FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Disgruntled" does not mean what reporters think it means - but wait!

Author Topic: "Disgruntled" does not mean what reporters think it means - but wait!
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who follows the news has probably heard we had what was, even for Chicago, a major killing spree here this week. I don't want to make light of the seriousness or tragedy of what happened - 6 innocent people and the gunman himself were dead when it was all over.

The gunman was an ex-employee of the small company where the bloodbath occurred. Apparently this wasn't absolutely clear in the first wave of coverage.

The AP headline that was issued immediately carried this headline:

quote:
Disgruntled worker opens fire at Chicago warehouse; 7 dead, including gunman, authorities say

This got me wondering, not for the first time, when and how the press decided that "disgruntled" was the word of choice to use to describe some person who takes a gun and blows away a bunch of coworkers.

According to the dictionary, "disgruntled" means "ill-humored or discontented."

Seems to me that underpaid teachers working for their 2nd year in a row without a contract could be described accurately as "disgruntled." A disgruntled worker might have a lousy attitude, leave work early, or badmouth the boss.

Now, to be fair, the term "disgruntled" was dropped from coverage by the next day. My question is why was it used at all? Why is it ever used in cases like this?

[ December 09, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy in my job. Does that mean that I am "gruntled?"
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What are gruntles? Why does the removal of them cause discontent?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could argue that someone who goes on a shooting spree is disgruntled in the extreme. I think it would be more fun if they used "malcontent". [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A better word, Miffed.

Peeved?
Slightly piqued?
Not quite as happy?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
un-ecstatic?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Here's one:

Guy having a really bad day. (and, yeah, most if not all of these are by guys.)

Farmgirl: disgruntled belongs to the same "club" and "nonplussed" and "nonpareil."

Not to mention that other word "escalator" - escalate usually means to intensify or go up (didn't use the dictionary here, be kind). Yet "escalators" go both "up" and "down."

Hint - in some of these cases, we have the French to blame - or ourselves for partially adopting their words.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Equality 7-2521
Member # 5586

- posted      Profile for Equality 7-2521   Email Equality 7-2521         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I think that to be willing to mow down a bunch of people and then yourself you've got to be a little beyond disgruntled. So, imo, disgruntled just doesn’t work. Though a few other words come to mind which might be suitable: evil, hateful, psychotic or malevolent.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the problem is that some AP writers use words like disgruntled to sound a little more important without really increasing the reading level of their piece. Unfortunately, they misuse words, which muddies the English language.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Headline in todays Chicago Sun-Times:

Disgruntled soldiers air gripes at Rumsfeld

quote:
CAMP BUEHRING, Kuwait -- Disgruntled soldiers complained to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Wednesday about long deployments and a lack of armored vehicles.

Note: Rumsfeld faced a roomful of "disgruntled" soldiers and did not get shot at.

I hope this heralds a new era in the appropriate usage of the word "disgruntled" in press coverage.

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps wigged-out would be sufficient?
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
"Crazy a** m*f* opens fire..."

Works for me! The use of disgruntled as an adjective for someone who goes on a shooting spree has always kinda irked me too, sndrake.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You know Space Opera, I would love, just once, to hear a serious news show open with that! I'm sure the FCC would spoil everything, but it sure would be funny!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:

[ROFL]

Works for me, too!

It's interesting, though, that long experience with the usual media usage of the word conjured up a picture of Rumsfeld diving for cover.

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a strange thing but newspapers and other media outlets often "downplay" incidents. Maybe it's some half-hearted desire to not be sensationalistic...

Just think of how many times they use the word "accident" when they mean crash. Disgruntled for flipped-out and gun-wielding.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a strange thing but newspapers and other media outlets often "downplay" incidents.
WHAT?! I think it's quite the opposite... They turn every little thing into BIG NEWS! In this case, they probably don't really know what disgruntled means, that's all...

And I've seen news on Romanian, French, English, European (Euronews), Canadian and American newspapers & TV channels, and I must say that the Canadian and American ones make even the smallest thing look much more spectacular than the average European news. It's like everything's a show... It really bothers me sometimes... And apparently we're starting to learn from that! Sheesh... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[ROFL]

Space Opera thinks like I do.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.