FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Power overwhelming...

Author Topic: Power overwhelming...
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
...or underwhelming, as it were. Apparently there's a huge power outage of inderminate length here in New York, SE Canada, and the like. Luckily, we have a generator here. Anyone else hear anything about why? Not finding any news on it yet.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I see nothing about one in New York today, but was amused by some of the other power outage causes in the news recently. [Smile]

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&q=power+outage

A squirrel is to blame for a power outage that affected about 1,500 homes in West Rapid City after 9 am Tuesday. . .

And from what I see, it looks like the one in Philly was pretty serious on Tuesday.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
We just had a brown out in north Jersey, everything is fine though now.

My friend in NYC just called. everything is down in the city. no power. Everybody's leaving work. no subways right now. Bars are giving out free beer cause there's no refridgeration! run to the city! run!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
From CNN:

BREAKING NEWS Major power outages reported in New York City, other parts of Northeast, Cleveland, Detroit and other cities. Details soon.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=1&u=/nm/20030814/ts_nm/power_outages_dc

I just love detailed reports. DOn't you?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I wouldn't've noticed at all if some smacktard had plugged my UPS in right. I knew I should've checked when they moved my system.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A massive power outage swept across swaths of the eastern United States and Canada on Thursday, leaving sections of New York City, Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto without electricity, witnesses said.

Subways in New York came to a complete halt, and power was out at all three of the New York area's major airports. Commuter train service also came to a halt, and cellular telephone service was disrupted.

CNN reported a fire at a Con Edison power plant in Manhattan.

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Forked River, New Jersey was not functioning, according to people familiar with the plant's operation.

A spokesman for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said they did not know the reason for the power outages, but said the department was looking into it.

Now see, they change those reports constantly, you you really need to quote them, otherwise when people look at all the information, they'll wonder what you're talking about.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just talked to a lady in Kalamazoo who said they had about a 30 second outage, but that they're back up now.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

CNN updated, apparently it's Niagara-Mohawk's fault. Overloaded grid, no connection to terrorism.
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard a report on CNN that said that one of the breakers at the main Niagara power plant overloaded tripping breakers all over...

Good luck to all of you who who have to deal with this...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, blast you. I thought I'd made the first thread about it.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has their air-conditioner on.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Tick, you got me all excited about the possibility of Starcraft news.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I have this really bad feeling that if they don't get back online by nightfall, there's gonna be trouble...
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding, I thought this would be a starcraft 2 anouncement! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Man, where is that thread that someone did parodying the North Korean nuclear issue with South Korea's "reaver drop"? [ROFL]

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought when I read the title. I was wondering why you were talking about archons...
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Apparently, we need to construct additional pylons.
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, there is nothing more funny or good-feeling than seeing a chain of fluffy archons filing into an enemy base.
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.