FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Adventures of Tresopax in Hatrack River: Book 4 - an introduction

Author Topic: The Adventures of Tresopax in Hatrack River: Book 4 - an introduction
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Each and every soul, whether savior, saint, or sinner, is an epic hero of its own sort, with its own story, its own significance, and it's own singularly unique quests. That's what I believe, and in fact is the foundation of a great many of the things I have come to believe. It is also what I have always felt is the theme of Hatrack, if forums can be said to have themes, although I suppose a forum like this merely reflects the natural themes of life. Everyone has their own story progressing, each interacting with every other in ways ranging from minute to massive.

A little over three years ago the first book of the Adventures of Tresopax in Hatrack River began. And like a former muggle first arriving at Hogwarts, I found myself in a magical place where I felt I belonged in a way I never did in that place I had come from. I came to reside and talk in those moments I could spare from that distracting, disturbing outer world. I came as Tresopax, a truer self, armed only with the sword of reason, which I wielded (and probably continue to wield) like a novice. Some, I suppose, could call Hatrack a form of escapism for me. Others might label it a guilty pleasure. Still others would scoff at such negativity and declare Hatrack the expression of a deeper truth. I fall into the last category.

I think life should be treated like a children's novel, and that children's novels exist to remind us of that. The only problem is that the forces, pains, and annoyances of the world force us to act otherwise. Even here in a place that exists primarily out of thoughts and imaginations that holds true and people bicker, worry, and fight over ultimately trivial matters. There are weighty matters in this world - life and death and the battle against You-Know-Who - but I believe it should all be viewed with an appropriate mixture of awe and silliness, like a child reading about the weighty matters of his favorite hero, as hard as it is to view things that way most of the time. It is very hard for me to approach all of life with such an attitude, but it is at least the way I approach Hatrack as I come back again and again. Awe and silliness. Understand this and forgive me if I am mistaken in doing so.

So, now I am returning to begin the fourth book of the Adventures of Tresopax in Hatrack River. For those counting, that's three books down - three years - each in the series becoming seemingly darker than the last. From the initial awe of posting, to the fall of the Young Writers Forum, to the arrival of Xaposert, to the exit of some of the great Jatraqueros, to the claims of Hatrack's decline, and finally to the near ending of the Tresopax handle at 4000. Book three ended in a cliff-hanger for me, with an journey back from Hatrack to reality - a journey that quickly turned far off track, taking me to a place between Hatrack and reality to face things darker than I could have expected. Fortunately I have escaped, perhaps not victoriously but nevertheless intact, to roam the streets of Hatrack River yet again. Who knows what book four will bring? Perhaps a love interest? Or perhaps my 'hormones' will kick in and I will be mad at everyone. Only thing I know is it will take me one step closer to the final battle in this existential mental war between good and evil - or perhaps between truth and fantasy - or meaning and pointlessness. Thanks in advance to everyone who will accompany me - thanks that has too long gone unspoken. I look forward to being a character in your stories as well, hopefully a positive one.

And remember, this is serious and silly business - both. At least that's my 2 cents.

<Wanders off into the forum somewhere>

[ August 29, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(For one, is glad to see Tresopax here.)

But that Xaposert... (growls)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, doesn't everyone just feel all fuzzy inside now.

It's so difficult, sometimes, to remember not to get caught up in all the silly bickering and worrying. They seem to work their way into every aspect of life - work and school, friends and family, and even Hatrack. I'm very thankful when someone takes the time to step back and remind me just how little many of these matter in the long run. Life always seems better when I use the appropriate dosages of Jeni with Inej.

So thank YOU for helping me keep these things in mind. I'm very glad you made it back for your fourth book, intact. Hopefully it turns out to be a full series, and not just a quartet.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before but...

If everyone is the hero of their own individual story, some people's stories just suck.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, Slash. Ouch.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hack.

[Razz]

I don't get the symbolism, but congratulations anyway!

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

Of course some people's stories suck, Slash. So? I just do my best for mine not to. [Razz]

[Wave] Tres

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't directed at Tres, AKA.

He and I have had that discussion before. That guy who kidnapped five women and held them hostage while he repeatedly raped them for months and years? That guys story sucks.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't know about that. Sounds like the makings of a summer blockbuster to me.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you again Tresopax!

[Smile]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Not all stories end happily... some heroes end in defeat and failure. Some discover in the end that all along they had been horribly mistaken. And some, the most unfortunate of all, are equally mistaken and never even manage to discover it. That doesn't mean their stories aren't great, or at least, I wouldn't think so. It just means their stories are sad.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.