FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » please help, extreme windows problem!

Author Topic: please help, extreme windows problem!
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
I would really appreciate help with this, my friend recently bought a laptop and a Targus port replicator to connect his ethernet card to his computer (he has cable). We installed the drivers properly, but every time we open the internet, and immediately whenever we try to scan for windows updates at microsoft.com, his computer gets this error message:

Generic host process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. This shutdown was initiated NT Authority\system
Windows must now restart because the remote procedure call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly.

It disconnects from the internet, freezes all ability to operate the laptop and counts down from 1 minute and then shuts down. No explanation, we've tried setting up the net connection over and over, we've tried re-installing the ethernet card drivers. We're about to format because this is annoying. Please help!

[ August 13, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Duragon C. Mikado ]

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another thread on this Duragon - a fairly simple Windows security patch.

Go to www.microsoft.com/downloads/

You'll see a security fix for RPC for your OS. Download. Install. Wipe sweat from brow.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this would most likely be the same wormie I was wrassling with last night. Here's the info from Microsoft and Symantec.

Such a charming little worm. [Grumble]

~~~Lead

Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
SOrry, we cant get it to the point where it will download that, that thing happens right when we hit the updates page. I knew there was a thread on this but my problem is significantly different in that there is no time to dl the patch or the removal tool before it occurs.

[ August 13, 2003, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Duragon C. Mikado ]

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3498721,00.html

or if you cant go there try this

Go to the command line interface by clicking on the Start button and selecting Run. Type "command" (without quotes) and click OK.

At the command prompt, type "shutdown -a" (without quotes). This effectively orders the computer to abort shutdown.

Run your antivirus tools and download patches to remove the worm

[ August 13, 2003, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

Wonko THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! IT WORKED! You saved a 1600$ brand new laptop!

[Hail] [Hat] [Hail] [Hat] [Hail] [Hat] [Hail] [Hat]

Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

One other question, how can I tell what version of XP Home I have? 32 bit? 64 bit?
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
try this

Right-click My Computer and choose Properties?

i dont have xp so i dont really know

edit: just did a google search you probly have 32bit

[ August 13, 2003, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're running some kind of Itanium laptop (you're not), it's 32 bit.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an XP port for the Itanium? Cool...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.