FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is that SOUND? (or, frightened guinea pigs)

Author Topic: What is that SOUND? (or, frightened guinea pigs)
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
So for the past week and a half, my Dad has been working on installing new floor molding, doors, windows, and any number of other random things he has to get done before the house can be refinanced.

However, in the midst of putting in new door trim, we discovered something. A rather odd sound was coming from the guinea pigs' room-a bird chirping? Crickets? No! It's our 3-year-old guinea pigs, Beep and Blip! [Eek!] They were making this really odd sound that was not a squeak, and not a grunt. They were making this really odd whistle sound kinda like a bird-chirp.

Why were they making it? We figure that they didn't like the sound of the nail gun.

Anybody else out there have any stories about their pets making weird sounds? [Big Grin] Come on, lets hear it!

[ August 24, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: BelladonnaOrchid ]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My pet tiger Hobbes (pictured here) talks to me, does that count? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ August 24, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see he keeps such good company, Hobbes. [Smile]

That is so bizarre - I can't imagine a guinea pig making that noise.

The weirdest animal noise I've ever heard is a mountian lion scream - it sounds just like a woman. Freaky.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes~no that doesn't count. Or at least, I'm pretty sure it doesn't if he was a human in a past life. [Big Grin]

Annie~It was the first time we've EVER heard them make that noise. And your noise does count as a weird noise. Aren't there some owls that make that sound too? [Eek!]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else ever heard a rabbit scream? Yikes! [Eek!]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The guinea pig's grunt is a happy noise that is okay as long as you're being gentle with it. If it is squealing in response to a specific noise, it has come to associate the noise with something it wants i.e., our little guy used to make a high squeal when we messed with his food bag...he could hear it and thought he was being fed. Both noises are probably ok...don't be too worried.

added: are you sure it is both guinea pigs? Make sure it isn't just one...if it is, there's a slight chance you have an injured guinea pig.

[ August 24, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

Nah, it's both. They don't like the sound of the nail gun my Dad is using. The noise they make is nothing like their happy grunt. I have noticed that over the years Beep and Blip will start screaming any time that a plastic sack is rattles near them, thinking it's food or a treat. Such spoiled little buggers!
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have guinea pigs, and one of them had this squeal she would do in short bursts. It was really loud and sounded kind of like a car alarm. She did it at seemingly random times.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.