FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because That's the Color I Am in My Mind's Eye (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Because That's the Color I Am in My Mind's Eye
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
♫ ♪
I need to know how to do those! Is it a ctrl-key sequence?

[ August 14, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
♫ ♪
code:
♫ ♪

[ August 14, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, kat! Will that sequence work outside of the board? In IRC, for example? Or is it UBB code?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't know - I can't use those. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, that's one of the things I dislike about the new layout. I can't click on anybody else's edit button to see how they did something. [Frown]

♫ ♪

Cool!

[ August 14, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, here's something strange. I just tried to use them on another board, which also runs on UBB (although a more recent version). This one ♪ worked fine, but this one ♫ just gave me a little square -- you know, the "I don't know that symbol" square. Weird!

Kat, why can't you use IRC? There are ways to access that without downloading anything, although I personally prefer mIRC.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, try messing around with the alt button and the number pad on the right of the keyboard.

For example, try tying in alt+1+6+8 making sure you hold down alt until you type in the 8.

¿ <--what you should get

§¿§

ô¿ô

ò¿o << Angry eyebrow raise.

::edit:: What am I talking about, you probably already know those...

[ August 14, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy
Member # 5518

- posted      Profile for Jimmy   Email Jimmy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with white. Though it isn't really a color. All of the colors mixed into one.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, truth is I don't know what IRC is. I know I can't use Trillian, though, and that blocks all the others.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
IRC is actually a great chatting system if you want to have popups and just all around be crazy.

Of course, thats any chat system, minus the popups. But IRC in particular.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
IRC was actually the original internet chat program.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, T_, that was a new one for me. I do know these: þ ß å
Thanks! [Smile]

Kat, IRC = Internet Relay Chat. I like AIM much better for one-on-one chatting; but IRC is much better for group-chat. Not just for pop-ups, which I don't use much; for aliases (sort of like macros); to be able to play wavs at people; and for rooms ("channels" in IRC parlance) that are private and/or password-protected.

But my favorite two things about IRC are that my computer makes a tiny click each time someone says something (so if I'm in another window because it's been quiet, I can go back and check); and with mIRC (the program most PC users use to access IRC) I can set up certain words (like, for example, my name, or "bye") that when said by someone else, trigger a chosen sound effect on my computer. That way, even if I miss the little click, I always know when someone's calling me. [Big Grin]

But it is possible to access some of the IRC nets via the web. If you're interested, I can find out what the access is for the Undernet, the IRC net I frequent.

Oops, and on topic, blue.

Oh, wait, I said that already didn't I. [Wink]

[ August 14, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the color of a bruise....a little black and gold, but mostly purple and green. When you look at me from different angles, it is either purple or green, or sometimes both together.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Purple = spiritual, passionate, visionary according to Kayla's link. [Smile] Yes!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Ralphie, I liked your link better!

I am green and red. Christmas you say? No. More of an olive/wasabi green and a maroon. These are the colors I surround myself with, yet my favorite color is medium blue. Odd how the mind works.

Kayla- your stinky sight sent me right to a naked woman with green, saggy breasts. I think she called herself the Linkmistress. Was that you! [Eek!] [Taunt]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's always been teal. (I think this might be the same color with which Jon Boy feels a connection(?) Maybe it's a good fit for Jaiden, too.)

[ August 15, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My color's a little more blue than that, kind of like the color of the angst or grumble graemlins.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shades of blue, but I know in my heart that my soul is plaid. (Tartan for all the purists out there).

The word "blue" has always been a very peaceful sound to me. And the names of blue are versatile. The hokey "cornflower" to the sharp sound of cadet. Then there are blues that fade happily into purples and blues that infringe on the territory of green. Blue 'gets along' with almost every color on the color wheel, too. My blue jeans are blue and if you ask me, they go with everything. . . .

Yeah. Blue.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
From Ralphie's link:
quote:
... white, although often considered as no colour (a theory llargely due to the Impressionists, who saw no white in nature), is a symbol of a world from which all colour as a definite attribute has disappeared. This world is too far above us for its harmony to touch our souls. A great silence, like an impenetrable wall, shrouds its life from our understanding. White, therefore, has its harmony of silence, which works upon us negatively, like many pauses in music that break temporarily the melody. It is not a dead silence, but one pregnant with possibilities. White has the appeal of the nothingness that is before birth, of the world in the ice age.

V. Kandinsky, Concerning the spiritual in art, Dover Publ. New York 1977, translated by M.T.H. Sadler

Hmm.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That reminds me of my all-time favorite opening line.

quote:
White. A blank page or canvas.
The challenge: bring order to the whole.
Through design. Composition. Tension. Balance. Light. And harmony.

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you people need to use an ad blocker program. I never even knew there were so many ads till my Nortorn ran out and the store was out of the new ones. I had to get McAfee and it really sucks!

However, most Ads are currently blocked and I don't see the ones y'all are talking about most of the time. [Razz]

(Yeah, that's me LadyDove. Ain't I gorgeous?)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I pictured myself melting into a puddle, and the puddle was dark blue. But I love purply colors, too. Anything down at that end of the color scale, really.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
greens and blues.

deep grass greens and sunlit-dapply bright leaf greens.

and blues (before greens). sometimes deep-ocean blues. sometimes sky-blues. sky-blues with sunlit-dapply leaf greens are a good mixture. sometimes shallow-water brilliant turqoise blues of warm waters.
sometimes deep healthy mossy greens of growth.

blues and greens.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My puddle was multicoloured:

Dark blue, mid-Green, gold tinges and white, all mixed up.

Although I found this very hard to imagine, and influenced profoundly by what I am wearing.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teenager, my favorite color was absolutely gray. Was it the angst or was it the eighties? [Dont Know]

In the last fifteen years or so, I have come to love bright colors . . . kind of an inner child sort of thing, I truly believe. I like bright blue, and I like deep blue as well, and I like bright red. No light colors for me, please. I also love a rich violet, and if I have to pick one, that's what I'll pick. I don't care for the description Kayla posted though. I don't so much mean dark purple as a bright, plum sort of color.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.