan [Sleep]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it isn't in the midwest, but LosCon takes place in Burbank, CA over the weekend of Thanksgiving. I think (since I will likely be there, anyway) that would be a wonderful place for a Hatrack get-together. After all, it is a science fiction convention geared toward writers and artists. I think most of us would have a good time there. I know I always do.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

California is RIGHT OUT!

Isn't there anyone here who could use some extra family on Thanksgiving?

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
We're crazy out here, yeah, I'll give you that.

And a nutzo economy too! And people are talking about the Terminator for Govenor! Not to mention all of the stupid state legislators that can't get together to pass a budget in time to save lives. Literally.

But California is...

Well, actually Caleb, I see your point!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, store bought food?!? [No No]

Obviously, you've never eaten my Thanksgiving dinner. [Wink]

Sacrilege, I tell you, that store bought food. [Taunt]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I will likely be doing nothing for thanksgiving (like last year). I have no idea where I will be at the time though, or what I'll be doing.

So count me as a probably [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Caleb, count me in. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! [No No]

California is a crazy state. But it is my crazy state, and I love it. I might have to leave someday, because of the economy, but I won't like to leave, bad economy, insane politics, lunatic cults, and all.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
Caleb, where do you live? Anywhere close to Ames, Iowa? Cuz I could maybe stop by if it were close, but otherwise, not. Because it will be right after my sister's baby, but ak, definitely considering the 2004 one. I really would come this year, but I must see my first neice!
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fantastic cook. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not going anywhere else, I'm in, since I live in Missouri and all that.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Thanksgiving '03 Attendee List:

Caleb Varns (host)
Bob Scopatz (entertainment)
Posable Man (psychiatric needs)
Kayla & Family (music) Okay, so she didn't sign up, but she'll have to come by if so many of us are in town.
Xavier (goto guy)
Mackillian (prayers and ceremonial rites)
flyby (token Iowegan)
Fugu13 (photographer)
Tabithecat (goto girl) another non-signup, but this one will definitely be coming if she's in town

Great. With a roster like this I can be confident in planning the weekend. I'm also interested in providing a Thanksgiving celebration for perhaps a few other aquaintances of mine that are sans family this year. Obviously this should also apply to any other attendees; the more the merrier! Cooking responsibilities will have to be hashed out at a later date, as I am fully incapable of planning kitchen duties in advance.

Hmm... we'll have to watch the football game, won't we?

For those who aren't aware, I am located at the exact center of the United States (eat your heart out, Thor): downtown Kansas City, Missouri. That's about a four hour drive from Ames Iowa, Fugu.

One reason for bumping this thread is to facilitate further planning of the event. Another reason is for those who haven't seen the thread yet to have an opportunity to invite themselves along to the party. We only have a few months to set this up, so let's get started.

Caleb Varns
Member # 946

*shouts*

Hey, KarlEd! Are you here? Do you want to come over for Thanksgiving?

Caleb Varns
Member # 946

*afternoon bump*
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm "entertainment" eh? So, does that mean I should work up a comedy routine, or are you all just going to wait until I fall asleep and then write all over me with Magic Markers?

[Razz]

tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
it will more likely be finger paint Bob [Wink]
Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Yeah, fingerpainting would be nice. However I think we would all really enjoy watching you make one of your brilliantly witty posts. And you could follow that act with a little karaoke bit.

A Cappela, of course.

mackillian
Member # 586

rites and prayers? are we starting a cult? o_O
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Not unless you want to babe, it's your job!

I was just tossing out duties for no reason, really.

tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
oh how exciting a new cult...so much to do.
[The Wave]
let me know if I can help

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn my loving family!! It'd be cool to do Thanksgiving with youse guys, unfortunately, I have the darn family...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

I have one, too, but I think I can get out of it when I tell them I'm hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for a bunch of folks who had nowhere else to go. [Smile]

We definitely need an eating smiley. Maybe an eating smiley that looks like a lizard, too...

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
And an angel smilie and maybe a praying smilie. I'm thinking like those little Precious Moments figurines with the little kids that pray.

But I for one am in constant need of an angel smilie. Otherwise, no would understand what an angel I am.

[ROFL]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Kayla, your horns are holding up that halo all crooked-like. o_O

Caleb, I will happily cook the foods. I live alone and don't get to cook for others anymore. [Frown]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay...figuring this out...

Thanksgiving is on the 27th this year, right?

And I need to get to KC, Missouri...

going off to mapquest. BAck in a few...

ak
Member # 90

Just a note that Thanksgiving 2004 will be contingent on me being in the country then. [Smile] Will update as the time approaches.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This is so cool!!! KC is only 12 or so hours from College Station, TX!!!

I'm within driving distance of Caleb Varns' estate!!!

Wow

[Party]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...this is only a few days before my Anniversary. Since Hubby started his new job today (yay!!) I doubt he'll have Thanksgiving off, but he will for sure have our Anniversary off...so our plan was to have our family Thanksgiving a few days late. Can I come? I'm a great cook. I'll even help with dishes...pwetty pweese?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so tempted to blow some savings money on a plane ticket...

I'll keep you updated as to how well my responsible frugal self holds out. When she cracks, I'll start making travel plans.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

So is this happening, Caleb? The folks that have to fly will need to book tickets, soon. And know where to fly into, dates, etc etc etc.

Well?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.