FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you allergic to? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are you allergic to?
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

- posted      Profile for meltingsnowman           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing for me! hahahahahaha [Evil]

Although I seem to have many more scars from road rash then most people [Razz]

I have a friend who has the worst allergy I've ever seen, chocolate seems to cause him to die. The smell alone gives him horrible migrains, to me it sounds like and unimaginable hell.

[ August 12, 2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: meltingsnowman ]

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not pleasant. While others luxuriate in chocolate, chocolate, dark and milk causes major sneezing, nose, eye, and headache issues with me. What's really odd is that I'm allergic to Chocolate, and to milk, and yet my reaction to Dark Chocolate is always far worse than to Milk Chocolate.

That being said, I still eat it, and I still love it, but anytime I dabble, I need to dose with medicine and be prepared for massive irritation, and chronic headaches, like when I visit someone with pets.

It's immensely frustrating to say the least, but it could be worse, so I try to count my blessings.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[kvetch] Something in the air, and whatever it is, it "bit" me today. [Razz] [/kvetch]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Pollen, dust, mold, cats and dogs, and flower-based scents.

A combination of Allegra and Flonase keeps it under control. Flonase is cool stuff. At first I was afraid of it because it smells like flowers, but it works.

I find that being around cats and dogs lessens the severity of the reaction, so I own two of each, plus a pair of gerbils. The dogs are not allowed to lick me, though.

I took Paxil for 6 weeks once, and on about the third day my mouth and jaw quit working properly, and my tongue felt swelled up and uncontrollable. Would that be more of a side effect than an allergy, or not?

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Flonase is the only allergy medication I have ever tried that worked for more than two days in a row for me. All the others I've tried give me rebound issues after a day or two. [Razz]

The only problem is, about a day after the Flonase started really working, I got what I describe as an "ice-pick headache" -- it felt like someone was jabbing the base of my skull with an ice pick. [Angst] Advil made it go away for 4 hours at a time, and after two days of THAT, I decided the cure was worse than the disease. Aren't side effects lovely? [Grumble]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead_Horse - To my knowledge, swelling of the tongue is a sign of a severe allergic reaction (and can precede anaphylactic shock). You should definately notify your doctor when such a thing happens.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to mosquito bites--they blister and swell and look like something horrible got me. Otherwise, nothing.

My daughter, however, is allergic to peanuts and nuts, which is really scary. The blood test came up with her being allergic to everything: corn, wheat, milk, soy, beef, chocolate...she'd starve if she really had reactions to all those things, which thank goodness she does not. But we're careful.

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has celiac's disease--aka wheat allergy/gluten intolerant.

I thought being diabetic was hard!

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a mild allergy to many different kinds of insect stings and bites--I break out in itchy lumps.

I think I'm allergic to something in the Memphis air--my eyes unexpectedly became itchy and dry and I had sinus problems while visiting friends there.

But my worst allergy is to morphine. Following back surgery I was placed on it for the pain. When I finally became lucid again I realized I was itching everywhere, even underneath the huge dressing on my back. I had to be switched to Demerol, which didn't make me itch but was less effective--ouch!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have gluten intolerance. I can't eat anything that contains wheat, rye, barley or other closely related grains.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.