FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm sorry

Author Topic: I'm sorry
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I get a different kind of telephone solicitation call sometimes. They don't offer me anything. They just ask.

"We were wondering if you could come in and give us some platelets today?"

Yesterday, I replied "I'm afraid I can't. My daughter is home sick. In fact, she has pneumonia."

To which the lady said, "Oh, I apologize."

"Why are you apologizing? You didn't know," I told her.

If she had said, "Oh, I'm sorry," my reaction would have been different. To me, people saying their are sorry isn't always apologizing. It is more like saying "I feel sorrow for your hardship.

That is why scenes where someone is getting down on someone else for saying they are sorry bother me. Yes, there is a problem with someone always apologizing for themselves. But often times, the script writers erroneously begin the diatribe by starting out with using "I'm sorry" in the context of one person having empathy for the person who then starts to rant.

This just goes to show that people often can't see the forest for the trees. Just because you can understand the meaning of words doesn't mean you understand the communication that is going on. For instance, while playing a particular PC game, my husband used his well earned skill to kill five characters very quickly.

"That is just evil!" I said, cackling rather gleefully because I was on his side.

Was any moral wrong doing involved? No. These days, the word evil can mean something quite different than that. But it can still also mean something so horrible no decent person would ever dream of doing it.

Here is another one: my parents went to one of those self help groups that were popular back in the late eighties. There, they learned that one should not think in terms of "I hope 'X'" The word 'hope' itself was a bad word, a no-no word in their class. (This was something I found amusing since for a short time my parents started using crude words because the same class had taught them that they were only words.) What? These people had construed that hoping was a useless pining for a future even that may or may not happen. One should live in the now, and not worry about the past or the future. Since hope focused on the future, hope was bad. They suffered from lack of context both semantically and philosophically. The here and now can only be had in context of the past and our plans for the future. I get that there was a point about not spending all your time worrying, but they took it to unhealthy extremes.

Communication is as much, perhaps more about context and intent than about the actual words themselves. We judge what is being said by who is saying it. Since we don't have the advantage of seeing each other during discussion, we have the smilies. They can turn a catty remark into silly fluff. And that is a good thing.

Rambling aside: I bet you heard Martha Stewart when you read those words. I thought of them myself, but then I immediately heard Martha Stewart's voice as I read what I'd typed. Visions of crafty projects, and her gloating over how well she has done with them. Those of us who've been exposed to Martha Stewart can't see those words without triggering that association. It subtly morphs the meaning in our culture, for good or ill.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you were wondering which movie I was ranting about when I was talking about being sorry. If this were a professional column, I'd go and find the specific scene that irritated me. I saw it a while ago and I don't remember which movie it was. But I'm not getting paid, so I won't.

Sorry about that.

[ August 13, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, you know, I was just about to make a post that was suspiciously similar to this one, but you've pretty much said what I was gonna say. [Big Grin]

I don't know which movie you're talking about, though. [Cry]

[ August 13, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. What about spiffy? May I still use spiffy?

^_^

Good points, though.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
At first, I assumed Amka had offended someone in another thread [Smile]

Then I read the post, and it reminded me of one of my biggest pet peeves with Mormon culture. Ever since President Ezra Taft Benson gave his "Beware of Pride" talk, the words "pride" and "proud" have become bad words.

I mean, yeah, the seven-deadly-sin type of pride is bad. In THAT sense, the word means you think you are intrinsically superior or more important than other people. It can also mean that you are debilitatingly self-involved, and such problems can be extremely harmful.

But a father telling his kid "I'm proud of you" should NOT be a bad thing. Saying "I'm proud to be an American/Mormon/gamer/Hatracker" should not be a bad thing to say either. Such phrases connote approval, love, and loyalty, not self-involvement and superiority.

But try to say that sort of thing at a missionary Zone Conference, and everyone thinks you're promoting sin [Smile] Grrr.

But this kind of attitude — that a word can mean ONE THING, and once you have determined the value of that ONE MEANING, you can judge the merits of the word itself, and the USERS of the word — contributes to a host of problems, from religious debates to political conflicts to race relations. If people could actually start listening to each other's intentions instead of each other's word choice, we could cut through a LOT of crap.

[ August 13, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If people could actually start listening to each other's intentions instead of each other's word choice, we could cut through a LOT of crap.
*thinks*

Wouldn't that require more assumptions, though? How can we know someone's intentions if they don't say?

Isn't the extension of that "Don't respond to what I said; respond to what you think I meant." That would bring its own whole host of problems.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Hey Geoff, I didn't even think of pride, but it is definately one of those words that has gotten a bad rap. Notice, when being praised in church, that the words "pleased" is commonly used in place of proud.

Katie, I think it helps more than harms. But this, of course, depends a lot on the person doing the assuming. Is that person habitually negative in his assumptions of other people's intent? Then even the nicest things could be taken wrong.

In cases where making assumptions can be dangerous, words should be chosen and explained very carefully. This would include things like court documents, diplomacy, and threads about homosexuality or religion.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
But this, of course, depends a lot on the person doing the assuming. Is that person habitually negative in his assumptions of other people's intent? Then even the nicest things could be taken wrong.

Hmm...

I'm still all for clear communication. Without the initial clear communication, what builds the premises for the assumptions?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Maybe its the tech writer in me, or the part of me that likes being a technical writer.

If a reasonably intelligent person under neutral circumstances cannot understand what is being said, then it is a failure of the words.

[ August 13, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Amka
Member # 690

I think our point is that even when someone is trying to be careful, communication can be unclear when taken out of context or when the society starts to morph words.
katharina
Member # 827

So sometimes the person speaking is using the word in a sense other than the currently popular one.
Amka
Member # 690

Most of our communication ISN'T careful though. Most of it is verbal, and things just shoot our of our mouths. Our are keyboards. <-- Edit: just like that. I know what I intended to type, but what came out and what I said were two different things. I meant to say "Or our keyboards."

How many of us have said things that we realized later could have hurt or unintentionally offended the other person?

[ August 13, 2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

katharina
Member # 827

Amka, what's up?
Amka
Member # 690

Well, I'm sitting down right now, so I'm not up.

My daughter is upstairs though.

There are a lot of books up on the bookshelf next to me. And VR goggles too.

katharina
Member # 827

My responses on this thread were not meant as criticism. I was just trying to think of what the implications were.

Laying the onus of communication on the listener instead of the speaker just doesn't seem... implementable.

Amka
Member # 690

Oh, no. The responsibility is on both people doing the communication. The communicator has to evaluate the person they are talking to as well.

I'm not fighting against you, but I'm saying that people have to actually pay attention and listen, and attempt, at least, to understand what is actually being said, not just grab onto a few words, slap it into a news article and accuse the person of racism, to bring out a vague example.

I mean, I'm not going to get up in front of a crowd of LDS youth after a service project and say "Can't you just feel the pride?" But in fact, they do feel very good about what they've done and pleased with themselves for doing good things.

Amka
Member # 690

And I didn't take it as criticism, in the negative sense, but as discussion. I hope you've taken it that way too.
katharina
Member # 827

How funny is it that the conversation about communication could be breaking down due to a lack of communication?
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my... Don't even talk to me about 'I'm sorry'

It's become this phrase for me that just pops out no matter what. If something bad happens, even if it's not my fault, sometimes *especially* if it's not my fault, I'll just say that I'm sorry.

I apologize way too much. But I'd like to think it's better than offending people, so I guess it's not all bad.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a little common sense is a good thing. Unfortunately, most people don't have it, so it does make communicating that much more difficult.

Obviously, Amka knew Kat wasn't asking what was literally up, though when my husband asks my son that question, he usually gets "The sky, the ceiling" and other such answers. [Smile]

I thought she was making a point. That the listener/reader needs to have a bit of common sense. Literally, her daughter is up. But I believe she knew what Kat was talking about, as shown by her next post. If more readers/listeners had common sense, then we wouldn't be filled with a world of answers like her first one.

(Wasn't that pretty much the point of that Amka?)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My stars, Kayla, I'll bet you're right. I just figured I'd ticked her off at some point, and her answers were a way of ducking talking about it.

That's it. I'm taking Kayla with me whereever I go to interpret this world.

Added: [Razz] And if the above supports a theory of the lack of my common sense, then I have no comment. *muses* Maybe we don't each get to determine what common sense is. I have a feeling what we each think isn't that common. [Smile]

[ August 13, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Obviously, Amka knew Kat wasn't asking what was literally up, though when my husband asks my son that question, he usually gets "The sky, the ceiling" and other such answers.
Hmmm, I do the same thing, Kayla, are you sure your son isn't related to me? [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My version of this sarcasm is that I generally respond to "How did you sleep?" with "Horizontally," or to "How's it going?" with "Chronologically."

Fascinating conversation, though -- please continue.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

That would explain a lot Ela.

Kat, I have a feeling you're right. Most things that I think are common sense seem like outright stunning revelations to most people. [Wink]

[Edit: changed a couple of words to make it sound better. Cause the first time, it was just wrong.]

[ August 13, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

So what about that Kat-Interpreter gig? [Smile]

I can get you into the Boy Scout museum for free. *twinkle*

Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, someone said something about "common sense." What's funny is that its not very common.

I guess its just another one of those "misccomuned" communications. [Wink]

But, anway, I say "Sorry" way too much as well, at least while speaking. Any little hints as to how I might stop? [Confused]

-Ryan

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Um, would I still have enough time to be "Hatrack googler extraordinaire"?
katharina
Member # 827

Yes! And you can have my Desk Slinky.
Amka
Member # 690

That was what I meant, Kayla.

BTW, Kat, I'm very difficult to tick off, so don't worry about it. But this does illustrate my point, with the written word at least, very well.

Had you and I had this conversation face to face, you would never have worried that I was getting upset. My meanings are harder to understand outside of the context of my facial expressions.

From a writerly point of view, I've had the privilege of having different people read stories I've written. They all read the same words, but they didn't have the same understanding. Some of them got some points easily, while others got other points. Whatever was easy to understand for them weighted how they interpreted the story as a whole. It was very cool, actually.

katharina
Member # 827

*grin* I thought it illustrated my point - I didn't know what was going on, so I had to fill in the blanks by myself. I filled in the blanks with information you didn't intend.

This is, of course, one of the main differences of communication as art (a story) and communication as task-oriented (information-conveying). If the purpose was to illustrate a point and encourage interpretation, then it worked. If the purpose was to send to me information, then it didn't.

So which is the purpose of a conversation?

Amka
Member # 690

That depends on the conversation, really. It is ALL about conveying information, but the question becomes what information do we want to convey?

During the conversation, is someone simply trying to convey love and affection, so that the words really don't matter?

Or are they trying to teach a complex principle in physics?

Are they trying to say: look at this, and what do you think?

Or are they trying to say: this is the way the world is?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.