FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Weird Muscle Twitch

Author Topic: Weird Muscle Twitch
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
As I was typing just now I felt a muscle in my arm sort of rhythmically contracting. I looked at it and a spot on the back of my arm just below the elbow, about two inches across, was pulsing. I mean very visibly pulsing, like in a cartoon when you see someone’s heart pounding. It did it for about half a minute, then it stopped. Now that spot aches. What on earth is this? Has it happened to anyone else here?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the alien.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a town I know where the hipsters go called Bedrock.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had that happen to muscles in several different parts of my body--most creepily, one on my ribs directly over where your heart supposedly is (it's really more under your sternum--it's just easier to feel between the ribs). I had one that twitched just above my upper lip, making it look like I was sneering, too.

They're annoying, but essentially harmless.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when that happens right next to my eye. It's the oddest feeling EVER. (OK, I've been watching too much That 70's Show. Must go to sleep)
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Kat, that was my first thought.

It’s very strange to have part of your arm just . . . doing something on its own.

[ August 27, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I get a twitch like that sometimes. It goes away on its own relatively quickly so I usually just ignore it. What really irritates me is that from time to time my upper eyelid (almost always the left one) will twitch incessantly. It'll twitch rapidly for a few seconds and then stop for a minute or so, then repeat. Sometimes this goes on for hours! In fact, it's been happening to me several times a day for like a week now!

ARGH!

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

I get the same kinds of twitches. Often an eye twitch comes from a late night of gaming or spending too much time in front of a CRT of some sort. Sometimes I get leg twitches, which bother me while they're happening, but nothing longterm comes from them. I have a theory that it's based on a lack of either potassium or sodium in my diet, so I usually grab a banana after one such twiching episodes.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The muscle in my thigh just above my knee always twitches. I get eye twitches too, and sometimes one of the ones in my back right below my shoulder blade. It's certainly a strange sensation.

I heard somewhere that muscle twitches were a potassium deficiency, so I ate a bunch of bananas for a while. I dind't notices that the twitches were getting any less frequent, and I don't like bananas that much any way, so I quit.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, now there's a bruise developing right over the spot that was pulsing. I don't like this at all.

Stupid alien.

Equality 7-2521
Member # 5586

- posted      Profile for Equality 7-2521   Email Equality 7-2521         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a theory that it's based on a lack of either potassium or sodium in my diet,
I have a theory that when your eye(s) twitches, you need to get a bit more sleep.

I get twitches in my face or thigh, and as soon as I become conscious of it, it goes away. Does this happen to anyone else?

Equality 7-2521

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I get eye twitches, and much more frequently as I've aged (though I'm not old!). They don't go away when I notice them, they annoyingly stick around for a while. I'll start to be afraid that I'm developing a real twitch--There was this fellow TA in grad school who developed a severe tic during our second year. You can bet the rest of us noticed and talked about it. I'm afraid of karma.--and that's about when it will go away.

I think it's likely you're right about the sleep thing, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Equality 7-2521
Member # 5586

- posted      Profile for Equality 7-2521   Email Equality 7-2521         Edit/Delete Post 
Though this whole twitching business seems a bit odd, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only freak out there! *phew*

I just hope I don't end up like your fellow TA in grad school.

Equality 7-2521

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's happened to me, but I dont know what it is, sorry!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when my trigger finger twitches and I'm standing too close to the victim. I'm usually wearing new suit when that happens. What a mess.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Muscle twitches? Yeah, I get those. The funniest one is that, once in a while, the little toe on one of my feet will start twitching from side to side, out away from the rest of the toes and then back. I usually just sit there and watch it until it goes away. It looks really odd. I also get them around my eyes; I'll get them really frequently for awhile, and then it won't happen for months. I have no idea what causes them.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what IS the deal with the eye twitches? Get them, too. Both eyes, but mostly left eye.

::shakes angry fist at sky:: Why do bad things happen to good people?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that everybody gets the occasional muscle twitch, probably most frequently around one of their eyes, but what dkw is talking about sounds different (unless there are a lot of you walking around with spontaneously generated black eyes).

Dkw--is it possible that you actually hit that area on something before the twitching started, and the twitching and the bruise are both a result of that? I know that I sometimes hit my arm or leg on a table and don't really notice it until a bruise starts to form (unfortunate testimony to how often I bump into things, I guess). I know that occasionally when I've whacked my forearm just so, it's caused a muscle twitch that has made one of my fingers jerk around for a minute or so.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get them frequently, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I get them either in the tricep or the thigh and it's always one specific muscle (i.e. one head of the tricep, not the entire thing). I haven't really been able to figure out what causes it. Sometimes it seems to help if I tense the muscle hard for 10 or 15 seconds several times. Maybe it's wearing the muscle out so that it's too tire to twitch.

I've never been bruised by the experience, though. Maybe you're not twitching right. You should practice.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe you're not twitching right. You should practice.
Ok. *practices* Er, how do I stop???
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been most relieved to read how common muscle twitches seem to be. After all, it is not a topic often brought up in polite society. I have been concerned that the affliction was limited to me. It would not be first time family genetic inheritance has let me down. [Wink]

My relief at the discovery that many people seem to have experienced this annoying phenomenon is immense.

Now when my left eye begins to jump about in a highly visible manner, I can ignore the stunned looks that others give me because I know they probably have muscles twitches too but cannot own up to it.

Vastly relieved.

Yours truly

Screechowl

PS Do any of you have ears that twitch? [Smile]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PS Do any of you have ears that twitch?
Voluntarily, yes. I've never had them twitch unless I wanted them to twitch.

Wiggling my ears - yet another of the many attributes that made me a babe magnet in my youth.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The bruise got slowly darker all day yesterday, but it looked a little lighter this morning.

Zan, I think you're right, I'm going to have to practice twitching safely. Right now it seems that my arm has decided it can beat itself up! [Eek!]

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Once whatever muscle that controlled my middle finger started twitching. That was a weird experience.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Once whatever muscle that controlled my middle finger started twitching. That was a weird experience.

I can image! It must have been frightening thinking of the consequences of it twitching at somebody you hardly knew, like a tackle on the football team.

Just try explaining that it was all a muscle twitch. [Angst]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost as funny as a middle finger twitch, but less noticable to others - a butt muscle twitch! [Eek!]

I get muscle twitches sometimes. Often my right eye will twitch. I've occasionally gotten a twitch in my upper arm (which is quite entertaining to watch). Earlier this week I had the dreaded butt twitch! [Monkeys]

[ August 29, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the rest of my body is twitching slightly, and only my eyelid is remaining where it was.

I think I've just stumbled upon brilliance here, people.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Do this intentionally, and you'll be practicing Prana-Bindu exercises.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum
Member # 2549

- posted      Profile for Possum   Email Possum         Edit/Delete Post 
[quote}Maybe the rest of my body is twitching slightly, and only my eyelid is remaining where it was.[/quote]

Apply this to an earthquake and you might really be on to something.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.