FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » But Utah does have some good points

Author Topic: But Utah does have some good points
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
From there to here:

http://www.sltribune.com/2003/Aug/08242003/arts/arts.asp

quote:
Card, who lived in Utah before moving to North Carolina a few years ago, says he's not surprised to find Mormons interested in the genre. "We have no qualms about the idea of life on other planets, faster-than-light travel, ancient 'lost' civilizations, supernatural events with natural explanations," he told The Salt Lake Tribune in an e-mail message. "We view all problems as solvable, and regard human nature as being fundamentally good and humans as capable of far more, intellectually and morally, than we have yet seen in history. These are attributes of mainstream science fiction, so Mormons are comfortable in that milieu.
"However, the reason is really deeper than this. . . . Science fiction allows writers to deal with all the most powerful, troubling and/or difficult religious, moral and cosmological issues. Where else can you write apocalyptic, eschatological, epistemological and redemptive fiction with any kind of clarity?"

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to be demeaning, but somehow I think OSC is stroking himself a little in the above passage, although I think it is somewhat true.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Why do you think he is stroking himself in that? Seriously?

Because he just made a statement about what he is passionate about. A statement he was asked for? How do you expect someone, who is a good writer renowned for difficult moral dilemas in speculative fiction, when asked for an opinion about why Mormons appear to have a leaning towards speculative ficiton, to answer?

Do you seriously think, when he said that, that he was thinking "I'm going to say something that makes me sound bloody brilliant."

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he did use the word "eschatological." [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Hmm, you have a point there.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that an unusual word? I never realized it was. In my family growing up, the scatalogical and the eschatological were everyday subjects. [Smile]

[ August 25, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Science-fiction and fantasy authors "are really asking important questions, but they look more like entertainment," said Chip Ward, who heads the Utah Center for the Book. "If you're not used to that genre, it's hard to know if it's really serious or not."

[Wall Bash]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.