FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Exercise Questions...

Author Topic: Exercise Questions...
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided (again) that it is time to continue my weight loss quest. I purchased a heart rate monitor so that I can work out efficiently by keeping my heart rate in the target zone (for me between 136 and 185). I get up at 6am and walk 2.5 miles in about 30 minutes and that includes stretching before my two cool down laps. For three weeks (4-5 times a week) this has been going fairly well.

Here are my problems: Yesterday and this morning my shins hurt when I would walk (I don't run) at a pace that elevated my heart rate to the LOW end of my target range. Not like shin splints...just an ache that really made me want to slow down. But then my heart rate would fall too much. Is there something I can do to relieve the ache like shorten my stride or something? Or, do I just have to walk through the pain?

Next, I haven't lost any weight. It's rather discouraging. I'm eating less (and better food) and drinking plenty of water. Is this normal.

I guess I need support and encouragement. This is about the time I give up if I don't see results and I really want to be healthy...

[ August 05, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: aretee ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you do any kind of weight training? That can make all the difference in terms of getting the fat off, in my experience. If you haven't already, get a set of hand weights and spend 15 minutes or so using them after your aerobic workout.

I'm not sure why your shins are hurting, but it might be useful to switch to a different form of aerobic exercise, if that's an option. Is there anywhere nearby that you could swim laps?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
-Don't eat 2-3 hours before bedtime.

-STRETCH!!!!! Both before AND after your walks!

Even for walking. My shins have been notoriously bad since high school cross-country (please note, I was the worse runner on the team, by far, not competitive at all, so don't take me for an athlete [Smile] ).

And stretch upper and lower body. You don't realize it, but your upper body does get a bit of a workout from long walks/jogs/runs.

For the shins specifically, I do the following stretch:

1) get into a pushup stance on the ground.
2) keep arms under shoulders, and straight, not bent
3) lift butt into the air
4) Now bend back on the balls of your feet, as if you are trying to touch your heels to the floor. Once you feel the stretch in your lower leg, hold for 10-12 seconds.
5) To focus on just one leg (which is good to combat favoring a particular leg in the previous stretch) do steps 1)-3), and then before 4), cross one leg over the other. Do step 4), then swith to do the other leg.

I have done this stretch for years; without it, my shins can kill after a couple miles of walking... With it, I can hike 10-15 miles, with no soreness.

A couple summers ago, I went from 205 to 175 (nearly my ideal weight), by running 2 miles two out of three days, cutting done on sodas and stuff, and not eating a few hours before sleep. I lost this all in 3 months, which is a healthy pace to lose it, IMO.

-Bok

EDIT: Here is another, more common, shin exercise: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/getfit/stretchflx/qas/0,9582,256_159480,00.ht ml

I like mine, which was proscribed by my high school trainer, who is now the Boston Red Sox head trainer. But this one works well too, from everyone I've talked to.

[ August 05, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Also I'm not sure how you're judging if you've lost weight. Usually measuring your waist line and other areas is a much more effective way of tracking progress. Muscle weighs more than fat so you might actually gain weight for a while if you are toning up your muscles.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of shoes are you wearing? Sometimes a new pair of shoes makes all the difference. The padding can get squashed down even if the shoe doesn't look like it is worn out.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillarygayle
Member # 4624

- posted      Profile for hillarygayle   Email hillarygayle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Sometimes you actually get smaller, but don't lose any weight re: the scale.

I'm a Weight Watchers member, and I can honestly recommend the program. It's a great way to make absolutely certain that what you're eating is the best thing for you. Very simple plan, and the cheapest weight loss program I've found. I tried doing it on my own, and made marginal progress, but this gives me structure & makes it easier. I've lost 30 lbs since September.

Also, Dance Dance Revolution video game. Addictive exercise.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the shoes. When my shins start to hurt I know it's time for new shoes.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

Wow, thanks for rapid response.

Shoes: I have a brand new pair of New Balance 602. They fit well. I tried on a number of styles before I decided on that one. I don't think it's the shoes.

Stretches: I do that stretch you suggested. I stretch a bit before I start, and I was stretching more after the second mile. When I shins started hurting, I stretched after the first mile, finished the second (trying to keep the heart rate up) and cooled down. It helped a little. I guess I am concerned that I am hurting myself.

Weight Watchers: I went for a year...and did pretty well. It's too expensive. I am flat broke right now. I joined TOPS, which is a cheap version of WW, and that helped, too. But, right now I can't afford a support group.

Measuring and Weighing: I haven't taken my measurements. That is a good idea. I do know taht muscle weighs more than fat...but I guess I didn't consider that walking would build much muscle. I have alway been heavy, but my legs have always been well toned. My weight distribution is a little odd. (It's all in belly #2; the lower one. [Big Grin] )

Weight Training: I have a very hard time motivating myself to workout for the sake of working out. I've tried weight training, but I can't get into it. I've decided that I hate running and jogging, but I enjoy walking.

I listen to a CD that helps me keep a steady beat (so many years of marching band!) and then I can think. I'm getting to the point where I don't mind getting up in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), but I fear the shin pain will turn my off to it.

I appreciate the help guys... [Smile]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried walking backward for awhile. I know it sounds crazy, but when I used to jog and my shins would hurt, I would walk around the track backward for about a lap.

I don't know why that helped me, but it did. And the other joggers were laughing so hard; I am sure that it brightened their day.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

You know, I thought of that...but I was too afraid of the scorn. I'll try that and report back. [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Shoes: I have a brand new pair of New Balance 602. They fit well. I tried on a number of styles before I decided on that one. I don't think it's the shoes.:"

It might not be the shoes, but it could be your feet. You might need supports. You can get non-prescription orthotics(I use Spenco) from good shoe stores. i would check with your doctor and see if you can see a podiatrist.

"Stretches: I do that stretch you suggested."

Could have been more of a circulation problem. I have felt that in the backs of my knees. Something might be out of alignment in your back, and it is pinching off a nerve.

Another stretch, which is for knees as well as shins, is to press the balls of your feet, back to front, against each other. (Pull up with one foot while pushing down on the other foot)(sorry for poor description)

"Weight Watchers: I went for a year...and did pretty well."

Keep all the WW material, and see if you can start your own group, with friends. Or start a support thread here(wasn't there one?)

"Measuring and Weighing"

What I have been doing is NOT weighing and measuring, and focusing on getting in shape. I have been doing this weight loss thing unseuccessfully for many years. My latest tactic is to just focus on an athletic goal(run a 5K race in the spring) and work to achieve that. If I do, I know I will lose weight and inches in the process.

"Weight Training: I have a very hard time motivating myself to workout for the sake of working out."

Just do push-ups, sit-ups, lunges(if your knees can take it) and those backward push-ups. That will tone you, but you won't build much muscle.

"I listen to a CD that helps me keep a steady beat (so many years of marching band!) and then I can think. "

I think, from what you said about the walking not working as fast as you want, that you need intervals.

I use telephone poles. I have a 3 mile walk, and I run 8 telephone poles. I can run one at a time, two at a time, or all at once. You can also just use the phone poles for fast walking blips.

Or, make a mixed cd or tape where the music starts slow and builds up speed. Walk slower when the music is slow, faster when it is fast. (or run at those times-maybe run for one song) If you like classical music, a symphony would take care of it. Or, just start with James taylor, get a good jam band for the middle, and back to a mellow song at the end.

Sorry, I know way too much about this stuff. And I am still chubby and out of shape.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That telephone pole idea is great Liz! I may have to use that. I've been going to the gym fairly regularly for a while now, but I've been feeling like getting outside more, so this morning I decided to go for a run/jog/walk. My god, I have the endurance of a gnat! I can go at a rapid pace on a stairmaster or an elliptical trainer for a half hour, but after running for 3 minutes I felt like just crawling into the next culvert I came to and spending the day there. Instead I just walked, and then ran again when I got my breath back, and repeated for a half hour. I didn't have enough time to stretch really thoroughly before I had to leave for work though, which I wasn't terribly happy about.

aretee, I know what you mean about the weights. I don't really enjoy most forms of exercise a whole lot; they're okay, but they aren't something that I'd do just for fun. Weights are no exception. I finally decided, though, that 15 minutes a day wasn't really much time spent doing something I found to be on the slightly negative side of neutral, and I've been fairly good about it since then, although there have been a number of times where I've gotten out of the habit and had to drag myself back into it.

Still, it's definitely better to walk and do nothing else than to start something more ambitious and quit after a week because you hate it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"That telephone pole idea is great Liz!"

Thanks! My dad said I should write a whole book about it and market it, like the Tae Bo guy and all the others have done. I could take the simple idea and make it really complicated. I could have someone invent a special pole-counter.

Speaking of that, Aratee, "Curves" is really huge all over the country. I have thought of trying it this winter. You are done in 30 minutes, with (supposedly) a full cardio workout and weight training. I know a few people who have been doing very well with it.

Liz

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

There is a Curves here in town, but I'm broke. I don't get my first paycheck here until 9/15, so maybe in October...
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

D'oh. Forgot about the broke part, sorry.
Liz

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Liz!

That's a great idea! Before you know it Pole-Bo will be sweaping the nation!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Pole-Bo"

Oh my goodness, I can't stop giggling!

Wait, I will have to also have specialized exercises to be done every twenty poles.

The saddest part is, we will read in the paper or see on the news where some guy developed a telephone ploe training program and is making millions.

Thanks, Noemon, I will laugh all day.

Liz

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
aretee, try this when you're sitting down:

tapping your feet, say, 50 times a pop. Do this whenever you're seated, see if that helps.

You also might want to do calf-lifts as well. If your leg sides are developing lopsided, they'll pull on each other and, well, hurt.

[Smile]

I also recommended doing weight training. Each pound of muscle you put on burns an extra 50 calories a day just by virtue of BEING there.

Is there a YMCA nearby you could join?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack is right. Any building and stretching of the calf muscles is key to foot health, which, in turn, leads to leg health.

My podiatrist said I had the tightest calves he had ever seen, and he did not mean I had strong muscles. They were just tight.

Also, I sprain my ankles easily, due to lack of muscle.

A great stretch is just to hang off a step or curb with the balls of your feet on the step and your heels hanging down.

Liz

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
aretee, are you getting enough calcium? You might be developing stress fractures because your bones are low density from lack of calcium.

Also, you might be pushing yourself too hard. You might want to consider doing an aerobic exercise every other day that stresses different muscle groups. Perhaps bicycling or swimming? This way you still work your heart but give the various specific muscles you are stressing more time to heal and build up until you can stress them every day. Remember, this is still the first month.

Also, though I'm actually rather impressed that you're *walking* 2.5 miles in less than 30 minutes, as another way of not overtaxing your body, you might want to try doing 2.5 miles one day and then, say, 2 miles the next, at least for the first couple of months.

Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you're broke, but when you can buy music, you may consider getting tapes and CD's made for exercise.

Here is some walking music

I'm joining a ladies only fitness club as soon as the kids start school. I cannot wait.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Aretee,

Do you have a walkman with the archaic "cassette tape" capability?

If so, and you tell me what kind(generally, because I will have to proseletyze my favorite musicians) of music you like, I will make you a tape.

(It will, of course, be copyrighted for my Pole-Bo business.)

Liz

Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
If its something like shin splints, you should also try walking on grass vs. a track surface or concrete. There is a considerable difference on the pounding your legs will take.

Others have mentioned mostly everything else that will affect your shins.

Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

Update:

Okay, I tried some of your suggestions. Here's my progress report.

Hurting Shins
They only hurt on Monday! When I walked the rest of the week, they didn't hurt. But, today, they hurt again. Now, I don't walk on the weekends, so I am wondering if they just hurt after I haven't walked for a few days.

Today, when my shins hurt, I stretched them out, as many of you suggested. I almost quit after the first mile (I've decided that I am a wimp!). But, then I turned my body around and walked backwards on the far stretch of the track. That eased the pain and THEN, I felt that it was working my hamstrings. It also raised my heartrate and when I turned around, I could walk slower and ease the pain that way. So, I pushed through the pain, and finished my 2.5 miles! [Big Grin]

Weight Training

I know this might not count for much, but I bought wrist weights that are 2.5lbs each. They don't do much for my triceps, but if I concentrate on how I swing my arms while flexing I can feel them working my biceps.

Pole-Bo [Big Grin] (Or, should it be Tae-Pole?)

I was thinking about that this morning and I smiled to myself. I walk on a track so it is easy to gauge lengths.

Walking Music

I have made two GREAT CDs that really help me keep a nice pace, with slow songs at the end for my cool down. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself.

Storm Saxon

You know, I did the math in my head and after being really impressed with myself for doing 2.5 miles in 30 minutes I realized that I don't. [Grumble] I do 2 miles in 30 minutes and THEN spend 15 minutes stretching and 2 cool down laps. Sorry, I didn't mean to fib.

Concluding thoughts (I'm having fun with the bold print, can you tell?)

I felt very good this morning when I finished. Even my shins felt good during my last lap. I noticed that it took a lap to even get my heartrate up to my target zone, so I had to add a lap. But, the good part is that I am still excited about walking everyday. I still haven't lost any weight, but my boyfriend says I look smaller. I don't know if he's just being kind or not, but he's lost 150 lbs and I don't think he'd say that just to say it. He knows what this is like.

I want to thank you all for your input. I really do appreciate it. I plan to start taking calcium soon, too. I am so anti-vitamin supplements that it is hard for me to overcome it.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Great, Aretree!

What's on your music tape?

aretee
Member # 1743

I have a Dixie Chick CD. I'm not a HUGE fan, but the CD I made is perfect. The other is Peter Breinholt (he's not widely known).
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Walking is great exercise! I lost 15 pounds just by walking. That was without dieting. 'Course, I was training for a marathon then, but still.

You've got some great advice here so far. A few things I want to add:

• Do NOT use your wrist weights while walking. They throw off your posture. They're fine for at home, though.
  • DO swing your arms when you walk. Your arms should be bent at a ninety degree angle, and they shouldn't cross your body as you swing. This actually helps drive you forward.
  • If you're walking every day, you might want to consider buying a second pair of shoes and alternating them, to let them decompress each day.
  • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Being dehydrated can lead to muscle aches. Drink water before and after your walk. If you're thirsty, then you're already dehydrated. Right now your distance/time is short enough so you probably can do without drinking while walking, but it's a good idea nonetheless. Definitely start drinking water during your walks if you increase the distance/time.
How long have you been walking for exercise? 2.5 miles in 30 minutes is a great pace! That's faster than my average pace. If you haven't been walking long, though, it may be too strenuous for you. Your options then would be to either decrease your pace, distance, or time, until your body adjusts.
Where did you buy your shoes? I highly recommend going to a running store and getting properly fit for shoes. They'll know the type of shoe that's good for you by watching how you stand and walk.

Here's a great walking website. I visited it daily when I was in training.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

- posted      Profile for meltingsnowman           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I would recomend switching to biking, your shins wont hurt as they do because you dont get the impact you do from walking or running, also I've seen it do some amazing thigns for people as far as weight loss. I ride a lot and im getting seriously into racing, I'm 6'3 and 155lbs.
Also, I think its much more fun then walking. Walking is....slow.

(I am highly cycling-biased [Big Grin] )

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

My boyfriend is a mountain bike freak. I'm actually walking to get in good enough shape to start riding a bike. The problem is that I just demolished his bike and now he has to ride his old one (which is the one I was going to use). My bike is not in working order, but he promised to overhaul it for me (even though I destroyed his $3,000 bike). Then, I will start riding my bike to work. Since I live in Texas, I can even do this in the winter.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, um, how did you demolish the $3000 bike? o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do decide to ride a bike, I would suggest you keep to sidewalks and bike paths whenever possible. I see idiots biking in traffic all the time, and quite frankly I'm surprised that more of them don't get killed. I bet they cause a hell of a lot of car accidents too, what with all the swerving going on.

I used to ride a lot in high school, and it's never hard to find good bike paths, so play it safe and stay off the road.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Leslie - I'm sorry I missed this earlier.

If you can find a tennis buddy, and a park that provides free courts, it is an extremely addictive game. Deidre and I live by it. If we go a couple days without playing I get grumpy and she gets whiney. [Smile]

However, walking is still great. I'm proud of you for persevering despite initial discouragement. Losing weight is tough, but man - so worth it.

If you need extra special Ralphie Luvin Encouragement feel free to e-mail me, toots. dandadodge@comcast.net.

[Hat]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

- posted      Profile for meltingsnowman           Edit/Delete Post 
Your boyfriend must love you very very much to still be that nice after having his bicycle destroyed. But please, do tell how it happened.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tennis is rough on the knees and shins, as well as feet, but who cares? It is so much fun!
aretee
Member # 1743

I've tried tennis. I like tennis. The person who taught me got pregnant shortly after we started and then moved away. I had another friend who plays (and his cousin), but they are so much better than me, they never had a very good time. I haven't had good luck with tennis. And now I have moved so I can't play with them.

How I wrecked my boyfriend's bike: (That could be the title of something, huh?)

Well, when his bike is on the back of the 4-runner (on the bike rack) he backs it up to light posts so that theives can't just cut the cables and take the bike off. (It's a Specialized FSR he built from scratch with all XTR components)

Well, we were in the Sam's parking lot, and he had parked in front of the light post and I thought that while he was returning the cart (he's very good about putting the carts in the cart corrals) I would start the car and cool it down. His 4-runner is a standard, but he has a clutch over-ride button so you can start the car without pressing the clutch. (I do that in my car all the time, but it's an automatic.) Well, stupid me didn't make sure it was out of gear. It was in reverse and the car lurched back into the light post and folded it the darn thing.

He is wonderfully forgiving. He screamed for 1.5 minutes (non-stop), but not at me. And when the initial shock wore off, he calmly walked back towards me (my eyes wide with shock and horror at my own stupidity) [Angst] he said, "It's just a bike." And so it's been. He makes jokes about it every once and a while, but he has never intentionally made me feel guilty. (I do that all by myself.) The worst part about it is that his insurance won't cover it. He is excited about building a new bike. I would not have been so forgiving. I was a wreck.

Fitz, I would ride on mountain bike trails. If I rode to work, I would ride on side street, and not the main roads. And, for the short time I woule be on a main road, it would be early in the morning.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Wow, I don't know if I could be that forgiving about MY bike. He sounds like a keeper. My family was the sort that, when Dad would call in bleeding and in pieces on the road from an accident, you knew that the correct first question was not "Are you ok?" but "Is the bike ok?"!

AJ

How many of the components could he salvage even though the frame was shot?

[ August 12, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Han
Member # 2685

- posted      Profile for Han           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you do decide to ride a bike, I would suggest you keep to sidewalks and bike paths whenever possible. I see idiots biking in traffic all the time, and quite frankly I'm surprised that more of them don't get killed. I bet they cause a hell of a lot of car accidents too, what with all the swerving going on.
In almost all circumstances, a bicycle is legally the same as any other vehicle on the road--legally entitled to be there as long as it is obeying all traffic laws. If the drivers of cars cannot handle this, they are the ones who shouldn't be on the road.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Exactly Han! I want to bike to work, but the problem is because so many drivers are idiots I don't want to risk life and limb during rush hour. Some places here in the Chicago area you are legally allowed to ride on the sidewalk. But, in other places you can be ticketed because a sidewalk is for pedestrians only.

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Han, but it doesn't mean much if you're lying in a ditch by the side of the road because some jerk decided to see how close he could get to you.

Elizabeth, if the tennis is hard on your joints, you can always switch to clay courts. I can't stand the unpredictable bounces, but they're a lot easier on the joints.

Ralphie, the fact that you play regularly has raised you up another notch.

[The Wave]
The crowd goes wild as Ralphie smacks another backhand winner down the line.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say I was any good. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
On bikes, I've always found that avoiding traffic is always the best approach (in spite of what the law says). If you ride on sidewalks, warn the walkers when you come up from behind.

I was riding on an off road bike trail, and got yelled at by a lady who was walking there (against the rules) for not giving her a warning when I came up from behind. In such instances, use the middle finger as desired.

On those occasions when you must ride where cars are present, be assertive.

If you are way over to the side, drivers always try to pass you without slowing down or changing lanes.

However, if you are out there in the middle of the lane, the driver gets the idea that "yeah, I need to either slow down or change lanes or both to avoid this guy."

If you are riding in very heavy traffic, DO NOT, under any circumstances attempt to pass cars and get to the head of the line at a stoplight. This causes drivers to get too close to you, and some of them even hit you with their door. [Smile]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.