FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » at least a little weird

Author Topic: at least a little weird
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm generally a very shy person, so I don't usually ask out girls I've just met. In fact I've only done so twice, once over a year ago, she turned out to be hostes at a restaurant, her name was Katt. The other time was today, she is a hostess at a different restaurant, and it turned out her name is Cat. I'm fairly sure it is a different girl since they spell their names differently, but still I think it is at least a little weird, or is it just me?
Also is it a bad omen if you ask out a girl with the same name and job as a girl who broke up with you?

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, just means you're a cat (kat) lover.

I feel it's important to mention to stay away from any Qat's you might encounter. They're intoxicating.

Have fun on your date. Don't forget the saucer of milk. And no catnip on the first date, young man!!!

[No No]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Darn and I had all that left over Katnip, oh well it probably wouldn't work on a Cat.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
You're only pretty sure it's not the same girl?!?

[ August 03, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they look alike?
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Who can tell with all that fur?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

- posted      Profile for EllenM           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Actually yes, they do look alot alike, same hair color, hair worn basically the same way, both have braces, and they are about the same height and build. So the name is the only thing I'm basing the theory that they are different people on. Well that and the fact that Cat didn't mention already knowing me, and I think Katt might have mentioned it if it were her.
Oh, and they have the same taste in music.
but they look different to you right?
[Dont Know] Me
[Smile] Katt? (maybe)
[Wink] Cat? (I think)

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Marek, just don't call the new one by the old one's name! That'd be embarassing. [Razz]
Marek
Member # 5404

Maybe I could convince her to wear a name tag to avoid that mistake.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*scratch scratch*
Reasonably sure?

I guess you don't spend too much time looking at her face, do you Marek? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

*fits of giggles* Wheat, just what are you implying he does look at?
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

WheatPuppet I never said I was reasonably sure they are different girls I said I was "fairly sure" they are different girls, don't give me more credit than I diserve.
quote:
I guess you don't spend too much time looking at her face, do you Marek?
No, [Blushing] or rather I haven't spent too much time looking at her face, as I said I just met her today, and the restaurant she works at was not overly well lit, and she was working at the time so I didn't spend any vast amount of time with her.
Also it has been about a year since the last time I have seen Katt, a person can change a great deal in a year.
And to EllenM, I know you asked Wheat but I'll try to answer this one, if you had met Cat there would be no need to ask what I might be looking at [Cool] , who ever sculpted her body was quite the artist indeed. Still I have seen enough of her face to know that she has a beautiful smile, I was going to compare to some sight in nature but I can't think of one which lives up to the compareson, so I will leave it with she has a beautiful smile.

Marek
Member # 5404

[Confused] Wait if Cat is so great then why would she go out with me? [Dont Know] I guess the place's lighting worse than I noticed.
(and I'm not saying which restaurant either girl works or worked at just in case either is part of hatrack, and if anyone here is a girl named Cat who got asked out while at work today, um hi)

[ August 03, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, a disproportionate number of sassy, attractive, and approachable waitresses are named Catherine (or Katherine, or some other variation thereof). A truly surprising percentage of these call themselves "Cat," and wear a lot of black.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Okay, I have to admit that the thing about wearing alot of black surbrised me, I didn't think I mentioned either of them wearing a lot of black, but Cat was wearing all black, and Kat wore mostly black. How did you know that Tom? Or is it so common among girls named Cat/Kat that it was simply a given?
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Tom is wise in the ways of these things that puzzle you so, grasshopper.

[Evil]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

Merek, what kind of a smile is it? One that: is a sweet hello, calms your nerves, lets you know she's glad to see you, illuminates a room, or warms your heart and/or neither regions? [Blushing]
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's because Tom spent way too much time hanging around cafes in his younger days. [Wink]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That was you?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Never let a black (clad) cat/kat cross your path.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here are some other things, again based on my experience, that you can assume about waitresses named "Cat:"

1) They're English or Psych majors, and have taken at least one year off from college.

2) They like spiky silver rings, bracelets, and eyeshadow.

3) They're very conflicted about their fathers.

4) Around a third of them were previously raped by someone in the family -- but not their father. They've never told anyone in the family, but all their friends know.

5) Their best friend is likely to be a homosexual man or strange, bouncy emo fiend (or both, simultaneously).

6) They were cheerleaders for one or two years in high school, but are vocal in their disdain for cheerleaders nowadays.

7) They drink coffee and vodka almost exclusively -- both straight -- and hate to drink either alone.

8) They are strongly and powerfully moved by faith, and are drawn to religions with a sense of the traditional, but are rarely devout in practice.

9) They do not cry at movies, but care deeply about college radio -- perhaps even to the extent of hosting a late-night show or something.

10) At one point, they bought a compilation of Andrew Lloyd Webber tunes.

[ August 04, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't let the two women meet. You'd have one heck of a cat fight on your hands.

ps. Good Luck.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Answering various posts:
EllenM, Her smile is more of a sweet hello or lets you know she's glad to see you, which is part of why it is hard to compare to something, I know of no such sites.

Bob_Scopatz
quote:
Never let a black (clad) cat/kat cross your path.
Actually Bob In my experience the bad luck comes when a black (clad) Cat/Kat decides she no longer wishes to cross your path.
Oh and TomDavidson, I'm glad to see that you don't actually know either of the girls I've mentioned, although it does sound like you may have met a girl I went to school with. Also Cat is not a waitress.
And Dan, I had a feeling the cat fight joke was coming eventually but it was still funny [ROFL] I don't think Katt would be all that anxiouse to fight over me, she dumbed me a while ago. I think she would apreciate the pun though, when I met her family I was referred to as "what the cat dragged in." Also my tendency for picking girls with this name does put a new spin on the phrase "cat got your tongue". [Cool]
And last but not least Katharina I'm unsure if your "that was you?" referres to me, or to Tom, but if you meant me, it might have been, where do you work? this was in Kentucky, so that may give you some idea if it was me. Are you basing the idea that I was the one who asked you out at work soley on you having been asked out the same day? I only ask because if you fit my poor description of her, than I imagine your being asked out is hardly rare. In any case if I haven't met you yet it seems that with my tendency to meat girls who go by some variation of cat, I may be likely to meat you eventually.

[ August 04, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
1) They're English or Psych majors, and have taken at least one year off from college.
Check

2) They like spiky silver rings, bracelets, and eyeshadow.
Nope

3) They're very conflicted about their fathers.
Who isn't?

4) Around a third of them were previously raped by someone in the family -- but not their father. They've never told anyone in the family, but all their friends know.
Nope

5) Their best friend is likely to be a homosexual man or strange, bouncy emo fiend (or both, simultaneously).
Nope, but it is Anthonie.

6) They were cheerleaders for one or two years in high school, but are vocal in their disdain for cheerleaders nowadays.
*snort* No.

7) They drink coffee and vodka almost exclusively -- both straight -- and hate to drink either alone.
Nope. Not a good trend.

8) They are strongly and powerfully moved by faith, and are drawn to religions with a sense of the traditional, but are rarely devout in practice.
I resent that.

9) They do not cry at movies, but care deeply about college radio -- perhaps even to the extent of hosting a late-night show or something.
No. And this started out so well.

10) At one point, they bought a compilation of Andrew Lloyd Webber tunes.
DingDingDing! Now this I have done.

[ August 04, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

Wait..so you asked one of those Cat's out because they ewre pretty or something? If you knew at least one of them then you could tell the difference but....nvm... [Confused]
Marek
Member # 5404

No I did not ask either girl out because they were pretty. I asked them out because they each did something which an incredibly small number ofgirls have done, they showed interest in me. In the case of the first girl Katt, this took a while for me to catch, but I eventually did realize she might like me, so I asked her out. In the case of Cat, I thaught she was just talking to me sort of at random, my sister then pointed out that the girl probably was trying to let me know she was at least a little interested in me, I am way too dense and too low on self esteem to think of that on my own, any way I followed my sister's advice and asked her out. It just happens that both of them are exceptionally pretty.

[ August 04, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

Is it safe for me to say you might be a player???
[Dont Know]

Penguinevere
Member # 5167

- posted      Profile for Penguinevere   Email Penguinevere         Edit/Delete Post 
i have a friend named Cat that works as a hostess in a restaurant that also wears black (not just on the job, though of course most girls is restaurants are wearing black) and fits a fairish percent of the tom-list criteria.
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
I am way too dense and too low on self esteem to think of that on my own.
Hey, are you me?
Marek
Member # 5404

I don't think I'm you Bob, *checks license, and looks in a mirror* nope I'm me. Besides you seem like an okay person, you really shouldn't put yourself down like that. [No No]
Marek
Member # 5404

[ROFL] [ROFL]
Me a player?
[ROFL] [ROFL]
Maethoriell that was a good one, for a second I thaught you were serious. And if you were serious then I'm sorry for layghing at the comment, but if you knew me and you heard someone call me a player you'd be rolling too.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm so slow on the uptake of female "signals" that most of the time the woman is married and has a family before I realize she was once interested in me.
Marek
Member # 5404

I have only had that happen to me once, but to be fair I am only 18. Still I mostly don't have to worry about figuring out if a woman is interested in me, so few of the women I meet have sight that bad.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
In general, I don't recommend dating women who work in the hospitality industry because, in my own completely subjective experience:

A)They get hit on a lot. While this doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't nice girls, it does up the odds considerably that they will acquire fun, new friends on a regular basis.

and

B)They are often party godzillas. Again, this doesn't mean they can't be the future spouse. However, it does make things a little more dicey.

Now. If those two points sound like good things rather than bad things, hop on board, buckaroo. But don't say your Uncle Saxon didn't warn you. [Smile]

ps Before all you ex-waitresses/servers post indignant protestations about the purity and/or scruples of resteraunt staff, please note that I did say 'in my subjective experience'. Also, please note that I might be engaging in a wee bit o' hyperbole. Possibly. [Wink]

[ August 04, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Funny, those are the same reasons I've heard for not marrying strippers or prostitutes.

No slam on all you waitresses out there.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, my marriage to an ex-waitress seems to be working out pretty nicely, so far.

Just another thought from your Uncle saxon. [Smile]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

O.K. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Storm Saxon, thanks for the warning, and while in my experience women in the hospitality industry do tend to get hit on a lot,(infact one girl I knew, who was a sophomore at the time, said she got hit on at least twice a day) that usually just means they are quite good at tactfully saying go to hell.
That is part of why I try not to take it personally when women in the hospitality industry are nice, but I figure my sister may know something about the "signals" Bob spoke of. But hey this is all based on my own completely subjective experience.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, it goes without saying that, as far as you're concerned, your subjective experience trumps mine. (I'm not being snarky, just stating the obvious.)

(Edited because I wasn't sure if I was going too far.)

[ August 04, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
saxon - Juliette's beauty overpowered your reason. Everybody knows not to marry ex-waitresses.

I mean, did you see how she was all over me at the top of the waterslide?

(Stupid being named "Toni". There's no cool stereotypes involving eyeshadow and independent radio stations for us.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I should have taken the camera up those stairs! ARGH!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Everybody knows not to marry ex-waitresses.

Well, come on now. It's o.k. to date or marry them *after* they're out of the restaurant bidness. You just need to keep a close eye on them for a while to make sure they've really left the scene.

If they haven't, be aware that there are many 'restaurant people' who have been succesfully deprogrammed by psychiatric professionals and, subsequently, are capable of living productive lives.

[Taunt]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Funny, those are the same reasons I've heard for not marrying strippers or prostitutes.

That's a different hospitality industry, Bob.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Better be safe than sorry, Stormy, and only marry people who have done nothing but sat on their butts at their computers all day.

Like us.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Go us! [Cool]
Marek
Member # 5404

Sorry to take up so much valuable space on Hatrack with my petty bragging, but I got a phone call today from Cat, and in just two minutes(I know because I was on a cell phone and it tells how long each call was) it proved me right so many times.

quote:
Wait if Cat is so great then why would she go out with me?
It turns out she wouldn't.
quote:
In my experience the bad luck comes when a black (clad) Cat/Kat decides she no longer wishes to cross your path.
I certainly don't feel lucky
quote:
I thaught she was just talking to me sort of at random
Yeah, she was, my sister was wrong, hey that is a first.
quote:
they are quite good at tactfully saying go to hell.

yep, she was so sweet, it is the nicest way I have ever been told that a girl never wants to hear from me again.

wooohoooo, i am so brilliant

This just proves that (at least around here) girls named Cat/Kat who work as hostesses;
Get hit on alot,
Are pretty,
Are sweet and kind,
Are way out of my league,
And are well aware of it.

P.S. sorry for my self pittying rant, I realize there are people here with real problems, and my heart ache is nothing in comparison, but right now, to me it is an all consuming pain, I had to turn somewhere, and this is where I chose.

P.P.S. I hope none of my spelling grammar and puntuation errors are to painful to those who read through this, I didn't really proof read.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Marek))))) Sympathy!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.