FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » child abuse? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: child abuse?
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet William, I hear you. I know of two children who were taken away from a loving grandmother and aunt because that wasn't a traditional family arrangement.

When you report your own personal experiences with situations like this, I don't see how it's appropriate for others to tell you that you're wrong. Or that you're being rude to people in that profession by pointing out the failings of the system. It's not rude at all, it's extremely helpful in the event the people in the profession want to hear what's wrong and make things better.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
He called 99% of child protective services wrong. That can hardly be construed as constructive criticism.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that CPS/DSS workers are not lurking around the country, lying in wait to catch you spanking your children so they can put them in foster care. If they were, they would end up in the Crappy Superheroes thread.

What they are is a group of people who make crap for a salary, are overloaded with cases, and generally want the best for people, especially children, or they would have chosen a different career.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a matter of them screwing up so much... after all, almost anyone who gets their kids taken away is gonna feel like they didn't deserve it and have reasons why.

I think the real problem is that when CPS screws up, it's HUGE. There is no way to make a small mistake when dealing with child custody.

I fear them and generally distrust them, but I sure as hell wouldn't want their job and am in awe of their responsibilities and the pressure they must feel.

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
ak: I've known some bad engineers they've made careless planning decisions that resulted in people getting killed. You know, 99% of engineers are like that, totally incompetent and not caring about the quality of their work.

Now do you see?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m. bowles
Member # 3743

- posted      Profile for m. bowles   Email m. bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mac. I am just very guarded at this point. I realize its like every thing else, you take the good with the bad and move on.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a family that had a sick six week old baby and a four year old. They had just moved to the rural county in tennessee where I used to live.

The baby had diarhea really bad, and the pediatrician told them to go to the e/r. The doctor on call had done part of his undergrad research on child abuse. He entubed the baby boy to look for signs of abuse (that is, he put a clear tube inside his rectum-- only he didn't have a tube of the correct size to use on an infant).

The parents had both of their children taken from them within half an hour. They were from California. She was Mexican-American and he had long hair.

They fought for YEARS to get their children back. The courts even ruled that evidence supported that the e/r doctor had actually CAUSED the rectal tears that he cited as child abuse. Their only crime was being 'not from around here'.

It still pisses me off to think about it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.