FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you wear a watch? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do you wear a watch?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, are you sure your best cell phone-loss story isn't the one where you lost your cell phone on a roller coaster.

Twice.

On the same rollercoaster.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a watch constantly, except for when I'm swimming. I sleep and shower with my watch on. I have a blindingly white space where my watch is, which is always commented on when I am swimming (being the only time people can see it).
Being a disorganized sort of person, my watch does not rule my life because I'm not really worried about being late. I just being the one with the time when no one else knows it. It must be something to do with power.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
i got it back one of those times.

and that's technically two stories that combine to quite an amusing overall story.

get your statistics right Watch-Wearer!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

It was the amusing overall story I was referring to.

Don't toy with me Watchless Wonder!

[No No]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being a disorganized sort of person, my watch does not rule my life because I'm not really worried about being late.
What is it with watch-wearers and their insistance that they're disorganized?

Us Time Piece Liberateds don't have to advertise that we're disorganized. We're comfortable in our disorganization. It's self-evident. [Razz]

[ August 21, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Is waiting for hansenj to post about her watch quirk.... *rubs hands together in anticipation* [Big Grin]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, you crack me up! [Big Grin]

I actually saw this thread just after it was posted, but I didn't have time to write up my quirk because I had to go to the dentist.( [Mad] )

Anyway, my watch thing is different than anyone I've met except my dad (we decided it's genetic [Wink] ). Oh where to begin...

First of all, I wear my watch everyday. When I forget to put it on in the morning I feel lost all day. It's not that I always need to know what time it is, I just always have to be able to find out what time it is at any point.

I not only can't sleep in my watch, but at some point every night I take off my watch because it becomes offensive to me. (That's the only word I can think of to describe it.) It's a different time every night, but it just happens. Suddenly I can't stand to have my watch on my wrist anymore. If I were to talk to my watch (which I don't [Wink] ) I would say something like "How dare you still be on my wrist!" It's actually quite aggravating. If it's particularly bad I'll literally throw my watch across the room. (Damander can testify to that one.)

Also, I never take off my watch when I'm taking a nap. It's probably because that way I won't sleep for more than a couple hours. But nap sleeping is definitely different that real sleeping. [Smile]

The other weird thing is that I take off my watch when I'm studying or doing homework, but I've found quite a few people who do that. I just take it off and set it next to the books or the computer or whatever.

[Embarrassed] Yeah, I'm weird...

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to always wear my watch. After a couple years, the strap broke, so I got a new one. Three weeks later, the new one broke. I got another new one. This one lasted, oh, a few months. From that point on, I've kept my watch in either my pants pocket or in my outside purse pocket.

I do own a cell phone, but it's one of those ghetto analog ones that don't tell time, don't take messages, and don't give you phone numbers for people who've called. It's basically worthless, except for emergencies (which, in retrospect, is exactly why I got it [Smile] ).

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear a watch, and I don't own a cell phone. And I like it that way, thanks very much.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, I'm a watchwearer (I have to, I have many appts I must keep) but I don't have any of the traits you listed for watch-wearers.

*confused*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
OH OH OH OH!!!!!

I just recently got a really nifty watch! The display is inverted, so the numbers are white instead of black, because the background is being displayed with the liquid crystal instead of the numbers. Looks really cool and impresses people. [Cool]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost every watch and cell phone I owned until my kids were born. Previous to this, I would wear a watch as an accessory and my cell phone, if not lost, always had a dead battery.

These days, the only time I am without my watch or cell phone is when both kids are with me.

I fear I am becoming an official watch-wearer. As proof, I apologized at least three times today for being disorganized. [Angst]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am time piece liberated.

I operate on a direct link with the earth's rotational rhythms.

I haven't worn a watch since 7th grade, yet I am anally organized and always 10 minutes early. To everything.

I recently acquired a watch from a moving-out roommate. I wear it, but only because I have it set on military time, and I'm trying to become adjusted to it so I can know what time 21:35 is without having to do any math. After I have fully converted to the 24-hour clock, I shall stop wearing it, which I look forward to since it is ugly and has a bulbous head.

My roommates and I talk about my watch's bulbous head quite often. It's very funny.

I also enjoy saying "Lumos," and then pushing the indiglo button.

However, I encourage all of you to LIBERATE YOURSELVES FROM WRIST SLAVERY! There are enough clocks in the world that you can glance from time to time and develop a sense for your cicadian rhythm (I know cicadian isn't the right word, but it sounds snazzy) and learn to tell your own time.

Free yourself from the bulbous head!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas! My poor watches! I knew them half past as well as I would have liked and only a quarter of which I didn't. I've lost them. I've dropped them. I've crushed them under foot looking for them after thinking I lost them and actually had only dropped them. I've made them stop, and no matter how much winding I do they just won't tick again. I've tried a digital one, hoping I would fair better with electronics (the lcd face cracked). I've even tried a pocket watch because I thought the curse was only with wrist watches. Nope... the curse continued. [Wall Bash]

I just have to admit it. Watches and me just can't get along. [Dont Know]

However, I do have luck with clocks in cellphones and timers on vcr's. They have not failed me, yet.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Live near somewhere with a bell tower. You'll never need a timepiece again.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazer King
Member # 4580

- posted      Profile for Lazer King           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a watch sometimes. [Wink]

[ August 22, 2003, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Lazer King ]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

"Lumos..."

Holy gosh! Why am I not in bed yet???

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know I'm not the only one who loses watches. I usually remember all my other assorted accessories but the watch always manages to disappear. I gave up even trying my senior year of High School. Now time only exists in other people's minds... [Razz]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
With a watch I am often late, and constantly lose track of time. I shudder to think what I would be like without one!
quote:
Watch-wearers are the people that complain about how disorganized they are as they have yet to alphabetize their cereal boxes. They schedule in recreation. They're usually five minutes early for everything (I mean, not by accident) and they get anxious when it's been three thousand miles and they haven't had the oil changed.

Uh, nope, nope, I wish!, and a definite nope.

But my watch does have a calculator in it, so I can figure out which size of cereal to buy at the supermarket. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Mack, rivka - Bah! I don't buy it for a second.

Christine - In my heart you will always be a Time Piece Liberated. [Razz]

Annie - You're a watch-wearer. Actually wearing the watch is neither here nor there.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

quote:
I am time piece liberated.

I operate on a direct link with the earth's rotational rhythms.

I encourage all of you to LIBERATE YOURSELVES FROM WRIST SLAVERY!

Did this make anyone else think of this?

Question though. Ralphie, is he the champion of our cause or our nemesis? I can't figure it out.

[ August 22, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ouch - that site hurt my head.

Maybe if I, too wrote in a REALLY BIG FONT people would listen to my inane, disorganized babble too. I shall look into that.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Watch-wearers are the people that complain about how disorganized they are as they have yet to alphabetize their cereal boxes. They schedule in recreation. They're usually five minutes early for everything (I mean, not by accident) and they get anxious when it's been three thousand miles and they haven't had the oil changed.

They're fascinating, exotic creatures and one of them makes my insouciant lifestyle possible. I appreciate watch-wearers, even if I don't quite understand them.

I've never felt more accurately described by a general statement. I wear a watch. While awake I synchronize my watch with the official U.S. time on the hour, every hour. However, I've noticed that the java applet at that site is only accurate to a few hundredths of a second and the possibility of error vexes and worries me. I wear my watch centered on my arm exactly 1.80 inches from the end of my tibia (I use a micrometer for bi-hourly checks [still, I'm a little worried about the precision offered by that instrument so I'm saving up for a laser rangefinder]).

I carry my cell phone with me everywhere, and it is always on. I still use the first phone I ever got, because the thought of the downtime involved in switching the SIM card to a new phone is too horrifying to contemplate. This is mildly inconvenient, as my phone only barely fits in my backpack and weighs 76.3 pounds, but it's a small price to pay for connectivity. The off button is so underused that it has now completed the process of petrification. The battery has become so worn out that it no longer holds a charge and I have to carry a portable gasoline-powered generator with me at all times. I keep my phone on in movies, restaurants and funeral homes, with the ringer at the maximum volume and the vibrating alert and flashing lights enabled. I take my phone with me to bed, to the pool, to the beach and in the shower. I don't sleep through the night because I wake up every half hour to check to see if I missed any calls.

I honestly have no idea how anyone could live with unalphabetized cereal boxes. In fact, my cereal boxes are also color- and size-coordinated. I get a complete oil and filter change every 65 miles when I get home from work; it's better safe than sorry. I vacuum between the keys on my keyboard at the beginning and end of every work day. At any given time my pockets contain my cell phone, my keys, my wallet, Listerine Flash Strips, hand sanitizer, a full setting of silverware, a Red Cross-certified first aid kit complete with automatic external defibrillator, three pens (black, blue and red), two sharpened #1.5 pencils, a pencil sharpener, a collection of spices, contact lens solution (I don't wear contacts), eye drops, nasal spray, laxatives, antacid and a condom (I have a lot of pockets).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've just noticed that someone has used one of my #2 pencils and put it back in the jar that has the #1.5 pencils. I'll have to completely reorganize my entire drafting set.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

ok, sax, i think you atleast deserved a [Big Grin] or maybe even a [Hat]

[ August 22, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon: [Hat] [Hat] [The Wave] [Hat] [Hat]

I wear a watch and am copmletely ruled by time, thank-you very much. [Wink] I always arrive early, I get really anxious when I think I'm not going to make it (if I'm ever late to go somewhere, make sure your no where near). I update my computer clock to the atomic every day or so using a program called NistTime and set my watch to the computer around once a week. When someone asks me the time I read it off to the nearest second.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

[ROFL] [ROFL] <-Saxon

although Hobbes reading off the time to the second is pretty [Laugh] as well. [Wink]

[ August 22, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I am strangely haunted by the "cicadian rhythm" outside my window in the summer time. [Smile]

Yes, I wear a watch and, yes, I own a cell phone.

My cell phone I use almost exclusively for work. I turn it on when I head to work in the morning and turn it off when I get home. It carry it in my pocket or put in my cupholder (when I am driving between sites). On the weekends it usually stays off (unless I need to go somewhere and am expecting a family member to call me).

I put on my watch when I go to work in the morning and I take it off when I get home. I sometimes wear it on the weekends while running errands (if I have a schedule I need to keep).

I like having a watch in addition to a cell phone, because I often need to time tests that are running at work and it is a pain to contantly pull the phone out of my pocket and open it to see what time it is. I also need my watch to tell me at a quick glance the date so I can write it on my paperwork (again without the hassle of removing the phone from my pocket and opening it).

[ August 22, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Mike - Okay, I deserved that one.
saxon75
Member # 4589

[Big Grin]

Ya know I loves ya, kiddo.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wouldn't wear a watch? *Staggers backwards* You mean walk around w/o having any sense of time besides that of the sun? I'm just kidding. Although I do always wear a watch. However, I tend to swim with my watches on and you know what happens to the curious watch. You would think that after enough times, I'd remember to take it off. [Wall Bash]
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a cheap, $8 sports watch that I picked up this summer for camp. I never take it off. I swim in it and shower in it and sleep in it. The showering part helps keep it from stinking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I always wear a watch, because I always like to know what time it is. If I forget to put my watch on in the morning, I feel lost all day.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
although Hobbes reading off the time to the second is pretty [Laugh] as well.
It's be funnier to me if it weren't true. [Wink] [Cool] [ROFL]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a watch constantly, not because I am organized, but because I am utterly disorganized. I know, I know, we all say that, but in my case it is true. My home has dirty clothes all over the floor; the entire couch is filled with things I didn't put away, as are several chairs and my computer table.

Nor do I have any appreciable circadian rhythm. I literally cannot tell the difference between five minutes passing and an hour passing--I must look at a clock to tell this. This was true even before I began to work nights; now I do not even know what day it is half the time. It drives me crazy that Cracker Barrel will not let me wear a watch while I wash dishes; I cannot tell how much longer I have to work, which drives me loopy. (There are clocks on the walls, but I can't see them from where I'm usually standing. It's when things are at their worst and I can't move a step from my position without plates crashing to the floor that I most want to know when I can go home.)

Therefore I wear a watch whenever remotely possible (and allowed)--swimming, showering, in bed--always. (Though otherwise clearheaded immediately on waking, I have been known to get up in the middle of the night because I thought it was time to get ready for work or school.)

My watches have typically rewarded me by living long, healthy lives, albeit not without occasional repairs. I wore one particularly long-lasting watch for over ten years through two watchbands, perhaps three. Unfortunately, I eventually forgot to remove it before going into the water at a lake. I took it off first, then replaced it when I got out, and later returned to board a canoe. The canoe toppled over, my watch (as well as myself) was soaked, and soon thereafter a black digital stain began spreading across its face. Still, I wore it for another year or so before the stain reached far enough that I could no longer tell the time and I had to buy another.

One is always a slave to time, but wearing a watch will help one avoid beatings.

"The enemy's gate is down...in fact, the whole gate system is down! Is there an electronics technician around?"

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dannyXcore
Member # 5332

- posted      Profile for dannyXcore   Email dannyXcore         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't wear a watch, and I don't own a cell phone. And I like it that way, thanks very much.
quote:
The watch is the shackle of death.
...same goes for the cellphone... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 146 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ravenclaw
Member # 4377

- posted      Profile for ravenclaw           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad bought me a watch for my birthday and it was stolen at 6 flags like 3 weeks later :'(
Posts: 252 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] saxon75.

"Anal? Ha! That's a polite word for what you are"
-Annie Hall

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I've owned plenty of them, but I never feel motivated to wear one very often. I'll start, and then one morning I'll forget to put it back on and suddenly realize I haven't seen it in three months.

I do have a black leather watch I keep for sentimental reasons and wear when I dress up, but that's mostly for the pun.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a watch and have a cell phone. Always good to have both! And my watch is also half jewlery...it's one of those really super cool solid metal band watches. So cool!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear wristwatch all the time, except for when I am asleep and home (have clock in every room to check time). I would go crazy if I didn't wear my watch. I also carry cell phone, actually 2 cells phones (one of them is business). Used to hate cell phones, but became to like them [Smile]
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
How random. This Sho'nuff guy seems pretty cool. Wonder why he doesn't post more.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

[Roll Eyes]

[Cool]

[Kiss]

saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
This Sho'nuff guy seems pretty cool. Wonder why he doesn't post more.
He's probably a little busy getting beat up by Bruce Leroy.

-----------------

So, it's been like 8 months since I wrote that post and I just realized that there's an error in it that no one ever pointed out. Five points to whoever finds it first.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the pocket that holds your cell phone must be fairly large . . .

And why the heck is your watch on your LEG?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
And why the heck is your watch on your LEG?
Five points.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.