FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "The O.C."

Author Topic: "The O.C."
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*slight spoilers*

I apologize if there is already an O.C. thread, but I did a search and couldn't find one.

The first episode was pretty lame, predictable 91210 type of stuff. The only reason I watched was because I liked Adam Brody (Seth) from the Gilmore Girls and I've been following Mischa Barton's (Marissa) career ever since her appearance in Lawn Dogs.

The second episode however, showed real promise. Ryan's confrontation with Marissa's boyfriend added an interesting twist to the story. I'm glad the writers decided to make her boyfriend into a multi-dimensional character and not just a caricature of a jealous boyfriend. I am definitely there for the third episode.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it amazing that Mischa Barton was born in 1986. That's just ridiculous.

Plus, the male lead is about ten years older than her.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Book, are you amazed because she looks much older or you are amazed that they actually got a 17 year old to play a 17 year old? [Wink]

So far Ryan hasn't dazzled me with his acting abilities. I don't know why they didn't find anyone younger to fill that role. [Dont Know]

[ August 13, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that she is only 17, she looks much older. My husband and I kept talking about how they should have gotten someone closer to actual high school age to play the part. I guess we were fooled.

I agree though, the second episode showed a lot more promise. I'm hooked to watch next week also.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am now stuck liking this show because they played a Jeff Buckley song in the second episode.
Other than that, it seems to be standard fare.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"O.C."

Operant Conditioning?
Obsessive Compulsive?
Orange County?
Optical Carrier?
Overclocking?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo-hoo! Juliette posted again!

Anyway, my opinions on the show... I don't think it's a good show, but for some reason I'm still drawn to it, interested in it. It doesn't do a very good job of portraying the part of OC I live in (to say nothing of my friends up in Brea), but since I never went to high school in Newport Beach, I can't say how accurate it is there.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So O.C. actually stands for Orange County? Huh. I take it that this show is about life in Orange County or something?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah OC stands for Orange County. It is actually a fairly commonly used acronym around here, too.
quote:
I take it that this show is about life in Orange County or something?
I can't really figure that out. I guess in some ways it is. That is, the Newport rich kid culture is a major part of the story so far, although I have no idea how accurate it is. And it is obviously a character-driven story, although it is a bit cliche so far. I guess it's as much about Orange County as 90210 was about Beverly Hills. Which makes sense. Seems like Orange County is becoming this decade's Beverly Hills.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

It is part Playboy and part Great Gatsby. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.