FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looks like Depp WILL play Willy Wonka

Author Topic: Looks like Depp WILL play Willy Wonka
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.chud.com/news/aug03/aug20depp.php3

quote:
Johnny Depp's assault on mainstream popularity continues. His negotiations to star as Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's update of the children's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory continue apace, and it looks pretty much like a done deal.

I was originally against this idea in the last thread we had on this. but I'm starting to see the benefits of a Depp Wonka. I think he could do an extremely interesting job with it.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like having Depp as Wonka is a spin-off of the old Wilder-Wonka, and THAT seemed like a stretch to me, too. Wonka had quirks, but it's almost like they keep trying to put him across as certifiably insane. But of those guys are too weird to pull off what Wonka was supposed to be, IMHO.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a mistake.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

Wonka *is* certifiably insane.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know...the book made him wacky, but I'd never expect him to go crazy and kill anyone. BUT I might expect it of the Wilder character.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Roald Dahl did not create characters one would want to have living next to them, but good heavens, I love his work.

What is up with all these remakes, lately, though? There will be no other Willy Wonka for me than Wilder. Boy, is that movie ever creepy to watch as an adult!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
You always wondered whether Willy Wonka was this sadistic evil man, or this kindly neglignent candymaker. I think Depp will do a great job, though I wonder if he can sing like Wilder
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, people who are anticipating this movie can be expecting one of two things...a) for the Wonka to be Wilder-esque, or b) for the Wonka to be Book-esque. Johnny Depp will be neither of those. Wilder was languid in his insanity, kind of goofy and debonair. The book Wonka is a tiny man, bubbly, genius, and insane. Depp will be more...quietly manic. Illusively insane. You won't be able to tell straight away.

See, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is, first and foremost, a children's story, which means the characterizations....well, you don't exactly have to dig for them. Wilder gave a more-layered performance than the book denotes, but I have a feeling, with the right direction, Depp could give a multi-layered performance. I would love to watch the story if it was treated as if it wasn't this huge joke between the director and the audience. It'd be easier to love if they took themselves seriously. I thought the original took itself very seriously, but too many "kids" movies these days camp it up, cheese it out. Them signing Depp affords me some hope that they will be a little more adult with it. I'm glad of that [Big Grin]

[/end ridiculously unecessary dissection of story about chocolate]

[ August 20, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

*ahem*

[Big Grin]

[ August 20, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I heard this wasn't going to be a musical.

Please let it not be a musical.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha ha ha! Thank you for that link.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

aw, man, Strider!

you only started this thread so you could eventually link to your essay!

Shameless Self-Promotion!!

SHAMELESS!!

(it's not a musical, don't worry) [Wink]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

That's not true! The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. Well, maybe it crossed it, breifly...

it was only after reading words like these: "You always wondered whether Willy Wonka was this sadistic evil man, or this kindly neglignent candymaker" that I figured it was necessary. I mean, it was just begging to be done.

Leonide
Member # 4157

SHAMELESS!!
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

[Hat]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. No matter where I am when this comes out, I'll see it. If only for the experience [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I was reading another website about this and someone posted this comment.

quote:
STOP THE PRESSES! Tim Burton wants JOHNNY DEPP to be in one of his MOVIES?! What NEXT? Danny Elfman doing the score?
[ROFL]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

[ROFL]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Umpa Umpa Umpidy Do
I've got another riddle for you
Nine-Teen Seventy One is the year
When Willy movie first did appear.

Umpa Doompa Duppity De.
That makes the film almost older than me.
In human years its past thirty two
How much younger is Depp or are you?

[ August 20, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooompa Loompa Doobity Do
I’ve got the riddle’s answer for you

Ooompa Loompa Doobity Dee
This film is exactly the same age as me.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

There are so many things wrong with that other thread, I can't even name them all. Did anybody even read the book?
Leonide
Member # 4157

The other thread is a joke, PSI. he prefaced it by saying he was kidding and that he loved the movie...it wasn't even about the book.

The book's kinda kooky. Roald Dahl is kinda kooky. I always preferred James and the Giant Peach, myself. The Twits gave me nightmares. [Eek!]

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

I *did* read the book, and if you'll notice my WARNING at the top of the thread you'll see I addressed your concerns. [Smile]

Wow, you're fast Kira. Slow down and let me stick up for myself. [Razz]

[ August 20, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I guess I have to put one of these [Wink] at the end of all my threads, just so people will get me. [Wink]

I knew it was about the movie.

[ August 20, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, you're a youngin'! I had no idea. [Eek!]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

quote:
I guess I have to put one of these at the end of all my threads, just so people will get me.
obviously. Smilies were invented for just that explicit purpose.

I also don't know your sense of humor yet, so you'll have to forgive me for assuming you were just dense. [Wink]

[ August 20, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Umpa Doompa my Boomba, you whippersnappers! I was ten when the movie came out, and had all ready read the book. [Taunt]

I personally look forward to seeing how Burton handles Wonka. Burton knows how to create bizarre, other-worldly scenarios, as demonstrated in "A Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Beetlejuice." I think he will do an excellent job with Wonka.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
Wow, you're fast Kira. Slow down and let me stick up for myself.
i do what i please, y'hear? I stick up for mah man if'n i want to. dagnabbit.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing that Depp is now 40.

I found Wonka in the Books to be even scarier and weirder than Wonka in the Movie.

Wilder's Wonka always seemed to know what was going to happen-- he had this big secret and knew none of the kids was ever in any danger... knew they would all get themselves in trouble and mischeviously enjoyed saying "stop... don't... come back..." knowing full well no one would listen...

Kinda like God...

Wonka in the books (or, at least, the second one) is as agitated and frightened and comepletely unaware of what is about to happen as anyone else... and this frightens me-- no one was in control and it went from amusement park ride/fun house to dangerously insane situation precisely because no one was driving anymore...

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Andrew - dude, you're OLD. I thought you were in your early thirties.

And, while Gene Wilder remains one of my favorite comedic actors of all time, I think if you're gonna remake Willy Wonka you may as well put Johnny Depp in the role of Mr. Wonka. He's just weird and endearing enough to pull it off.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I remember hearing that Depp is now 40."

And?

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Tim Burton.

I love the Gene Wilder Wonka.

I love the book.

I see no contradictions happening here. And of course Wonka's a psycho. Who said children's lit had to be normal? I love the part Strider quoted in his rant:

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing?
Is a hurricane a-blowing?

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing?
Is the grisly reaper mowing?

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing!
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!

My mom always made us fast forward through that part, but being the spiteful brat that I am, I now watch it over and over on purpose.

BTW, I just re-read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but the only copy I have of it is in French. I love the fact that the "square candies that look round" joke translated fine. I was really worried about that.

[ August 20, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
On a tangent -

does anyone else hear Pure Imagination in Aerosmith's Jaded?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book long before I saw the movie (although I'm pretty sure I didn't see the movie until years after its premier). I found the movie to be a horrible disappointment and I still think that Wilder's portrayal of Wonka is dreadful. Depp couldn't possibly do any worse.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rabbit!! It's nice to see you!! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rabbit,
I saw the movie, um, in the theaters in the 70's, and it was so COOL that I attached Wilder as THE Willy Wonka in my brain.

You are right, though. The Willy Wonka in the book is much quirkier, but I never got the evil twinge from him that I did from Wilder.

Roald Dahl had a very sad childhood, and most of his characters seem like a child's nightmarish view of the adult world.

Ever read "The Landlady?" ow that is one creepy story.

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the book until years after seeing the movie--in fact, I didn't know it had ever been a book when I first saw the movie--so naturally I couldn't easily sever Wilder's Wonka from my conception of what was going on.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here's a link to "The Landlady"

http://www.heilmile.de/englisch/sek2/shortstories/thelandlady.html

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.