FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dressing Up For Delivery

Author Topic: Dressing Up For Delivery
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
So we had another appointment with my OB yesterday. Pop asked about a picture in the doctor's office. It was a picture of the doctor dressed up as Gene Simmons for a delivery. He also had a picture where he was wearing a tux. He told us that he will dress up however we wish for our delivery. He has dressed up as the Easter Bunny among other things. He said he could be a cowboy (we DO listen to country music). He didn't know who Strong Bad was, so that is out.

So, Hatrack, do you have any ideas? What, if anything, should we ask the doctor to dress up as for our delivery? The baby is due mid-November.

-Mama Squirrel

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
(Also thought having him deliver the child with boxing gloves on was a bad idea.)
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess baseball catcher would be too easy?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Some ideas:

*Your favorite super hero
*A stork
*Any current political figure that he somewhat resembles
*You
*an Uruk-hai

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the classic 'doctor' look, myself. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking something witch-doctorry.

Although were I the mother, I'd want something that was as reassuring as possible. What body shape is he? Could he dress up like a kindly old family doctor? Old suit, vest, pocket watch, lollipops in the coat pocket, little round (clear) spectacles?

It all comes down to what makes you the most comfortable when seen smiling benevolently between your knees.

I must say I like your OB/GYN, though [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
And remember, his name is John Keats. Maybe we could have him dress like Caleb?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

That's a kick. Maybe he should come dressed as a VERY pregnant woman? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Would the doctor have to turn sideways to deliver the baby like my wife does when she washes dishes?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, obviously: Boris Badenov.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ideas:

Bob Scoptatz
Chipendale Dancer (gets momma's mind off of the contractions)
Gandalph
God (go ahead, try renting that costume)
Alvin Maker
Momma Squirrel (although that may cause confusion. Nurse might put him in the stirrups first, reach up his skirt and say Push. Not a pretty image.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Second thoughts--isn't a doctor dressed up as God redundant?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad your doctor was unaware of who Strong Bad was, because i think it's probably advisable that that grim visage NOT be the first thing your new child sees upon entering this world.

[Angst]

I liked Chris's idea...if I had to choose any "personality," then "kindly old country doctor" is tops. secondary would be a kindly old midwife. Cooing and administering herbs and natural remedies and singing quaint birthing songs...could your doctor pass as a female? [Wink]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that your doctor dresses up for deliveries doesn't worry you at all?

Will he still dress up if it is sudden and unexpected? Does he keep multiple costumes in his car for each delivery request?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Strong Bad?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry *giggle* this is a bit off color, but I couldn't help but share. A giant penis? [ROFL]

This idea comes about because we were watching a re-run of the Daily Show. They had the cutest looking penis mascot walking the streets.
See: Sore Loser

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very interesting Dr that you two have...I've never heard of anything like this!

It wouldn't be too difficult to dress him up as homestar runner. Just throw a red t-shirt over his white lab coat and find a great blue beanie for him... [Smile]

(Maccabeus...I don't know you very well, so I can't tell if you're joking. Do you really not know who Strong Bad is?? Here's is a good link for you, just in case.)

[ August 28, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure you're gonna beat Uruk-hai or witch doctor.

[ August 28, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I wonder if he could dress up like ClaudiaTherese.

That, or maybe he could get hold of a USPS, UPS, or Fed-Ex outfit. There are so many good ideas!

AJ, yes, he keeps the outfits in his car if they've been requested. My fear would be that he ends up delivering out child around the time he was dressed up for someone else's delivery. Kinda pot luck, that.

Macc -- http://www.homestarrunner.com. Christy -- uh, no.

--Pop

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Actually the solution is obvious. He should dress up like Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Both of them.
At the same time.

AJ

P.S. Is this the same guy that delivered Mooslet?

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

No, different doc. Different medical group, different city.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Erik - That is great. We hadn't thought of that one!

Dan - I think having the doctor dressed up as a Chipendale Dancer would scare me more than anything else. Of course, maybe it would scare the baby right out of me!

Anna - Actually, this visit went much better than the last and this made me like him more. He really is funny. He also thinks Pop is funny. I will let Pop tell the story about that one.

-Mama Squirrel

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I almost didn't post it. Kind of like Achilles getting Bean and Petra's kids, if you know what I mean!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

She doesn't. She hasn't read those, despite consistent encouragement from me.

As to thinking I'm funny -- our first visit, Mama and I had been waiting in the room for him to arrive, she on the table, and me in a chair with my feet resting on the rollaround stool. When he came in, he said that he hated it when people put their feet on his stool. I said it was probably better than my putting my stool on his feet, though. He then said we'd get along just fine.

--Pop

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I like the Fed Ex guy. Should cut down on the labor time, because "It absolutely has to be there over night." and "If its not there by 10:00am, we deliver for free."

Even better would be a Domino's Delivery guy. "There in 30 minutes or its on us."

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Pop. (had to be careful and get the right number of o's in there [Big Grin] ) You're fast on your feet.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, the doc dressing up as a character to deliver your baby is a pretty amusing idea. I am not sure how I would have reacted if my doc had suggested that. [Razz] [Eek!]

Shlomo was born on a Sat., so my doc turned up at the hospital in shorts and a t-shirt...but after saying hello and seeing how I was doing, he went and changed into scrubs.

**Ela**

[ August 28, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Are the costumes thoroughly cleaned and sterile?

(still uneasy with the entire concept...)

AJ

Would he take it off for a C-section?

AJ

[ August 28, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
Would he take it off for a C-section?

Mama Squirrel already said she didn't want the Chippendale dancer. Pay attention! [Razz]
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

[ROFL] zgator!
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks*

I'm not sure I'd want my doctor dressed up under any circumstances...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that my last labor's transition went so quickly that my doc didn't make it in time, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about waiting for a costume change!
quote:
Maybe he should come dressed as a VERY pregnant woman?
The same doctor also delivered my first while in HER ninth month. At least she didn't go into labor before I did -- she had her baby on my due date.

Hmm, initially I was thinking I wouldn't want my doctor to dress up, but it clearly couldn't have been any more exciting than what actually did happen.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the garb of a preist?

Or would that just be too personal.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool doc. [Smile]

quote:
I wonder if he could dress up like ClaudiaTherese.
I'm rapidly moving towards Dutch wooden shoes and Islamic casual wear. It's a good look for me, but the hajib might get in the way.
*grin, thrilled to be remembered in Mooseville

So ... are you registered for baby shower somewhere online, hmmm?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the doc has 4 patients in labor, all of whom requested different costumes? This seems odd to me.

My doc was only in the room for 30 minutes and 28 of those minutes were pushing minutes. Since I progressed way to fast to get the epidural I was promised, I couldn't have cared less, or probably wouldn't have even noticed if he'd been dressed like a Martian. Unless of course there was some type of weapon involved in his costume. I might have noticed that and used it on him. So, all in all, it's probably a good thing he didn't dress up. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

We're re-ultrasounding tomorrow to be a little more sure of the gender, then we'll probably be registering, though we haven't decided for sure as yet where we'll do that. If it's definitely a boy, there won't even be very much stuff that we'll need anyway. And we certainly don't expect anything from Hatrackers, though the thought is most appreciated.

The doc is pretty cool, but those two suggestions probably wouldn't go over so well. That's just a guess, though.

--Pop

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, you will be denying one of your communities the opportunity to be with you metaphorically, at least in part, if you don't permit the discussion of your registry.

You can email me, and I'll be discreet. But it's kind of like having to bear up under three toasters at the wedding gift table. [Big Grin] We, er, have a right (?) to make sure you get more onesies than you can shake a stick out.

Heyyyy, that reminds me ... [Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I loved onesies. All those cute outfits my son had pretty much never got worn, but onesies were worn everyday! Sometime 5 or 6 a day! The absolute best invention that ever was. Well, that disposable diapers.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Speaking to my wife yesterday, she suggested:

A Football Player.

Basically, a QB. Mamma is the center. Hut one, Hut two. Hike!

This may not be a good idea for two reasons.

One, he might play reciever, and go long and deep.

Two, that uncontrollable urge to spike the football after a TD.

On the other hand, the rest of the nurses, Papa, and assorted attendants can stand around and do the wave:

[The Wave]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

I'm a little behind on things. Congratulations!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Ender? Remember the enemy's gate is....

No. Sorry. I can't finish it.

-Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry again. I can't believe I posted that!

[Wall Bash]

-Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.