FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If we were laid bare...

Author Topic: If we were laid bare...
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, blatantly-able-to-be-taken-out-of-context title, but I suppose I'm becoming famous for that...

What I really want to know is what would happen if everyone on earth had a mind-to-mind connection. If everyone was able to speak to another person's mind and feel what they felt.

It would be an amazing change. You would immediately be able to tell who was more complex than another person. You would immediately be able to feel another person's pain. You would immediately be able to tell that guy who cut you off in traffic to shove it somewhere unpleasant.

But would you want to? And it would be a killing pain after a while. If you had weak shielding, you would be bombarded constantly by the troubles of hungry babies, PMS-y women, and kids with mosquito bites.

What it all boils down to is would it be better or would it be worse?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the protagonist of Robinson's Time Pressure! If you are truely telepathic, and can read my mind, you gotta die!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
worse. I hate having empathy...
It's agonizing.
But then, there would not be so much talking and people would understand each other instantly... it depends...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

- posted      Profile for meltingsnowman           Edit/Delete Post 
Worse, I would miss the sounds of peoples' voices.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if we all could feel each other's feelings and speak directly to each other's minds, it would not necessarily lead to greater understanding. We would constantly be innundated with extemporaneous information and emotion - so much so, that I doubt if we would be able to function. Even if we could somehow manage to function, there is no guarantee that we would all interpret each other's feeling the same way (hence, no guarantee of perfect understanding). The pessimistic part of me doubts that everyone would use such information to do good - greed, selfishness, and corruption are too rampant.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
It would have to be like a phone: both parties willingly participating and making an open connection... otherwise, as everyone points out, it'd be too noisy.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I think of it like this most people seem to take from granted that one mans thoughts are just like another, thus if someone could read a mind they could read everyones mind. To me it makes more sense that it would be easier for a person to read a certain group of minds, and be able to pick up vague images from others. You might say that its like the pattern in Octavia Butlers books ( wild seed etc.) However that really wasn't your question.

Here is the thing I believe that being able to know what people are thinking and knowing all the time wouldn't really be that much different from how a lot of people are right now! I mean look at body language, most people are rather horrible liars. we do pretty much know what most other people are thinking, at least I seem to pickup a lot of that. Plus I don't believe thoughts are painful at all, its what the thoughts make our body do. Its the adrenaline and various other chemicals your thoughts flood into your body that make you feel as you do. That and if anything dying is a peaceful thing as in death all their thoughts are shut out, plus is physical pain actually a thought, or simply a nerve impulse. Think of it like that [Wink]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Wars. Lots of Wars.

Not to mention shocked, dumbfounded, and wholly offended women the very SECOND they inadvertantly 'hear' what men are thinking.

That stuff about us thinking about sex every four seconds? utter garbage. Not a one of us has anything else to fill the other three seconds with, so why change subjects?

[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We would either go crazy, or we would become "the collective" (Species 5618) with one powerful mind controlling all the others...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought, too--that we'd all be overloaded by other people's thoughts, like the guy in that Borges story "Shakespeare's Memory." After all, that's what usually happens when people born deaf gain their hearing. They're overwhelmed by all this new stimulus because their brains haven't learned how to filter out the white noise.

But if we were born with the capacity for mind-to-mind communication, I think we would learn to use it as well as any other sense. I'm not sure we'd really know each other all that much better, though. No doubt people would learn to fabricate certain emotions when they know other people are reading them, just like people modify their expression and body language now. And I'm sure we'd still edit the thoughts we send others. We just wouldn't have the same physical barriers, which might make us less inhibited.

So basically things would be a lot like they are online...

[ August 29, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Deirdre ]

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
just out of curiousity, and mischevious rhetoric,
[Evil]
aren't most people bare when laid? [Monkeys]

[ August 29, 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Pod ]

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The joke was too easy, Pod. Er, I mean....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Pod, you've never been in a hurry?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
i've got nimble fingers, the shedding of clothing is no obsticle. [Evil Laugh] [Cool]

[ August 29, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Pod ]

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
That can be taken so wrong, Pod....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Egads! Can you imagine trying to teach in a Middle School classroom with this ability?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, especially if you were good looking.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I look like laid bare.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Needless to say, darnit! [Wink]
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Many advantages on an individual basis... [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing that'd happen if you tried to run a computer without any virus protection...

The average person would be "infected" by other folks' irrational concepts on a grand scale. I was working on a novel something like this, tentatively entitled The One-Ied Man; however, it is on hold (as usual... [Wall Bash]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.