FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh, and by the way... How in the world am I supposed to get published!!!!????

Author Topic: Oh, and by the way... How in the world am I supposed to get published!!!!????
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends, just a question--

How in the world am I supposed to get published!!!??? [Mad] [Wall Bash] [Mad]

I come from a family who's never even thought about it, so they don't know where I should start either.

Any hints? [Confused]

-Ryan

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Write something good.
2) Send it to a publisher with discerning taste.
3) Wait.

Seriously, how you get published depends largely on what, exactly, you want to publish. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Money, boot licking, and bribery or blackmail. Oh, and empty threats work wonders.

Or... you could listen to someone who would actually know.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Write
2) ?????
3) Profit!

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out publishing companies' web sites. They give you requirements for manuscripts and stuff.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Get in good with Geoff Card. He'll talk to his dad for you and BINGO! Published!

But you have to call, write and AIM him A LOT.

Lemme find you his AIM handle, address and phone number...

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] thanks Tom and T.

What about the whole "agent" thing?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you want to get published? Short stories, a novel, non-fiction? The process is different for each of those, and can differ a little by genre too.

www.sfwa.org
www.speculations.com

For short stories, you mail your precious to every magazine, from the best to the lowest. Don't scare yourself into sending it to the lower tier magazines first. If you are pretty good, they'll snatch you up. You won't know then if you could have been published in a bigger magazine.

With novels, whether you submit to an agent or a publisher, you never send in the whole manuscript. First, you usually send a query letter that has a pitch. They may then ask you for sample chapters and a synopsis. If they like that, you send the whole manuscript.

With non-fiction, you often actually don't write the book first. Instead, you do some research and query. If they like your idea, then you do a lot of research and write. There are a few other things about this that I didn't really absorb because I don't intend to sell non-fiction just now.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

Ralphie-call me an idiot (don't worry, you wouldn't be the first), but what's an AIM? I'm kind of new at all of this.

You see, I've been gone for 2 years. In Oregon, actually. I served an LDS mission there. Been to Portland a couple of times. I served in Eugene.

How's Oregon?

Amka
Member # 690

Oh, and something I forgot. Going to the publishers' sites is a good thing. The guidelines are different for every one. Jim Baen, for instance, dislikes working with agents. But other publishers won't even look at a query letter without an agent.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Hey, Ryan. My family lives in Salem. I used to live there. Welcome to the forum.
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

Thanks Amca

Here's another question for everyone. There are hundreds, probably thousands of "really good" unpublished authors out there. What makes them different from "really good" published authors? Luck?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
AIM is the instant messenger program we tend to use more than any other (AOL Instant Messenger) but we do have Parachat if ya ever wanna talk w/o AIM.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

What part of Salem? I served there for 6 months. 3 in West Salem and 3 in North East Salem. Its an awesome place. I hope I can go back one of these days.

Thank goodness its not too far... [Razz]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Listen to Amka. She's not a smart-@ss like me. [Smile]

Amka - Do you visit Salem regularly? I have this image of you keeping it all hush-hush when you visit out of fear of PDX Hatrackers catching wind of it. [Wink]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"There are hundreds, probably thousands of 'really good' unpublished authors out there. What makes them different from 'really good' published authors?"

Publication.
Seriously.

But this is more of a distinction than you might at first assume, because here's what that REALLY means:

1) They finished something.

2) They sent it to someone. The "someone" they chose and the format in which they sent it depended on the type of thing they finished, and the preferences of the publisher in question.

3) They probably sent it to MULTIPLE people, and learned to cope with rejection, until someone finally liked what they wrote.

Unless you successfully completely ALL of those steps, you will never be published. How far have you gotten?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Write a story on a bar napkin or
whatever scrap paper you have around --
I like to use wrapping that comes with
individually-wrapped toilet paper rolls
2. Photocopy said napkin or other paper product

Voila! You're published!

I haven't been published yet because I have problems with step 2.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

I finished "somethings" before, but that was over 2 years ago and I've found that I don't like those any more. I suppose I'll have to start over on other "somethings." [Smile]

At least I think I'll be able to handle step three: rejection. If anyone's been an LDS missionary before, you'll know what I'm talking about. Or, if you've turned them away yourself. [Smile]

Amka
Member # 690

What Tom said, but I would put it more succinctly.

Perseverence.

Ralphie,

The last time I was there was in Christmas of 2001. However, there is a very good chance that we will be going up there this September. Anyone up for a get together?

Ryan, did you happen to know the Fullmers? They are in the Salem 6th? ward, I think. NE. My mom is the RS president.

Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

I was in the Jan Ree ward in North-East Salem. Good place.

So, you're telling me to have patience... Blast... [Frown] [Smile]

Amka
Member # 690

Oh yeah. I was mistaking NE for SE. My parents are in the SE. But we did used to go to the Salem 3rd Ward, and the Lancaster Deaf Branch used to go to that building too.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No one's telling you to have patience, Ryan. They're telling you to work your butt off, get something written, and then work your butt off trying to sell it.

Unless you think the Manuscript Fairy is going to swing through the offices of Doubleday and drop a big, juicy bestseller into an editor's lap -- with your name on it -- patience is the LEAST of your worries. [Smile]

Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

NE, SE, its all the same anyway, isn't it? [Razz]

But, ya, I went to the Lancaster building... I think. Its been about a year and a half since I was there....

Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

Point taken, Tom.

But I like the Manuscript Fairy idea.... J/K [Cool]

Anyway, I'm not planning on just waiting to see what happens. Patience, I suppose, was the wrong word.

Does anyone else hate slow connections?

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're telling you to work your butt off, get good something written, and then work your butt off trying to sell it.
Emphasis added.

I haven't written anything nearly so impressive as to demand attention from anyone save my dearest friends. I still believe that if I write something worth publishing, finding a taker will be a cinch.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, You just blew all your credibilty ! I don't think you should be telling me to be nice to n00bs anymore. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

In an ideal world, Irami, you'd be right -- but I think a quick visit to any bookstore will confirm that you don't HAVE to write something good to get published. [Smile]
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

Amen, Tom
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie, You just blew all your credibilty ! I don't think you should be telling me to be nice to n00bs anymore.
You're right. I was... weak. Posting in Thor's thread brought back a flood of happy-teasing-Geoff memories. I couldn't help myself.

Amka - Of course, goober! Just keep me updated. [Smile]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I wasn't clear with my sufficient and necessary conditions. If I wrote Dr. Zhviago, The Poisonwood Bible, or even The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, I could have an offer letter on my desk in under a year. I'm making the argument that writing a wonderful story is indeed sufficient for publishing.

I'm not saying that it is at all necessary. Sloshing through the mire at your local bookstore is enough to prove that. I just don't think that anyone has a right to complain that their drivel isn't getting published just because other people's feces is.

[ August 13, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Irami: dude, you forgot to add in a 'swill' reference.

And: I guess we know why they call it the slush pile.

::lifts water bottle::

Here's hoping one (or more) of us can be the rose that grows out of the mire.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky, you spend too much time at slashdot. [Wink]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, I just spent about three hours at the Tor (TOR) website and read something that discomfeted (sp) me.

How do people feel about third person omni-present? One of my long stories makes use of this occaisionally. In my opinion it is always clear who is think, and it never switches between people in the same room, only between people in different places. The switch always tells the same story about the same person. If the character is presented suddenly as first person, it may be because the main character is incapacitated, or important things happen silmultaneously.

Sometimes I find this irritating in books, but not all the time. I want to know what other people think about third person omnipresent (but only occaisionally) writing.

(By the way, I'm not changing it unless I get a superhuman reason, because I like it that way and it's really the only way that it works.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sono del Mocha
Member # 5536

- posted      Profile for Sono del Mocha   Email Sono del Mocha         Edit/Delete Post 
Salutations in order, good people. This is my first post here at Hatrack, but I am an old hand at lurking and also, for bonus points, I was at EnderCon last year. So I'm quasi-legit, baby. And I ain't no newbie 'cuz I was running a 1200-baud BBS in, like, the late eighties. It had an animated ANSI title page and was up for a whole week at least. No 8-bit 'WaREz' on it though. Rock on.

Teschi, with your leave, here's my tendentious take on 3rd-person omniscent: It's so useful and convenient, this power to slip in and out of characters' heads to advance narrative points that would otherwise require all kinds of funky machinations in limited 3rd-person. So darn functional! But also so hard to do right, in my experience.

May I guess that you're slightly uneasy about your hard-wrought work being "disqualified" from some arbitrary PublisherLand Marque o' Quality because you unknowingly broke some compositional rule that you've just now stumbled across, happenstance? (I know that feeling well myself. Oh yes... [Wall Bash] ) And, what's more, *everyone* but you knows this secret rule and will belly-laugh upon skimming your stuff? I've felt like that, all worked up about, say, my overuse of proper nouns and underuse of pronouns. And then my nonstandard use of perfect tenses. And commas. And so on. Those around me threatened to force-feed me Valium, I was so grammatically insecure -- all because I read some articles about "Never do This or That because you Won't Get Published, only Ridiculed by your Olympian Betters." Of course, nobody but me saw these glaring problems in my manuscript. To smart, casual readers, it was fine. To me, my story was criminal foolery written by the vilest of poseurs.

Back to the topic: The concern, maybe, is that you use 3rd-person omniscent sparingly, perhaps as more of a sporadic device than a proper story-wide convention. That's what may cause the 'jarring' effect that gets you worried. Especially as omniscent traditionally uses no line break or section break to preface this new head we're occupying all of a sudden.

In my writing, I've often found that omniscent can feel phony when it butts in and clashes with a story's dominant tone. It's perfect for when the story has a decided, independent narrator relating the tale as it unspools. But if you're using omniscent only occasionally -- does that mean you're in limited POV for all the rest of the story? Knowing that would help.

Ah, I must say that I am biased -- I love the good old limited-3rd with clearly delinated POV switches.

Mercy me, I'm re-reading my post and I sound like such a monotonous schlub. If your story is good, it will be good regardless of what rules it breaks. One thing to keep in mind about editing yourself, though, IMHO: You can have an already-great scene, okay, and when you revise it to clear up POV issues or continuity problems, one of two things may happen:

A) you screw it up and ruin your groove [Mad]
- or -
B) you do some pruning and sprucing to this already-great scene, and then you re-read it with these changes, and *slap!* this scene that already felt great is revealed as suddenly, totally, wonderfully brilliant. As are you, naturally.

I like (B) better... even sour writers can experience euphoria when they guide a page to the light. [Big Grin]

Best to you Hatrackers,
Jon

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You!

[Big Grin]

I have been thinking about it, but for the moment, the ominiscent is staying in, because I like it that way.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.