FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to the guy who works at La Paz

Author Topic: Welcome to the guy who works at La Paz
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually only newbie fish in parachat but today I happened to talk to a guy in real life who just seemed like someone who ought to be a hatracker, you know what I mean? So I newbie fished him too. So I just wanted to tell him welcome, in case he checks us out tonight after he gets off work.

I'll make the thread a general welcome to all newbies, as well, so as not to waste it in case he blows us off. [Smile]

Also an introduction to the topic of newbie fishing in general, if anyone wants to comment on that. I think newbies are great and they liven up things an awful lot. I think actively encouraging them makes the forum a much more interesting place.

Parachat seems to be the place I've been most successful at newbie fishing. I've never once invited anyone in real life, though occasionally I meet people I think would make great hatrackers, and had them actually stay long. At least not that I know of. I'm sort of envious of those of you who have.

Does anyone else work to actively invite new people, either online or in real life? If so what approach do you recommend? Have you been successful?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
hook, line and sinker....

I think I might have to look into this new pasttime that Anne Kate shines so well at.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
ak, were you ever a missionary of any sort? You sound good at the whole 'make the contact, build the relationship of trust, and CONVERT' thing. [Wink] That's awesome. I do agree with you that newbies are helpful in getting us to discuss old topics and think about them in new ways at times. I'm all about trying to get everyone that signs on to hatrack to STAY and become part of the community. It's the best one on the internet. [Hat]

And welcome to the guy who works at La Paz. [Big Grin]

[ August 27, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate at camp was reading the Brincess Bride so I knew she'd be cool but then we were drawing and she drew Trogdor, that clinched it. I asked her if she had read any of OSC's stuff and she said she had and liked it. I told her to come here but I haven't seen her yet...

*goes off to find her e-mail*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Outsiders!?! Never!

These strangers will ruin our way of life. Good Jatraqueros, gather in the town square at sundown, we shall drive this menace from our wholesome community.

PS: Don't forget your pichforks and torches.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm responsible for a few members, most notably Deidre and Mr. Flibbles.

The n00b StigLarson is ALL me, baby.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I also like to try to get lurkers or old posters to come BACK. Like the guy who introduced me to hatrack, he's a REAL oldie and I don't even know what his screen name was. He periodically lurks and never ever posts. Now I'm the one sending HIM links to the news and funny threads. I would love it if he would come back once in a while and grace us with his wisdom. Same goes to everyone else that lurks a lot and doesn't post. Hatrack would be a better place WITH you all!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Narnia, no, I've never served a mission. I almost referred to newbie fishing using that metaphor, in fact. Perhaps we should organize hatrack missions, do you think? <laughs> We could go tracting in coffeeshops and bookstores to find new jatraqueros to invite, but I thought there was an unfortunate connotation associated with that word that might imply we want something from them. <muahahahahahah> [Evil Laugh]

It's really more like in college when you meet interesting new people here and there around campus, in class, or people who live near you, maybe, and invite them to the gatherings of your group of friends. It's more a social thing, don't you think? Though I'm never averse to making converts for my various worldsaving projects, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(plans on newbie-fishing during school)

Contributing to the cause!!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Ah hahahah! Come with me, my little ones, and I will make you fishers of newbies! <rubs hands in glee>
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Evil Laugh] [ROFL] [Evil Laugh]
ak
Member # 90

<bumps to keep on first page for one night>
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have managed to recruit 2 different people, and I think a couple more are on the way...

Was that your question?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish someone had recruited me. I tried going to the parachat thing, but nobody is in there. Luckily there are people in the AIM chat. So I guess I'm welcoming myself.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Chade....(dramatic pause)...WELCOME!! [Hail] We're glad you're here. [Wink]
ak
Member # 90

Yes, Chade, welcome! [Smile] Sorry there were no fishers in parachat while you were there. We'll have to split it up and start taking shifts. <grins>
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Narnia's evil smilies look like they're playing ball with some poor laughing smilie's severed head.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dannyXcore
Member # 5332

- posted      Profile for dannyXcore   Email dannyXcore         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heh. Narnia's evil smilies look like they're playing ball with some poor laughing smilie's severed head.
HAHA, I htought the same thing. <3
Posts: 146 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

Thanks for the welcome, particularly the dramatic pause. It was well executed.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Your welcome. The evil head playing ball with the severed head is my new trademark. [Smile] Nobody can steal it... [Evil Laugh] [ROFL] [Evil Laugh] or else. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very Fair and Balanced of you Narnia!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
In light of the recent court ruling, that was hysterical, Noemon! Obscure, but hysterical.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

That was obscure?
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
AK, I think I had best stay away from newbie fishing. My attempts to recruit people to any organization have always ended with mob activity....
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I warned you it was dangerous! [Eek!]
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice topic ak. I haven't had much success in conversion to Hatrack. People who would be fun to have here haven't bitten.

What am I doing wrong? I think that they have a preconception of BBS's that supercedes what I might state.

I'd really love to have Sasha Slaine (my sister) here as well, but she's just not biting.

A little help?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I don't have experience with converting real life people, but I would guess the thing to do is tell her funny things you read here, email her links to threads you think she might enjoy from time to time, and then let her get hooked from there. [Smile]

With people in parachat, I just make friends with them first, if that happens, then I invite them to check us out and tell them how to get here. I let them know I think everyone would like them (if that seems true), and just welcome them once they arrive.

I try to go out of my way to make all newbies feel welcome. The ones who aren't keepers will fall away after a short while. Many people who seem abrasive or defensive at first settle right in and become great jatraqueros after they catch on to things. EG is one who comes to mind. We were sure for a while that he and pYx were alter egos, and she seemed pretty trollish. Both of them were a bit abrasive, to tell the truth, particularly by the prevailing standards at that time. But even pYx was an interesting character in some ways, and of course we're all SO glad we didn't lose EG!

I always try to give newbies the benefit of the doubt, and bend way over backwards to help them fit in and feel at home for the first while. If they are true jatraquero types they will stay, and if not they will eventually go. But I hate it if people get scared off just at first before they've even had a chance to really see the place. I know of a few who have and it's a shame. We're a lot poorer for it when that happens, I think.

[ August 28, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. That actually helps, thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Chade, you know, I had a whole big long post, but suffice it to say, yes!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.