FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » convince Avadaru's mother to let her go to WenchCon

Author Topic: convince Avadaru's mother to let her go to WenchCon
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother is concerned about sending me off to another state to go spend time with people she's never met (even though I'd be with Toretha.) Toretha and I have been working hard to convince her to let me go, and it's going well, but we're not there yet. So, jatraqueros, if you want to see me at WenchCon, come up with some really convincing arguments as to why I should go and why I will be in good company! [Group Hug]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
because I'll be with you, and everyone knows I'm a good influence, and thus anything I want to do must be ok! [Taunt]
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
Avadaru,

Wenchcon?

flish

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I'll be there [Wink] [Big Grin]

Well, we can't have your parents visiting hatrack [Smile] . Depending on time of day and alignment of the stars, it could be an dissuading experience.

My best advice is to organize a phone call between one/both of your parents and one or two of the parents on hatrack who are coming ot WenchCon. That should help allay their fears.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I would try to help, but my participation in this thread might be counterproductive.

Oops, sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

flish,

Wenches' Convention?

Avadaru

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

derogatory, IMHO.

but I'm sure that's my lack of humor. [Smile]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Flish, we chose the name wenches. We also named the Con. SHoo.

I'd Kinda say the same thing as fugu, have a parent talk to one of the Wenches... I doubt any of them would object. You can have her call me, too, if she wants to,thoguh i'm not sure how much good that's going to do, since I'm only barely out of high school. But then, I CAN tell her that Olivet, Belle, Ladyday, Fael, Jenny Gardener, CT, and Rakeesh do indeed exist, and are not pervy old men.

Drop me an email if you need my number.

Ni!

[ August 17, 2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
flish, WenchCon is a LotR get-together. The name comes from the Wenches' Tavern thread. [Smile]

Which was started and run by enterprising jatraqueras. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

cool. sorry, I'm not really up on conventions. "wench" sounds kinda like watered-down "bitch".

so "wench" is one of these contemporary 'turn a bad word into a good one" themes?

right on.

[Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

No, wench has long referred to women in general, and particularly women who work in taverns. Commonly uttered by impolite men, but not being inherently an insult [Smile] .

Think of it as a colloquial expression.

[ August 17, 2003, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned_Citizen
Member # 5553

- posted      Profile for Concerned_Citizen   Email Concerned_Citizen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so completely off the subject, but does anyone want to chat on AIM?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
CC, I am about to go to sleep but if you want to talk to jatraqueros in general, there's usually someone in the aim chatroom "hatrack chat".

To get in there, send any chat invitation and when the window pops up, change the name to your own aim name, and change the chatroom to hatrack chat. If nobody else is in there currently it will create one for you.

You can also try the parachat, which is my personal favorite because it has newbies and also identity mysteries. [Smile] To get there, click on the blue chat button at the top of the page. Lots of times you have to wait a while before anyone comes in there. It's sort of like fishing. You just cast a line and then you sit. Very peaceful.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned_Citizen
Member # 5553

- posted      Profile for Concerned_Citizen   Email Concerned_Citizen         Edit/Delete Post 
ak I appreciate your help, but I am not a member of AOL, I can only talk through the AIM free service. But I understand that it is late...unfortunately I'll be up for awhile...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

CC: you don't have to be a member of AOL to use the chatrooms. Just download the AIM client (from http://aim.com ) and under one of the menus (people? I don't know, I use the mac client) there is a chat option. Choosing that allows you to invite people to a chat room. Just put your name down to be invited, and put "hatrack chat" for the chat room name.
Concerned_Citizen
Member # 5553

I'll try that, but I'm at work right now at a work computer that does not allow downloads....maybe we have it, AIM is on this computer.
Concerned_Citizen
Member # 5553

hmmm...no luck. Under the People section, the only option given to me is to invite a buddy to chat...I click that and nothing happens...I'm afraid my computer skills are below average.
Concerned_Citizen
Member # 5553

Yeah!!!! I figured it out....another triumph for non-computer savvy people around the world!

[ August 17, 2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Concerned_Citizen ]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your folks are duly concerned, Avadaru. Wenchcon? Wacky people met from the internet? If you want to have your family contact me, e-mail me at jengardener@aol.com. I'll then give you my real name, phone number, etc. Your family is right to have concerns, but luckily Hatrack is actually a pretty safe community.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then, I CAN tell her that Olivet, Belle, Ladyday, Fael, Jenny Gardener, CT, and Rakeesh do indeed exist, and are not pervy old men.
But . . . Rakeesh is a pervy old man!

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Notice, however, that she didn't say whether many of us are pervy old WOMEN!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. When is this going to be again? And where?

The whole thing is very innocent. Last year we played with action figures, dressed up, did more giggling than I think I have done since, and of course went to see LotR. Oh, and we played pictionary. Doesn't get more clean cut than that.

*polishes halo*

You'll be in good hands; everyone took good care of me even though I'm kind of a weenie about traveling and stuff. There's always someone looking out for us, so everyone is very understanding about needing to contact husbands or parents or high strung lawyers.

So there isn't anything the wenches would be up to that isn't suitable for the under 18 crowd, and you'll be with other responsible people who'll look out for you.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
When and where will it be this year?

I'm thinking if I'm free and if we can convince Avadaru's parents to let her go maybe we can convince mine...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

Great job, y'all! Keep those helpful, encouraging comments coming! [Big Grin]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're still planning on Birmingham, some time in January again. Don't think we've done much more planning than that.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

Listen, Jane, if you want, I'll give you my phone number, your mom can call me, and I can make sure she knows I'm not some pervy old man on the internet. then, knowing you'll be chaperoned but a responsible college student she'll let you go [Taunt]
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd offer to give you my number, Jane, but after that I'm pretty sure she WOULDN'T let you go.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

quote:
Listen, Jane, if you want, I'll give you my phone number, your mom can call me, and I can make sure she knows I'm not some pervy old man on the internet. then, knowing you'll be chaperoned but a responsible college student she'll let you go
Wow, Toretha, you mean you're not a pervy old man? [Eek!] Totally had ME fooled!

[Evil]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
If you pop me an email, I'll send you my contact info, too. As a mommy myself... Well, I honestly might not let you go (depending on how much I trusted this "toretha" person [Wink] ).

But really, if your mom would like to talk to me , I'm open to it. And, if it helps, Belle and I both had a hard time convincing our husbands we weren't crazy for doing this last year.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell your mom that I personally promise that we're all very nice people! [Big Grin]

I'm sure that will help tons. [Wink]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, that was a nasty thing to say about Rakeesh.

He's not old!

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surf N Stream
Member # 5312

- posted      Profile for Surf N Stream   Email Surf N Stream         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoaboy. This is Avadaru's mom here... And as for Toretha [Hail] I think I know pretty much where she's coming from and she certainly has all my approval [Smile] . After all, I drove with her and Jane all the way to Cape Girardeau to meet another jatraquero... about 11 hours for us. O.k., I did get to catch (and release) some trout along the way.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

quote:
Whoaboy. This is Avadaru's mom here... And as for Toretha I think I know pretty much where she's coming from and she certainly has all my approval . After all, I drove with her and Jane all the way to Cape Girardeau to meet another jatraquero... about 11 hours for us. O.k., I did get to catch (and release) some trout along the way
Dude, Toretha, my mom worships you. That's so cool. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink]
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Birmingham, Alabama?

That's right near me! Now I want to come even though I have NO IDEA what WenchCon is and always end up having to wait for DVD releases for good movies.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My classes resume on January 9th! [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

yes, Jane, I've been hiding my pervy-old-man-ness from you all this time! But I can no longer-I CONFESS! [Evil]

And thank you, Mrs. Paula [Blushing]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pervy old man! Too bad I won't be there. [Razz]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
mackillian,

What's your grad school field?

Mine was an MFA.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you wenches know this. Where's Rakeesh?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
He's been taken as a slave. They make him wear a brown jumpsuit.

I hope he's just been busy. [Dont Know]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.