FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What the frick is with the gas prices man??!

Author Topic: What the frick is with the gas prices man??!
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, a little over a week ago they were @ about 1.40 here, the next day they were @ 1.65 and today, after climbing they are at freaking 1.95! WTF is going on?! Didn't we win our little war for oil? Is OPEC boycotting us again? I feel like I missed something...
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Supply and demand. They demand that you supply them with more money.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, I have a horrible feeling that this is merely the gas companies realizing that since the mideastern turmoil has subsided, this is their last chance to raise prices artificially and be able to blame the fading Iraq problem without too much public outrage.

[Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there was a busted pipeline in Arizona that sent that state back to the 1970's as far as gas supplies go. There were lines, the whole bit. So a bunch of California and midwest gas is being rerouted to save those guys, and the price is being jacked up because stations in Arizona were willing to pay it, so the demand curve rose a bit.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday's power outage in chunks of the US and Canada resulted in quite a few refinery shutdowns. Ontario in particular very nearly ran out of gasoline as a result.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm vacationing in Washington and over the weekend, the price jumped ten cents. I thought that was a lot... Ouch!
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you are not in Arizona or the NE where problems have caused a temporary shortage, there is the big Labor Day weekend next weekend.

I believe that the Gas companies discovered if they shoot up gas prices up, say 10 cents, the week of a big travel holiday, people complain or don't go anywhere.

Instead, they shoot gas prices up 20 cents weeks before the big holiday, then drop it by 10 cents during the holiday weekend. People flock out to the gas stations to buy this "Cheap" gas, and take those last minute drives they had debated upon earlier, that they would not have taken if gas prices had jumped up that weekend.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to live in Texas. Link.

That's all.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas from the midwest is not being diverted to AZ. We have strict DEQ laws so that we have to use a special mix of gasoline (the governor may be issuing an order in the near future temporarily ignoring those standards to aleviate some of the problem). Part of the distribution problem, since there are no refineries in AZ, is that all the gas is processed before it gets here.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2003/08/04/daily2.html

[Grumble] [Cry]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There were lines, the whole bit
What's with the past tense? I was in line for 45 minutes at 3:30 this morning (I offered to fill up lusti's almost dry tank).

Coming home, the lines are just as bad as at 3:30. I saw lines that were half a mile at 7:30 (when I was at lunch).

I don't know when we'll see any relief, as they're just starting testing tonight, but they're hoping that it'll be over by the weekend.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.