FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV on DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TV on DVD
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I recognize that the studios are now determined to release DVD box sets of every show that has ever been on TV, and I'm fine with that. But they've finally gone too far. When will it end? Oh, the humanity.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet not far enough; they've been promising to make a complete set of The Dick Van Dyke Show for multiple years now and haven't done it. [Mad] [Cry] [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG.

That is SOO not worth the plastic it's pressed into.

But TV on DVD isn't always a bad thing. You get to pick what you watch, if you're willing to wait a year or so.

Ron and I have been watching 24 one disc at a time from Netflix. It totally fell apart at the end of the last episode we watched. [Roll Eyes] Amnesia, my @$$! It was going so well, too. The writers sould be shot.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I think this rocks! Saved by the bell was the best. Even after graduating college and being out in the "real" world, i'd still wake up early to catch reruns of it before work.

Second, it says seasons 1 & 2, but the picture on the box has Kelly and Slater, and no Mikey and Nikki(right?). So they're starting from grade 9? What happened to grade 8? I loved that season. Halley Mills was awesome. And remember the janitor? Milo. He rocked too.

While still a great show aferwards, the first season was classic.

Damn you all for not liking Saved by the Bell. What's wrong with you?

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I don't know where they're starting, and I don't care. But I do know that the season with Haley Mills was called "Good Morning Miss Bliss", and it was only changed to "Saved By the Bell" after it was ditched by the Disney Channel. Maybe that's why.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to choose between Saved by the Bell and poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick...well, the pain from the stick would go away...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that TV on DVD is great. I've been catching all the shows I'd otherwise have to order HBO for by renting them on DVD from Netflix. Granted I get them a season or so behind, but that's no problem for me, anyway.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, as far as your link, i reiterate your comment: "Oh, the humanity!"

But, as we have no real reception in this radio well I like to think of as home, regular viewing just isn't possible for us. Recently we were able to purchase Dune and Children of Dune by the Sci-Fi channel, and it provided over 12 hours of blissful CTR entertainment!

I also saw Speed Racer down at Wal-lyworld! All I can think of is--"look out Speed! AH! OHH! AAH!" (great english translation, eh?) [Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to buy the Firefly DVD box set [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! That would be the way to see it. I hate commercials!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I plan to buy the Firefly DVD box set
Me too. [Big Grin]

And one of my roommates has bought the first two seasons of Futurama on DVD, and it's great to be able to watch those episode as much as I want.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the sports night series on dvd and the first season of twin peaks. I just wish they would release the second season, but it doesn't look like they will anytime in the future.

It seems stupid to me to release one and not the other. I guess I'll just keep hoping.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and I bought the Saved By the Bell trivia game at a garage sale last summer to be funny... it wasn't so funny 3 hours later when we had gone through the entire stack of questions and missed 2.

Bonus points:
Which band were the gang waiting to buy tickets for when they camped out in the mall?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
Why hasn't anyone before me mentioned the Simpsons season DVDs out there?? Those sets are a godsend. Especially for someone who likes some of the older episodes best.

[Hail] Homer

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

When I was in Oregon, I found an old copy of a Saved By the Bell book called "That Old Zack Magic." I sent it to my little sister for her birthday. Fortunately, I didn't have time to read it.

I also bought Twin Peaks season 1 on DVD. I saw the series on video, and it's one of the best things that has ever been on television. The season one DVD was extremely well done, but I too am getting a little annoyed at the lack of a season 2. When an entire series tells a single story, one ought not to be allowed to stop after releasing the first season. I also got the truncated version of the pilot, but I had to import that from Hong Kong, as it did not come with the Season 1 set.

And, speaking of The Simpsons, I have the first three seasons on DVD also. Season 3 came out today, and I've already seen several episodes. I love how they do them. As many episodes on a disc as possible, and crammed with special features. I wish everyone would do that.

The other TV box sets that I have are: Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Mr. Bean, Black Adder, Wallace and Gromit, and Red Dwarf. Can anyone tell that I enjoy the occasional British comedy? I also have Futurama and about 10 or 15 episodes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Those things were made for DVD.

But I'll never get Saved By the Bell, so there. [Razz]

[ August 27, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget M*A*S*H*, four seasons are out and the fifth is on the way!
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and I watch Saved by the Bell every morning before school, it's tradition. I love Saved by the Bell, but I like the high school years better. The box set is definitely a great idea.

~~Irish~~
[Party]

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

We have the Monty Python set, The Simpsons and Futurama on dvd.

I also have seasons 1-4 of the X-files. I've been re-watching season five through Netflix. I had forgotten how totally hot Alex Krycek is... I might have to sneak around and buy it anyway.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the purchases on my "When I Have Some Extra Money" list include Star Trek: TNG and Band of Brothers on DVD so that I can reclaim some of the shelf space that is being wasted on the episodes taped from TV. A buddy of mine recently got the first two seasons of the Family Guy on DVD, which is pretty freaking sweet as well.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yeah, I have all of babylon 5 on tape, and look forward to getting some space cleared out:)
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad. I bought the first two seasons, couldn't stand it, and want to get rid of the tapes. Maybe I'll try eBay.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody else as excited as me about Friends being on DVD? I only have seasons 1 and 2 but fully intend to have all of them at some point.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Jeff - I hope you are not talking about B5!

[Wink]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

Absolutely. Couldn't stand that show; possibly because I'd been led to have very high expectations of it. Whatever the reasons, I found that forcing myself to watch the first two seasons was pure masochism on my part, so I gave it up.

Your mileage may vary.

Want some B5 tapes?

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

LOL

The B5 show... well, the acting wasn't too great. But it was neat in that it had a plan, and it rewarded people with half a memory.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Nah. I'm getting the DVD's. [Big Grin]

I could see someone not liking it - the acting is uneven, as Olivet mentioned - but there was something compelling about it. The aliens were cool, the story was different (with the 5 yr arc and all), and we weren't always the good guys! Seemed more realistic to me. Especially if we don't change much between now and when we do make it to space. The goody-goody nature of Trek gets dull after a while, you know?

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

I'm a huge fan of "Blake's 7", though even that had its share of stink-bomb episodes (mostly in the third season). It too had a story-arc, though nothing as pronounced as B5.

I do respect B5's long-term vision, but I feel they should have paid more attention to the short term: better writing, better acting, better directing. The ironic thing is that I thought that the guy who played Garibaldi (spelled correctly?) was one of the better actors; apparently, he wasn't a professional and only tried out for the part on a lark. The others could take a page from him.

Maybe the show improved. Certainly, the second season was a lot better than that abyssmal first season, but not good enough to hold my interest. Maybe now that I'm in NetFlix, I may try renting a season here or there and see if it continues to get better.

Jeff

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
how come no one's mentioned The Prisoner?

Great show. And on DVD now.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would *like* to own the six seasons of Deep Space Nine that are available on DVD (with the seventh slated for a December release), but I really can't justify spending the $690 it would cost to get all of them. I'm just stunned that it's that expensive.

Maybe my library has them; I'll have to check.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Indeed...don't judge by the first season! I certainly wouldn't judge ST:TNG by the first season either. ::shudders:: The second through the fourth are the best, IMO, but if you don't like it, no biggie. [Smile] I've always been a big fan of seeing the political machinations as well as the big explosions, which is where B5 is at it's most fun. Lots of manipulators out there trying to bend things in a direction to suit them.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't keep up with B5 after I got to college, but what I recall was that the show didn't even start to get good until Bruce Boxleitner came on the show and a lot of the really interesting stuff didn't happen until even later.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

They are expensive...but remember, you are usually getting 4 to 6 DVD's ($15 a piece) or 20-26 hours of entertainment.

Anyway, I'm asking for the ones I want for Christmas. [Wink]

Olivet
Member # 1104

The guy who played Garibaldi was an investment broker. And you're right, he was the best actor on the show (at least the best regular). I heard him speak at a con my sister dragged me to once, and he was really funny.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I has never heard of The Prisoner until my friend made me watch it on DVD. She said "Oh, you'll love it - it's totally weird." I must admit, it was great.

Why do so many people preface reccommendations to me that way?

And when I get rich, I might buy ST:TNG, but that's all.

You know what they should have on DVD? Reading Rainbow, 321 Contact, and Square One. I would buy them all.

[ August 27, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently Netflixing Babylon 5, Farscape, Queer as Folk, From the Earth to the Moon (miniseries), and 24. I will probably add Band of Brothers to the queue soon. I find I'm enjoying the TV shows I get from Netflix much more than the movies. Not sure why.

DVDs I plan to buy:
Buffy seasons 3-7
Angel, all seasons
Farscape, all seasons
Firefly

TV shows I would buy if they were ever released on DVD: MacGyver, Northern Exposure, and Relativity (well, the pilot, at least)

By the way, Amazon.com has sold out of their Firefly preorders. Guess that means the demand was much, much higher than they expected.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Northern Exposure. I would definitely buy the entire series on DVD. It is quite possibly my favorite show ever.

Most other series that I would buy on DVD are on TV everyday. Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy.

I would buy Red Dwarf, but I haven't heard any news about it coming out on DVD. Hopefully the upcoming movie will be successful enough to launch a release.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

It might be available in the UK, in which case you can buy an el-cheap multi-format (PAL/NTSC) DVD player and then buy the discs from Amazon.co.uk. That's what I did with "28 Days Later".

Jeff

Speed
Member # 5162

Red Dwarf? You can get the first two seasons on DVD already. I got them the day they came out, and I'd been waiting for almost a year by that time. They're amazing. Great special features. They'll be releasing two seasons at a time in America ever February until they get them all. I love Red Dwarf. Maybe my favorite series ever.

[ August 27, 2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Groovy.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Equality 7-2521
Member # 5586

- posted      Profile for Equality 7-2521   Email Equality 7-2521         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why hasn't anyone before me mentioned the Simpsons season DVDs out there??
I just ordered the simpson's season 3!
Anyone ever hear of a release of MacGyver (sp?)?

Equality 7-2521

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ron and I have been watching 24 one disc at a time from Netflix. It totally fell apart at the end of the last episode we watched. Amnesia, my @$$! It was going so well, too. The writers sould be shot.
Don't worry, Olivet. Midafternoon, Season 1 is the only not-so-great part. It gets better again. And Season 2 gets even better. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also have seasons 1-4 of the X-files.
[Eek!] [Eek!]

[Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The only series I (currently) have on DVD is Cowboy Bebop. Mmm... Cowboy Bebop. I'd like to get Dune and Children of Dune on DVD, too. I slogged through the books, so I figure I've earned it.

I only wish that Scifi would do a miniseries based off of the excellent excellent Bulterian Jihad. I just finished it today and they've got me hooked like some sort of crack-addicted monkey! I want the next book! Now dammit!

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about buying some of the Star Trek DVDs when they came out. However, I'm a poor college student now and I can't justify paying $140 for one season of TNG. I'll probably rent it sometime.

And I would also love to watch Square One and 3-2-1 Contact again. Ah, childhood memories, when educational TV was good...

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Red Dwarf on DVD.

Smeg. I must have it....

:pads off again to Amazon:

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Jane, That's how I talked Ron into Netflix-- I told him, look, I won't have to buy the rest of the x-Files. [Smile] I bought them used, but they were still about fifty smackers a season. I'm... stupid. [Dont Know]

I'll take your word on the 24 season, though. It certainly can't get any worse. Maybe it was just that Ron started heckling as soon as she swooned. Then when she got up, looking all confused he said, "Wait! This isn't my usual dirt-eating spot!" And then, "She'll have amnesia." It was good for a laugh. [Smile]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like Star Trek and X-Files on DVD, but I think they're charging twice as much as they should be since they know they have a built-in audience that will pay it. I'll pick them up used when the opportunity arises, but I ain't paying that much money for one season of anything.

Got Simpsons and Futurama and M*A*S*H and went in half with my brother-in-law for Buffy (he wants them, I just wanted to watch them all once, it seemed fair), and I'll be getting Firefly and possibly Cheers soon. Too many good DVD's coming out this fall!

TV DVD wish list: Black Adder, Monty Python, Red Dwarf, The Tick, Police Squad!, and the inevitable Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, just to see what extras are included [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I got so excited the other day...I saw an ad for The Tick on DVD!

Turns out it's the live action show. ::sigh::

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dickvandykeshow.com/
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You'll practice me. What does that mean? Is it supposed to be some sort of threat?
Yes? [Dont Know]
Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.