FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The exception that proves the rule

Author Topic: The exception that proves the rule
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't totally understand this concept. And I don't think I've ever seen a specific example that's cleared it up for me, or proven it so to speak.

So if anyone can help me wrap my head around this one, or give me an example of one, I'd be most appreciative.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-exc1.htm
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Gustav Jung, Synchroniciteit .

(Not that I understand it after reading it but it does give a clue)

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

ahhh...Thanks Kayla. While he did lose me there for a bit in the middle, I do understand this:

quote:
So, in its strict sense, the principle is arguing that the existence of an allowed exception to a rule reaffirms the existence of the rule.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

quote:
We think of it as meaning some case that doesn’t follow the rule, but the original sense was of someone or something that is granted permission not to follow a rule that otherwise applies.
i think this is where my problem was. I couldn't figure how finding something that didn't follow a rule, proved that very rule.

I was looking at it the wrong way...

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea behind the phrase is that no rule made by man is ever 100% accurate. There will always be an exception/

For example, Men like football more than woman is a rule of life. My wife loves football. I find it boring. That is the exception that proves the rule.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

Dan, isn't the way you just used it there the incorrect usage of the phrase?

how does that exception prove the rule?

wouldn't that only work if the rule was "Men like football more than women, except for Dan and his wife(because Dan is a girly man [Razz] )

in your case, every woman who likes football more than a man is an exception that proves that rule. That doesn't make sense.

[ August 25, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

or am I still looking at it wrong?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it was explained quite well in the link. [Razz]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

bah...I've lost the will to care!

[Razz]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
But since the meaning of exception in the original context of the phrase is now obsolete, why didn't the phrase drop out of use as well?
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You expect too much of the English language to assume that obsolete phrases or usages will be weeded out. That's just not how language generally works...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially not English, which is a crazy blend of Romance and Germanic languages.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, a crazy blend of Nordic, Germanic, Latin, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, AmerIndian languages...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a crazy blend is all... Nothing else to say than that.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.