FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anyone dig Static-X??

Author Topic: Does anyone dig Static-X??
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I think I'm asking this of the wrong crowd. Not that we don't have a very eclectic group of people here. But I have noticed a trend among the intellectuals here, and that seems to be that you like music with a point. Well, the only point that Static-X makes is that their music rocks hard, they are amazing live, and you can feel the music in your guts. Heavy stuff anyone?

I saw them live in Phoenix. Even though there were two HORRIBLE bands before them, and even though they wouldn't turn Wayne's vocals up, it was the greatest live experience I've ever had.

Anyone else like these guys or heavy stuff in general?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my distortion thick and crunchy, but most nu-metal just doesn't do it for me. I do like heavy music, but my favourite heavy band, by far, is Tool. Early-to-mid Metallica gets my respect, too. I generally find that the stuff that gets marketed as heavy these days really isn't that heavy at all [Wink]

I haven't heard very much Static-X, but what little I've heard made me file them under nu-metal and dismiss them. Am I mistaken?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't really know what nu-metal is...can you give me a description? Does it mean that it sucks and isn't really heavy at all i.e. Linkin Park? [Wink]

added: static-x goods If you have real audio, take this link to their demos. I recommend you listen to "Get to the Gone." Most of their music is pretty fast like this.

[ August 20, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Linkin Park fall under nu-metal, but so do Korn and Slipknot.

The RealAudio files don't seem to want to play for me. RealPlayer claims it can't connect to the server. [Frown]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Okay I hate all three of those bands. Static-X is IMO very heavy, but it's also fast with quite a bit of programming in it. There are a couple of songs that I wouldn't recommend, but if you can get ahold of Machine , (the second album) start from the beginning and work your way through it. Prepare to cry from the awesome thumpy-ness of it.

My hubby just suggested that maybe you are a Sepultura/Pantera kind of guy. Is he right?

One more try Here's a link to the demos. Once again, try "Get to the Gone"

[ August 20, 2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, when I bought their last album it was so horrible that I was forced to Push It down the garbage disposal where it Bled for Days before finally dying.

[ August 20, 2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Duragon C. Mikado ]

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even heard of that band. But I'll take this opportunity to mention an awesome new band called kings of leon. You can hear some stuff in the audio section. There's also a nifty little behind the scenes movie.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Duragon- Are you talking about "Machine"? I hated that one at first too because it really wasn't anything like "Wisconsin Death Trip", which was my favorite. But after I had seen them in concert I gave it another try, and they meant more to me after that. By the way, I've heard what they will be releasing in October, and it's way better than "Machine". It's a little more like their "old skool" stuff.
twinky
Member # 693

Hm. It's okay, but not really melodically interesting enough for me. My favourite bands have songs that are challenging to learn (I play guitar). In the hard and fast vein, though, Slayer do what they do pretty well. But I also don't like Slayer very much, so it isn't really surprising that Static-X doesn't do it for me.

Pantera is a band I haven't listened to in a while, though I definitely used to enjoy them. Heavy + blazing guitar solos = good. [Smile]

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Static-X is my favorite metal band of recent memory. I too like Wisconsin Death Trip better than Machina. However Get To The Gone is one of the 2 tracks that reminds me of WDT...

Pantera/Sepultura are also good, but more like pulp for me, whereas Static-X never gets old.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, that's why I keep using "Get" as my example. On Machine I like "Black and White", and I also like "Cold" but that is entirely different kind of music really. I can't wait until the next album comes out...October 7!
twinky
Member # 693

I dunno. I can only listen to most heavy music for so long before it all starts to blend together. What metal needs is more melodic variety, in a big way.

Fortunately, I have Tool. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.