FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interesting Movies

Author Topic: Interesting Movies
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
As you all can probably tell by now, I am both infinitely wise, sexy, and strong. But also, you can probably tell that I am a movie buff. So here are a few films that are coming out that sound interesting, and now I am going to slap them down on the proverbial barrelhead or whatever.

The Brothers Grimm: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0355295 Terry Gilliam's first movie since his disastrous Don Quixote movie with Johnny Depp! This sounds quite intruiging. But I wonder how two actors primarily known for their pretty faces are going to pull off the acting.

Good Omens: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0155724 Hilarious book. It's up there in the Hitchiker Genre. I discussed this previously in the Hitchiker movie thread, but it's worth mentioning again. The fact that this also is being helmed by Gilliam gives me pleasure.

The Polar Express: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0338348 I know. What the hell. They're making movies out of a classic children's picture book? Well, they are, and they've hooked Tom Hanks. Apparently it's going to be visually stunning. It's a live action film rendered to look like animation utilizing motion capture technolgy. But what that means is beyond me. As well as many, many, many other things.

The Big Empty: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0321442 VERY interesting. Fantastic cast, including Boromir and Frasier. The plot, a man (John Favreau) is told to deliver a blue suitcase to a man called Cowboy (Sean Bean) and winds up in another world. Only thing is that it's so indie, who's going to have a chance to see it?

Troy: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0332452 You will know of this movie soon. I promise it. Note that after this project, Petersen is going to do Ender's Game. So keep an eye on this one to we can have a taste of his style and skill.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Whale Rider. Go see it. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Troy has an impressive cast list. I wasn't really interested in seeing it before, but maybe I'll give it a try. (I'll try to ignore Brad Pitt.)
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea they were making a Good Omens movie. Groovy.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pitt's been given a bad rap. I think alot of people talk about him unfairly. look at the cool movies he's been in. And done a good job in as well.

Cool World
Twelve Monkeys
Sleepers
Kalifornia
True Romance
Seven
Fight Club
Snatch
Ocean's 11
Spy Game
Interview with a Vampire

He's done some bad things. And yeah, he's a pretty boy, but alot of people can't get passed that. He doesn't get by on just his looks...

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How can one ignore Brad Pitt... o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I actually don't think he's been given a bad rap. He's probably the only pretty boy actor out there who's been given an oscar nomination.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he was good in Fight Club.
I guess it's not his fault that he bugs me because everyone thinks he's so hot for some reason that I can't fathom. [Confused]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Abs, dude. Coming from a straight guy, he has killer abs.

[ August 16, 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

<---is chick that couldn't care less about his abs. [Wink]

edit: hot chick

[ August 16, 2003, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Kalifornia is one of my all-time favorite films. I especially like the way Brad Pitt plays so against type. Early Grayce is no pretty-boy role, and I think Pitt pulls it off in style.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Best example of that...Leonardo DiCaprio as Artie (Arnie?) in "Gilbert Grape." I don't really care about Leo, but that was a great job he did in that role.
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI: okay, logically, if a guy who looks like Brad Pitt turns you off...then the opposite (a guy who looks like me) should turn you on! *cheers*

You have given me hope. Great hope.

[Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, though, I actually think Brad Pitt is a GOOD actor, and I've enjoyed the movies he has been in that I've seen.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pitt made a really sexy vampire. Mmmm...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

What kind of guy do you look like, Zotto? [Wink]
Netty
Member # 4306

- posted      Profile for Netty   Email Netty         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tape" and "Ripley's Game" are both really great.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pitt is great because he's not only a pretty-boy, but he's also a MoFo who can seriously act.

He can and will take you down to China town.

Plus, his protrayal of the incomprehensible bare-knuckle boxing champion Irish gypsy in Snatch is GENIUS.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You should ask Terry Pratchett some time about the process behind getting the Good Omens film made. To give you an idea of how long it's taken, Neil Gaiman pretty much moved to America for the first time just to get that movie made; almost all the cynicism about Hollywood in his later work comes from the second series of pitch sessions. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Seabiscuit and the story was great but the moviemaking was pretty mediocre. I hated the narration, and the guy who played the owner was a bad actor, I think. The thing I liked most about it was the horses. I wasn't ever that crazy about horses but my niece is and I think I'm starting to catch it from her. I just loved that horse. It was the greatest character in the movie. The movie made me want to get a horse of my own, which isn't terribly practical, but I just want one.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Brothers Grimm: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0355295 Terry Gilliam's first movie since his disastrous Don Quixote movie with Johnny Depp! This sounds quite intruiging. But I wonder how two actors primarily known for their pretty faces are going to pull off the acting.

Matt Damon is more than a pretty face! I mean, honestly - he's got a great bod in The Bourne Identity [Big Grin]

And Troy. I'm pumped for that movie. Sure, it's half-naked pretty boys, but from the script review I've read, this "looks like a serious Oscar contender," which means it'll be the almost-ran of the summer movie season. Recent examples of this include Road to Perdition and Seabiscuit (just a guess, folks, it won't do well come award time).

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked to learn that Brad Pitt (whose nickname to me is "The Pitts") is around forty. I was always under the impression that he was a whole lot younger. Anyway, he's in Oceans Eleven, so I let him off some of his... slips.

As an actor, Leonardo DiCaprio bores me, except for in Catch Me If You Can, where perhaps he felt he had to live up to Tom Hanks' standard, because suddenly he was interesting. *Shrug*. This is the only of his films that I have seen that I felt was worth seeing, including Gangs of New York.

quote:
including Boromir and Frasier
I know, can never call them by their names either. But I did see Kelsey Grammar in New York, and while all the New Yorkers covere their eyes in shame, we (a group of grade nine and ten female students) jumped up and down demanding that he wave. Not me, of course, I just stuck my hand above the crowd with me camera. I haven't developed that film yet. Poor Frasier looked hideously embarassed.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pitt is one of my FAVORITE actors of all time, he's only below such wonderful performers as Cary Grant and James Dean in my book.

If I got to work with ONLY one actor working today, I would probably choose Brad Pitt over everyone else.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

The entire Ocean's Eleven cast sounds like they'd be pretty fun to get drunk with.

Kelsey Grammar and Sean Bean. Sean Bean is going to be Odysseus in Troy, btw, which is a great role for him, as he's always dignified and noble.

[ August 16, 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Terry Gilliam's first movie since his disastrous Don Quixote movie with Johnny Depp!
Actually, I really liked that movie. Johnny Depp is almost always great, but this was the best I had ever seen from Marlon Brando. Kind of a wistful, subtle performance.

I agree that Brad Pitt gets a bad rap. He's a pretty good actor. But as to this . . .

quote:
If I got to work with ONLY one actor working today, I would probably choose Brad Pitt over everyone else.
I personally think Denzel Washington is the best actor working today.

As for James Dean, I never got the sense that he was all that great an actor. He was in one movie, the right movie at the right time, and he died young (and recklessly), making him a romantic legend. Based on one performance, though, how can you really judge the totality of his talent?

I too thought DiCaprio was pretty outstanding in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, though the movie was depressing, and I also loved Catch Me If You Can. It may be that his best chapter is yet to be written . . . once he stops being so pretty we may get to see what he's really made of as an actor.

Or maybe not.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The entire Ocean's Eleven cast sounds like they'd be pretty fun to get drunk with.
Charming. Can you imagine having one of those "say something nice about co-workers/classmates" thing and having someone writing: "I guess they'd be pretty fun to get drunk with." I mean, what a compliment.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly can't watch the entirety of What's Eating Gilbert Grape. The mother kills me, I can't stand to watch it, because I can't stand to see her humiliated. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I can't stand to watch it either, mainly because the plot seems almost non-existent. The acting was good tho.
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
Book,

The Polar Express? Hasn't this one been in the making for quite a long time now?

flish

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Good Omens movie has been stalled for some time, as Tom mentioned. I checked the imdb site you listed and it still lists it as in production limbo, as in the last I heard, they hadn't gotten all the financing for it, yet. [Frown]

I believe Troy was originally going to be done by Ridley Scott.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, that actually sounds like a high compliment to me. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
pitt IS good and he IS pretty, in a niche role.

He sucked in the vampire movie (and not in a good way).

flish

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pumped when I first heard Sean Bean was cast in Troy. I've been a huge fan of his for a few years now, beginning with GoldenEye. That movie kicks butt. Anyhow, at the time his casting was announced, there was no role up for him (at least not on IMDb). I went through my Iliad knowledge and decided that the only ONLY role he could play would be Odysseus. Why? He's a badass trickster. He plays well the man of high station who's incredibly self-serving. His casting is perfect, and will make the movie good even if Orlando Bloom can't figure out how to deliver a line without the melodrama [Razz]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terry Gilliam's first movie since his disastrous Don Quixote movie with Johnny Depp!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I really liked that movie. Johnny Depp is almost always great, but this was the best I had ever seen from Marlon Brando. Kind of a wistful, subtle performance.

I believe you're thinking about Don Juan Demarco(sp?). The Don Quixote movie is one which was never actually made because it faced one disaster after another, until finally it was completely abandoned by all involved.

However, a very enjoyable documentary was made which showcased the entire process of how the production of a movie goes wrong.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed]

You're right!

[Wall Bash]
[Embarrassed]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
More Terry Gilliam films! I can't wait.
He's my second favorite film director, I've loved all of his films.
Especially Brazil.

Icarus, Dean had 3 feature film roles: Rebel without a cause, East of Eden and Giant.
I used to work at video stores, so I'm killer at film trivia.
I agree he's waaaay overrated though.
And Rebel is all he's remembered for.
[edit:Icarus, you could just repeat your last post.
[Wall Bash] [Wink] ]

[ August 17, 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
For more information about Gilliam's failed Don Quixote project, I highly suggest checking out the documentary, Lost in La Mancha.

If you get the DVD, the second disc has a wonderful discussion between Gilliam and Salman Rushdie wherein is revealed Gilliam was considered for director of the first Harry Potter film, among other delightful little nuggets of info...

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I've been most recently impressed with Billy Bob Thornton in "Monsters Ball" and "Slingblade". He plays two very different roles and does each masterfully.

Did Brad Pitt play a role in "Interview with the Vampire"? I liked both the book and the movie, but I was really taken with Tom Cruise's role in Interview. I haven't liked much of what Tom Cruise has done, but this was quite enjoyable.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" for the eighth time today. Oh, I need a life. But I looove that movie. [Big Grin]

Speaking of downright weird movies, try "Picnic At Hanging Rock". It's Peter Weir's first film, and one of the most unsettling and strange things I've ever seen.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how the powers that be are going to squeeze 1 1/2 plus hours out of Polar Express, because in my opinion the existing plot would get old quick. Especially since, in my opinion at least, the best part of the book was the illustrations.

The parts seem a little vauge--Head Waiter, Elf #2, The Conductor/Hero Boy, Toothless--I guess I'm just being nitpicky.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
"picnic at hanging rock" is a fictional tale, presented as though it might be real... the location is real tho - Hanging Rock is not far from the city of Melbourne.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of downright weird movies, try "Picnic At Hanging Rock". It's Peter Weir's first film, and one of the most unsettling and strange things I've ever seen.
Dang! I keep hearing about this one. I'm really gonna have to track it down...
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.