FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What am I to DO?

Author Topic: What am I to DO?
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem. A BIG one.

See, I got fired from my first job. Sort of. It's a long story. See, I started out...and didn't know what the heck I was doing. I screwed up, missed stuff, two, three times. They put me on 'probation', also known as cleaning detail. I do this for a month, working my butt off. They tell me I'm about to be given back full duties and hours, start giving me back my old jobs...and then they fire me. The reason? I'm too expensive and time consuming to train out of my early troubles, along with a very weak list of 'mistakes'. I'm also the only sixteen year old there. But yet...they keep me on the payroll for emergencies and holiday rushes? I smell a rat. But that isn't the problem.

See, I got used to a paycheck. I want to have one again...but now I don't think I can get a job again. I mean...I did get sort of fired from my first job EVER for incompetence!! And I don't want to lie about it...what am I to do? I wouldn't hire me! Not getting fired from your very first job. How do I get hired by any decent employer now?

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalier
Member # 3918

- posted      Profile for Cavalier           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're still on the payroll, I suggest you give them two weeks notice saying you quit. Technically you're not fired if you're still on the payroll, it's just a reduction in hours. It sounds like a minute difference but it can be big deal when you're fillnig out other applications. It enables you to say you quit because you weren't getting enough hours instead of being fired for incompetence.

Anyone want to back me up on this?

Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been thinking about it...putting perspective on it. First...I'm not technically fired...so I can quit, which looks much better. Second, I got 'fired' when most summer jobbers are quitting anyway...so it doesn't look weird. So...I can make that look better...I just have to make sure my NEXT boss doesn't confer with the last one.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree. Quit, and you can honestly say you quit.

As another note, you are not obligated to put every job on your resume. You can elect to not put the job on your resume. I would not, however, lie about having that job.

The purpose behind a resume is to get a potential employer interested enough in you to call you for an interview. Knowing this, you have a certain amount of freedom in tailoring your resume to your purposes.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalier
Member # 3918

My experience with employers has been that they won't rip into you with a new boss unless you gave them a really hard time. However, I have no idea what your boss is like. If they're a jerk...well...some businesses have several phone numbers. Do your best to give them the right one (like to a sympathetic supervisor or a supervisor who doesn't know you well). That's really all you can do in addition to quitting.
Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalier
Member # 3918

A note: While it's true you don't need to put certain jobs on your resume, I caution you about applications. Most applications from an employer ask about job history and ask for information to account for any time you weren't employed. Though, this is your first job, so there is no lapse in the record to account for right? Just keep it in mind for the future.
EllenM
Member # 5447

- posted      Profile for EllenM           Edit/Delete Post 
Most employers will only verify: that you worked there, how long, for how much and what your duties were. They usually refrain from commenting too much about you personally, because they fear litigation.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, getting fired is not the end all, be all that you are thinking. In this economy folks are getting fired left and right over trivial matters.

If you ask around, just about everyone has been fired once or twice during their lives.

That reduction of hours deal, keeping you on the payroll is oftentimes something an employer will do to keep someone from claiming unemployment insurance. Sounds like your boss is a bit of a rat, so heck, go on and find something else. He'll be losing more than you will.

(thinking of the old Johnny Paycheck song, "Take this job and shove it~~~")

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.