FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Freaky Friday?

Author Topic: Freaky Friday?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck is up with this?

Hasn't this been done already? With Kirk Cameron and Dudley Moore if I remember correctly.

Is nothing sacred!!!

*not to say of course that that movie was *sacred*, just that this one was unnecessary*

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Close, with Jodie Foster and Barbara Harris, in 1976. The Dudley Moore/Kirk Cameron film was called Like Father, Like Son, and was the male version of Freaky Friday, which was originally based on a children's book of the same name...and I can't...remember...the author....
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

ahhh...so this new one is a remake of an older one that's already been ripped of?

man...it just gets worse.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

oh...and Vice Versa!

remember that?

Judge Reinhold/Fred Savage

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...although the original book was quite cute, if I remember correctly...still looking for that author, though...all I can find is the movie novelization (which I suppose MIGHT be by the same author...)

Edit: Ha! looks like it is the same author...Mary Rodgers--which, upon reflection, might mean that it isn't a novelization at all, but a reprinting with movie stars on the cover, a la LOTR and Harry Potter.

[ August 05, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, there was 18 again with George Burns and . . .what's his face.

Right? Or am I making that up?

I dunno. But I don't see HOW they sold a production company on a theater release of this thing.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been at least 6 or more feature films with that plot, a kid and their parent trading places.
The plot has been beaten down until it has no life or originality left and I'm sad but not surprised that Hollywood is doing another version. [Frown] [Wall Bash]

[ August 05, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm a little skeptical about this one. Particularly since I grew up on the original. When I was in elementary school, they'd put on Freaky Friday or The Parent Trap every time there was a holiday and the teachers didn't want to prepare a lesson. They're an integral part of my childhood.

On the other hand, about five years ago they remade The Parent Trap. I was skeptical about that one too, but I watched it, and I liked it. It'll never replace the Haley Mills version, but it was a lot better than I expected. I don't know if the writers or the director from that are working on Freaky Friday, but it has Lindsay Lohan (the little girl from the Parent Trap remake) in it, and it's getting some good reviews. So I'm going to see it before I shout blasphemy. If it sucks, though, I will be most upset.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shameless Self-Promotion
Member # 4919

- posted      Profile for Shameless Self-Promotion   Email Shameless Self-Promotion         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Disney. If you can't plagiarize yourself, then who can you plagiarize?
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I used to love the Parent Trap when i was a kid...ahhh, the memories.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see the preview for that movie without saying/thinking "How many times do they have to remake that stupid, stupid movie..." There was already a remake in the 80s/90s!! GRRRR!!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Urg! I hate remakes [Wall Bash]
Besides, for some reason kids act better as adults than adults act like kids.
[Confused]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't *hate* remakes. they are just rarely up to par with the originals. the only exception i can think of at the moment is Little Women w/ Winona Ryder, et al. Loved that movie. Still do. If you have some appropriate people, and its been a suitable period of time since the original, by all means direct a new one. Plus movie direction styles have changed. I mean, you could re-do the Parent Trap again with the exact same dialogue as the original and pitch-perfect actors, and it would *still* seem completely different. People are just different now...movies have a different feel to them. Which is why i'm looking forward to the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake. I just want to see what they do differently.

Oh, and that being said...i'm not going to see Freaky Friday. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert and Roper liked it. They, too, thought "do we need this movie again?" but the execution was good. They especially liked Jamie Leigh Curtis' take on being a kid.

I am predisposed to like anything with Jamie Leigh.

Remember back when we heard of "Pirates of the Caribean?" I was expecting awfulness, but was pleasantly suprised.

[ August 05, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Sweet William ]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of remakes, has anyone seen this ? Has Spielberg ever directed a remake before? I don't know how happy I am with Danny Kaye being played by Jim Carey. I guess we'll see...
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this idea has been done before.

OTOH, I adored this book when I was a teen. And Mary Rodgers' other two, similarly-themed books, A Billion for Boris and Summer Switch. And I'm a fan of Jamie Lee Curtis as well... so I plan to see this movie. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this last night and I think a remake should work because the kid (Jodie Foster) from the first one is not that much younger than some of our mothers. It was pretty funny, except I didn't really believe Jamie Lee Curtis was the kid as much as I think I should have. Too bad they couldn't have used accents or something.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night too. It was better than I thought it would be. I laughed through most of it, though it was all laced with that ugly, Disney slap-sappiness.

[ January 09, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Every idea has been done before. What makes the book or movie is the way they tweak the idea. Just my 2cents. [Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
No! No! Jim Carrey can't be Walter Mitty!

[Cry]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Danny Kaye is great, but I didn't like him as Walter Mitty much. As a backhanded insult, I think Ben Affleck would make a great Walter Mitty.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.