Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ty OSC

Author Topic: Ty OSC
hal9000
Member # 5491

- posted      Profile for hal9000   Email hal9000         Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently finished all four of Ender's Quartet and Enders Shadow. Soon to start reading the other two books (Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets) I just wanna express my feelings on his books.

I started reading the first book; Enders Game, in 10th grade. I only found out about the book by my teacher making the whole class go out and buy the book and read it to take a test on and to discuss about. I bought the book in the following days. And starting reading it the first day I got it, then finished after the third night. I was so impressed of how OSC used human emotions and feelings and no feelings in a book, that could express so much. It was mind boggling. Soon after I slowly but surely read his other books.

Now im here writing this post at 12 past nightime on the verge of entering my final year in high school. I just want to say that his Enders books brought so much to me, when I felt like ending my life. When I felt that I was useless in this world, I could read his book and understand and think more about life than I ever could. His books made me think more about others than about myself. His books made me 2nd guess myself than thinking Im always right. So Thank you OSC for writing these books. You are such an inspiration to many, and I hope you continue to write such profounding books.

Side note: I wrote this in another topic
Response: Tell me how OSC book's or book have affected your life in some way or another. In my case it has! ty and goodbye

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

*snicker*

Well, the feminist city in the beginning of the Homecoming series sort of got me thinking. I thought, "Cool, but women are evil-er than that." I thought it might be fun to write about a feminist society that was as screwwed up as, say, the Taliban.

This idea has consumed much of my non-parenting time(approximately the 45 min or so that my brain is still useful after the kids have been taped-- I mean TUCKED-- in their beds) for the last 8 months, and I'm only now struggling through the end of chapter six.

*leaves Hatrack to continue metaphorically rolling her huge boulder up that darned hill*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet - You're now on chapter 6? I wanna read 4 and 5 *whine* [Cry]

The biggest reason I like OSC's books because they force me to think about reality and different concepts in ways I'd never thought before (Homecoming series, Ender series, Wyrms, Lost Boys, Enchantment, etc.).

[ August 04, 2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought this thread was about Slashy!

Nevermind. [Laugh]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ludosti, I thought I sent 'em to ya...

Maybe I did, and they were just forgettable, or maybe I didn't.

In either case, check your inbox. [Blushing]

Kayla, I thought that , too.

Also, Sarah was the first novel based on a Biblical character that I have bought since I met Ron. That HAS to mean something... But I dunno what.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've learned the most from the relationships in Card's novels. (Step and DeAnne, Ivan and Katerina, Ender and Valentine, Bean and Petra, Bean and Peter, Peter and his parents, Novinha and her children, Moses and his 'mother', Lovelock and Carol Jeanne, Red and his parents, Alvin and Peggy etc...)

The dialogue is so real to me. It seems like what people would really say! It seems like what I might say. Sometimes his characters recognize what they're feeling and admit it to their friends, spouses, families...and sometimes they don't recognize it or even admit it to themselves. But WE can usually recognize it.

Card's characters give me courage to recognize what I'm feeling and admit it to myself. This always helps put things in perspective in my life and I am so much more comfortable with ME when I do this. I've learned a lot from everyone in his novels. They help me see myself how a reader of a novel might see me...unable to hide anything. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! I thought someone was outing OSC, that he's been posting as Slash the Berzerker!

[Eek!]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy has always been by favorite genre of book. I think that GOOD fantasy is incredibly hard to write. I have tried many times and failed. To be a good fantasy writer, one has to be able to create a completely different world, where different things are possible, and make it believable to the reader. OSC has always been able to do that. Even if I don't like the story, OSC's world's have always been believable. Every little detail is thought out and makes sense in that world.

I think my brother got me into OSC. He told me that I HAD to read EG. So I did. And I loved it. It was a fantasy story about kids, but not your typical teenagers. Not the obnoxious smart ass teenagers outwitting their stpuid parents. These kids, although incredibly smart and in a foreign setting, were believable to me, with real feelings and real problems (although maybe not ones I would encounter).

So, I think that my favorite part about OSC and his books are that the characters are real people...not fake sterotypes, and the worlds are complete, not hazy half-thought-out settings

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Me too! I thought someone was outing OSC, that he's been posting as Slash the Berzerker!

[Eek!]

No way.

OSC likes me way better than Slash ever has. [Razz]

hal - Welcome. OSC's books haven't exactly change my life, but Hatrack has had no little amount of influence over the way I think and judge people (which seems a pretty major thing to me). Since Hatrack exists because of it's owner, then I guess he has changed my life to some extent. [Smile]

[ August 04, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC gave me life!
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, an antique.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't get me.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.