Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » tivo

Author Topic: tivo
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here have a Tivo? If so, what model do you have, and do you know if you're able to move the video files over to another computer (not tivo)?
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We just got a DISH Network 508 receiver, which doubles as a ReplayTV. In just the three days we've had it, it's profoundly changed the way we watch TV. (Sadly, we can't send shows to other people without hacking the box.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who's a programmer, and he just built his own tivo. It's incredibly cool, much better than the real tivos. It's a small computer that he hooked up to his network/ server, so he can store the files on any of several computers, burn them to VCDs, and direct it from any computer in the world with an internet connection. It also doubles as an mp3 jukebox for the music on his other computers, hooked up the surround sound system. It makes me want to become a programmer. I'm so jealous.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed: while the recordability and stuff of the tivo are big features, based on talking to people who have it the biggest feature is it's totally integrated interaction with its carefully detailed and updated program guide (which is not publicly available).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what that's all about, but my friend has a complete built-in program guide. For example, he just told it to record all showings of Futurama. It's on a couple different channels and timess and he didn't tell it anything other than the name of the show, and it hasn't missed one yet. Is tivo's channel guide different than that?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth noting that you can build a media server without having to be a programmer. You just need to be computer literate. All the programs necessary are already written for you. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently staying with my in-laws who have a Tivo. Don't know the model, but I know they can't transfer anything to a computer.
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The All-in-Wonder cards from ATI (at least the higher end models) have a service for interactive program guides. My next PC will probably use that card, perhaps in one of the Shuttle sff cases which can just barely fit the larger AIW cards. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lerris
Member # 3530

- posted      Profile for Lerris           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the home media option may allow that, but I am not sure. You should check out the Tivo Community board at:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

I found that to be useful when I first got my Tivo. I would like my Tivo a whole lot more if my cable box was not a hunk of junk.

Lerris

Posts: 81 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.