FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lamb: The Novel. Any truth in that?

Author Topic: Lamb: The Novel. Any truth in that?
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been passing Christopher Moore's book, "Lamb," around to some of my friends, in particular strong Christian ones. To a person, they have all loved it, which made me happy and warm inside.

Anyway, if you haven't read the book, do so. It just came out in paperback and is this: It is the missing Gospel, if you will, of Biff, Christ's childhood pal. It covers those lean years that aren't talked about much in the Bible...mainly from about 3 years old until just before the Crucifixtion (though it does cover that, too...3 out of 5 Gospels do, now!).

It is a travelogue and raunchy comedy wrapped in a surprisingly touching story about Christ's struggle to figure out who he is, what he is supposed to do and how to do it. Who to ask? God wasn't answering in any way he could understand so he headed off to find the three wise men that sought him out at birth. And he took Biff, called Levi, with him.

I haven't seen any threads on this, at least none came up in the search engine. I thought this site would be a great place to discuss it...

But anyway, he travels to the near and far east to find these three guys and I thought, how neat. What a cool concept.

Then I heard a brief bit on NPR about Indian (the country, not American natives) history and the POSSIBILITY that Jesus traveled and picked up some of the ideology of that very country! Aiieee! Is this true? A real possibility? That he traveled and learned wisdom from other cultures and religions to apply to his own ideas?

Yowza. Really cool. Or is it a pipe dream of mine?

Just curious. This forum is THICK with Bible experts, so what a better place to ask!

Thanks!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard speculation to that effect, but only from a few "out-there" theologians. It's certainly nothing orthodox. More along the lines of people who think Jesus visited England.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Or America...<cough cough>

[Big Grin]

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

----

I figure it's along the same lines as the scholars who like to comb history and declare everyone gay/Viking/African/non-slaveholders. It's just a way of inserting yourself into history.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the same thing. (about Jesus having been in India.)

Kat, [No No] I don't see how that concept is any different than the LDS church trying to insert itself in history with their theology.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.