FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column - DVDependent

Author Topic: New column - DVDependent
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
DVDependent
"Lately I've been bracing myself to endure three months of constant, hand-wringing angst. The DVD release of "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" is next Tuesday, but -- and this is important -- the expanded edition won't be available until November."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
You columns are just waaaaaay too funny Chris.

Keep 'em up!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it Chris. Just buy both. Then you can feel not inadaquate, but like you're over compsensating for something.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I may have a problem. I'm really looking forward to Wednesdays, lately. [Big Grin]

Another good one, Chris. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, i know *exactly* how you feel.

DVDs are the best things ever invented. Specifically because of all the special features that can now be included with movies.

Although multiple releases annoy the crap out of me. I have two Mementos, two Swingers, and i still need to get new releases of some others like The Princess Bride, Reservoir Dogs. Luckily I had the strength to hold out last year for the Extended Edition FOTR. I'll be doing the same this year.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I?d like to know what you are selling to get your DVD money. Sounds lucrative.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
No one in my immediate family drinks or smokes, but we do eat out too much and we buy way too many things like DVDs, doodads, and (in my case) little Simpson figures...

I also tend to get the bulk of my DVDs at pawn shops. Not as likely to find ones I'm specifically looking for, but much, much cheaper than new. Also I get newly released movies I really want right away, while they're still on sale.

I also recommend www.dvdpricesearch.com for a quick comparison shop.

[ August 20, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm right there with ya' Chris.

Where's my extra footage fix? [Mad]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

I used to get some DVDs from www.deepdiscountdvd.com

They have really good prices. Almost always cheaper than you can find in stores. And they have free shipping on all DVDs. So you're getting the cheaper online prices that a lot of sites have, but saving on shipping, which is what usually makes it not worth it.

Also, a couple places I always browse for cheap dvds. Blockbuster's used DVD section, Best Buy's $15 and under $10 and under racks, and the same at Wallmart.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

We get a lot of ours from used dvd stores.

Oh, and Ron has several simpsons geegaws in his office, and a wind-up Bender from Futurama. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey kid! Want to see something really scary?

Jeffrey Getzin's DVD Collection

BTW, I hate so-called "extras". I can't the thought of wasting precious bandwidth that could have been spent on providing better video or audio quality. Especially when the "extras" are trailers and "you might also like". Oh yes, nothing like sacrificing video quality to get free bonus advertisements.

And I really loathe animated menus. Darnit, I just want to see the movie. I don't want to see cute moving images from the movie (which are spoilers, anyway) that take six hours to run. Don't the stupid FBI warnings take up enough of my precious time? No, I want to pop the disc into the player and play the movie. Period.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

holy crap jeff, that's alot of movies.

I do really like your collection though.

I agree about some of those extras you hate. But stuff like director commentaries, making ofs, behind the scenes, etc...those are all awesome. Case in point, the LOTR:FOTR extended edition extras, are the coolest special features ever created.

And what a cool service!

*goes to sign up*

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Definitely got me beat, but not by as much as you might think.

By the way, so far you're the only person I've seen that, like me, had copies of My Dinner with Andre, Oscar, AND Quills along with everything else. Good man.

Your list reminded me, I want to pick up The Goodbye Girl, my video died some time back. But how could you miss The Addams Family?

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

I had it on laserdisc. Unfortunately, I needed the cash, so I sold my laserdisc player and collection of 85 or so laserdiscs. So "Addams Family" in on my list of must-replace.

BTW, if you think my DVD collection is sick, you should see my home theater ... It's no wonder that I'm not a rich man. [Frown]

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

BTW, "My Dinner With Andre" is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's spellbinding, which itself is a impressive enough, but to do so with such a meager premise ... incredible.

Jeff

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I agree. And I think I've seen your home theater - either you posted pics back in the day or it was just in the background. I just remember people commenting on it with hushed tones...
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas most people who comment on Jeff are talking about honed tushes. Or was that Bonduca? Can't remember now....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the extended and it's WELL worth the wait. AMAZING. All the additional footage just adds to an already wonderful movie. Sounds GREAT, looks GREAT. A definite for true fans
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a new medium and thus a new way to extort money out of already broke college students.

Chris, you and your fellow DVD junkies have now joined the ranks of us music junkies who have been buying import singles for B-sides and live versions for years. I own the song Beautiful Day on six separate CDs. It's evil.

The LoTR producers are just pulling a Pearl Jam on the fans.

And you think you're pathetic... I own 3 DVDs... and I don't even have a DVD player!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

quote:
I agree. And I think I've seen your home theater - either you posted pics back in the day or it was just in the background. I just remember people commenting on it with hushed tones...
It's gotten a lot better since then. [Big Grin]

Jeff

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but is your dog still reviewing movies?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Or was it a cat?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

It was a cat, and unfortunately the cat passed away after a rough illness. We have two new kittens now, but neither seem inclined to critique film.

Jeff

Kayla
Member # 2403

[Frown]
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

Hey Jeff, can you post pictures to it again?

I remember looking at the pictures when you posted them the first time. I'd love to see how it's come along. And i'm sure there's plenty of other tech geeks here who would be interested as well. [Smile]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Blockbuster is having a 25% off sale on pre-viewed movies. Just nabbed Adaptation and Spirited Away. Happy dance, happy dance...
Olivet
Member # 1104

They are also selling off VHS stock at less than the cost of a rental. A friend of ours bought a bunch and sent some home with Ron. So far, we've watched Tears of the Sun. It sucked, and the poor video quality din't help. How did we ever stand to watch video tapes?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But it's not uncontrollable. I've got rules that strictly limit which movies I purchase. First, is it a movie that I absolutely have to have on my shelf right now? Very few meet that lofty criteria, which is why I don't use it very often. (emphasis mine)
This made me laugh out loud. [ROFL]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

I haven't taken any recent photos of the rack, but here's my equipment list. The only corrections to this list are that I've recently sold my laserdisc player and that I've added another BassShaker.

Jeff

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like clutching my beloved VHS collection to my breast and sobbing in a corner. You will not take them from me! They are my babies!

They're mostly U2 videos or weird French films that I had to get converted from PAL. You'll have to wrench them from my cold dead fingers, fascists!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

(begins idling towards Jeff's living room, clutching a bootleg copy of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead...)

[ August 22, 2003, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

Ha! A conspiracy of cartographers will keep you from finding it!

Jeff

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

I'll try to get some updated photos in the next week or so.

Jeff

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.