FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to live when you wire's cut.

Author Topic: How to live when you wire's cut.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yowch!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Penile cancer is rare in America because most men are circumcised
Really? That prevents this? *brow furrows* Does the reporter know what he's talking about?

[ August 13, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread violate the Bobbit Clause.
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Kat. Uncircumcised men have a slightly greater chance of penile cancer, though it's still a pretty rare form of cancer whether or not a man is circumcised. I believe the higher rate of in uncircumcised men is due to infections and stuff underneath the foreskin.

By the way, T, you get negative dobie points for starting such a painful thread.

[ August 13, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"As shocking as it may sound, (amputation) is a reasonable option for a patient who has an aggressive penile cancer," Blank said. "Removing the penis or part of the penis can be truly lifesaving."

Yeah, but what a life. [Eek!]

They decided to amputate his penis during the same operation? They didn't consult the patient? He woke up, looked down, and....

I'd be suing, too.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ya, but Jon, you forgot one thing: I get bonus dobie points for starting an actual discussion. So it all evens out, IMO.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

True. I don't think you've ever started a non-fluffy discussion before, T.

That said, I'd like to say that that doctor was completely irresponsible and unprofessional. The alleged cancer wasn't going to kill the guy in the next half hour, and even if it had been that bad, I'm sure he still would've liked to have known before they started cutting things off that can't be replaced.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Amen, to that.

What kind of things do you tell a guy when he wakes up and looks down and to his surprise, there's nothing there?

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
At least if the cut off the wrong leg or arm, you can get a replacement.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I could find several stores in the Yellow pages that sell "replacements".
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Neither Dryden nor Khoury have been disciplined or had license interruptions, according to the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners. Complaints or investigations that don't result in disciplinary actions, however, are not made public, board spokeswoman Jane McFarland said.

Ralls did not file a complaint with the state board because of his pending lawsuit, Briley said.

Why would filing a lawsuit prevent you from also filing a complaint?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think "prevent" is the accurate word. As Jon said, the chance is lower, and I think he is correct in saying that this is related to the lower risk of infection.

There are basically two approaches to lowering your risk of developing cancer. One is to avoid exposure to carcinogens (don't smoke, don't work with radioactive materials, this kind of stuff). The other is to reduce the wear and tear on your body (the need for your cells to regenrate tissue above the normal cell cycle). Like not getting sunburt over and over or even not drinking scalding hot beverages regularly. Or, in this case, lowering the risk of infections.

None of this prevents cancer, it's just giving you better odds.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, if there were limits on the lawsuit, and since there's no permanent ongoing care that needs to be done (the guy isn't in a vegetative state and doesn't need round the clock nursing) the most the doctors would have to pay is $250,000. Think that's right? See, that is one of the reasons I'm against caps on jury awards. Those guys should be sued out of business.

(Though, come on. The guy was 67. Think he really has much use for it anyway? [Wink] )

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Dryden: Gee Khoury, looks like Hurshell here has cancer in his privates too.

Khoury: Well something's certainly wrong with them!

Dryden: Maybe we should analyze the tissue. I've made all the incesions, it's your turn to do some work.

Khoury: Are you kidding me? I just had two BigMacs, you do it.

Dryden: Fine, Fine. I'll just cut it off, shall I?

[Mad] [Wall Bash] [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Come now, Kayla, that's what the little blue pill is for.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
He had a normal sex life with his wife before the 1999 amputation.
Sounds like he did have use for it.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about it, I want to know how T found this article. Googled for "cut wire"?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

He was on GMA yesterday. Maybe T saw it and actually went looking for it.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It was actually a front page story on AOL's opening page yesterday (hey, had to go online at te in-law's house).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ya, I saw it on AOL while I was working. I didn't think about it again till I saw Annie's thread and I just made the connection. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
>> He has not had reconstructive surgery because there is not enough tissue to do it, Briley said. <<

[Angst]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<<Insert Hedwig reference here>>>>>>

Many moons ago, when my mom went in for a breast biopsy, there was a place on the paperwork that said something like:

"If the lump is deemed cancerous, do we have your permission to excise the breast, if we want to?"

(It was some type of biopsy that required her to be unconscious).

The reason I know this, is because she actually laughed at that. Hard. When I read it, she said "I wonder how many women actually answer yes to this?"

Thank God her lump was benign. [Smile]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, but they went in for bladder cancer and cut of his meat and potatos! It's a bit different I think. If they thought it was a possiblity, they should have made that very, very clear before hand. I mean, if you are going in for a breast biopsy, I think you kind of assume there might be breast cancer and something might need to be done about it. Maybe that's just me, though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.